PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wade's block on Harrison deemed legal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click on the thumbnails for a larger view:

-Notice, in the above shot, how Wade is turned back inside (just barely - line up the yard marker arrows). That is an ILLEGAL crackback block, going low on a defender when you are outside the formation, blocking towards the inside.

Last edited:

didnt read this before but BB actually thinks the hit was illegal

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/01/winning_note/

And while coach Bill Belichick was indeed proud of his team following yesterday's 40-23 victory over the Titans -- and noted that the Patriots' goals remain ahead in the playoffs, starting Sunday against the New York Jets (1 p.m.) -- he also was seething. Big time.

The focus of his wrath was Titans receiver Bobby Wade, who executed a low, second-quarter block that took out safety Rodney Harrison's legs, and turned the regular-season finale between the Patriots and Titans at LP Field into a simmering battle of bad blood.

On the play in question, Wade lined up as a receiver to the right side on third and 1. As the handoff went to Titans running back Travis Henry to that side, Wade blocked toward the middle of the field, lunging low at Harrison's legs. Harrison went down with a thud, banging the field with his right fist. He never returned, and it was unclear how serious he was injured after the game.

Belichick felt the play was illegal, because players aren't allowed to block below the waist from the outside part of the field to the inside part.

Seems BB was very p**sed off.

Great post Pats1, a perfect example of someone backing things up with evidence, if everyone posted with this mindset it would be great.

That being said this makes it pretty clear that it was an illegal block, how the NFL can look at this and say that it wasn't I cannot understand.

The play before, Wade caught a quick out and Rodney looked to give him a little extra humping action on the ground long after Wade was down. When Wade got up, Rodney gave him a little bit of a hug and Wade pat Rodney on his helmet. They both went separate ways seemingly fine.

I'm working on photos of the block.

On the run, Wade was lined up wide right and stuttered towards Rodney, and then Wade ducked and went low.

Thanks for posting the pics, pats1, good analysis as usual.

Does anyone remember seeing this whole "Fisher and Wade laughing on the sidelines" stuff Bruschi apparently was mad about?

Great post Pats1, a perfect example of someone backing things up with evidence, if everyone posted with this mindset it would be great.

That being said this makes it pretty clear that it was an illegal block, how the NFL can look at this and say that it wasn't I cannot understand.

I agree, likewise, how could they say the hit on Brady wasn't spearing? I just don't trust Pereira at all anymore.

BB's words

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=174903

On the other side, the Patriots believed Bobby Wade targeted safety Rodney Harrison [stats] with a dirty block. The Pats were further incensed when they spotted the receiver mocking their fallen teammate, who will likely miss at least one playoff game as a result.
“That (expletive) is over there laughing about it,” a fuming coach Bill Belichick said to the Boston Globe.

Nice work, pats1.

I don't know why the NFL expects is to believe their bs. We all have the video evidence. We know the rules. Just admit your guys made a mistake.

Just what I was about to say.

Makes me look back at that conspiracy theory thread, and think twice...

this is the 2nd example of the refs turning their back on illegal hits against the pats..

hmmm *yawn* it must be another "coincidence"

Can anyone post a video of the play? The still photos posted don't show where Wade lined up or the direction he was moving, which are critical elements of a crackback block.

Can anyone post a video of the play? The still photos posted don't show where Wade lined up or the direction he was moving, which are critical elements of a crackback block.

He was aligned 6 yards off the OT in a 2 by 2 set off the TE. He clearly takes an inside angle and cuts the INSIDE thigh of Harrison...which is weird because when you coach someone to seal cut you have them aim for the outside thigh. It was a Crack Back.

I don't think it was illegal, but I do think it was cheap and dirty. When a reciever goes to make a block like that 99% of the time they turn their shoulder and take out the guys legs and torso with their body. In this case the guy bent over and put his helmet right on the area of Rodney's knee, it looks awkward because he had to go out of his way to make the block like that instead of the way its normally done.

Bingo. You're exactly right.

We have to face one thing: Rodney is no spring chicken. He's got a lot of mileage on his frame. I love his spirit but sometimes the body just can't keep up, not up to NFL standards, anyway. Stuff that could have been avoided is more difficult to escape as one ages (believe me). Having said that, Rodney is one great guy to have on the team, and hope he heals in a flash and can come back soon.

He was aligned 6 yards off the OT in a 2 by 2 set off the TE. He clearly takes an inside angle and cuts the INSIDE thigh of Harrison...which is weird because when you coach someone to seal cut you have them aim for the outside thigh. It was a Crack Back.

I'd rather see a clip, if there is one, since the NFL apparently doesn't agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes