PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

VIDEO: Reiss posts video of Burfict stepping on Blount's leg after TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it would or wouldnt be a PI call but you cant tell me from watching that video he isnt reacvting to TBs pump fake.

I've watched it numerous times and I can tell you, flat out, that Burfict's intent was to injure Bennett regardless of the situation. Yes, I can tell you that Burfict isn't reacting to the pump fake because not even watching Brady. Watch Burfict's head. It's never looking at Brady.. He is strictly focused on going at Bennett's knees.

Burfict's Wiki page is pretty spot on

I watched the last half of that game with my heart in my throat, waiting for Gronk, or Brady, or Edelman to get knocked out for the season due to that maniac. A real tell to me was that Belichick did not go insane screaming at Gronk, and was more like, Ok, calm down, stop, but not, WTF did you do that for rage. IMO Belichick loves the passion and goofyness displayed by Gronk, and that in concert with his clear committment to his team, and his many repeated years of therapy to get back onto playing shape, is why he IMO gives Gronk a little more latitude in how he expresses himself on the field. And I doubt if a single player on the team begrudges gronk that.

I watched the last half of that game with my heart in my throat, waiting for Gronk, or Brady, or Edelman to get knocked out for the season due to that maniac. A real tell to me was that Belichick did not go insane screaming at Gronk, and was more like, Ok, calm down, stop, but not, WTF did you do that for rage. IMO Belichick loves the passion and goofyness displayed by Gronk, and that in concert with his clear committment to his team, and his many repeated years of therapy to get back onto playing shape, is why he IMO gives Gronk a little more latitude in how he expresses himself on the field. And I doubt if a single player on the team begrudges gronk that.
Other than what Tom Jackson would have you believe, it's pretty obvious to anyone who watches of the love and respect between Belichick and the players that give him everything he asks for.

@Dagg - I'm not sure that you can have a cogent conversation on the topic. Here is what you have disagreed with so far:

- That Burfict going for Bennett's knees is illegal
- That Burfict's hit is a hit that ends careers
- That Burfict was going for Bennett's knees intentionally
- That Burfict couldn't have been faked by Brady's pump fake because he wasn't looking at Brady even though the video shows this conclusively..

The fact that you are, essentially, giving Burfict a pass on what everyone outside of Dan Fouts considers to be a dirty play is just mind-boggling..

This and the ridiculous shot at Bennett's knees, second time, should warrant a suspension and of course the loss if first and fourth round draft picks for the team that can't control him.
Yeah, except Goodell will suspend him for not hurting a Patriot. Publically, he'll say otherwise.

I've watched it numerous times and I can tell you, flat out, that Burfict's intent was to injure Bennett regardless of the situation. Yes, I can tell you that Burfict isn't reacting to the pump fake because not even watching Brady. Watch Burfict's head. It's never looking at Brady.. He is strictly focused on going at Bennett's knees.

Burfict's Wiki page is pretty spot on

In this case we will have to agree to disagree. I dont like Burfict anymore than the next guy and yes he's a turd and a cheap shot artist. I just dont agree on this one after watching the film over and over and him reacting to Bradys arm motion. If you are playing LB and Brady is staring at Bennett and starts to **** back his arm to throw you step up in the zone and try and make a play. Just trying to look at the film objectively

Now he certainly didnt need to go low as someone else mentioned buts IMO its his reaction as a LB looking right at Brady.

Hitting someone in the knees is a perfectly legal hit on just about every NFL play so what are you talking about.
You can cut block at the knees, you can tackle at the knees, its only illegal to go low on a QB in the pocket. Now it would have been PI buts its not illegal.

Any hit can end careers, he certainly was looking at Brady

In fact more than ever over the middle its commonplace due to the fact you cant head hunt any longer.

Players always go low now because the NFL wants and encourages that. If he went high, he would have been flagged and fined, or even possibly suspended. This is on the NFL, not the players. The NFL does not want to get sued for head injuries because they are protecting their image and investments. It must be very different for defenders to actually play good defense because of the rules now because the speed of the game does not allow you to adjust yourself after making a decision.

If I was a defender in todays NFL, I would be doing the same because I wouldn't want to get fined or suspended. You have to look at it from another perspective sometimes. If the NFL had to choose between concussions or torn ACL's, they would choose torn ACL's. If the NFL's starts fining players for going low, then they might as well begin the transition to flag football because that's where its headed with this watered down NFL that we have now.

Last edited:
My question is.. Is there a legitimate Bounty competition going on in the Bengals locker room.

If I am one of the suspended players from the Saints I'll be getting this message out to the media.

This dude is a real piece of dirt. They should be going after his (Burfict's) knees on every play. Have an OT hold him up and Bennet chop his knees out. Better him than us.

Refs / NFL are a joke. THis guy should have been thrown out of the game for that play and suspended next week.

In this case we will have to agree to disagree. I dont like Burfict anymore than the next guy and yes he's a turd and a cheap shot artist. I just dont agree on this one after watching the film over and over and him reacting to Bradys arm motion. If you are playing LB and Brady is staring at Bennett and starts to **** back his arm to throw you step up in the zone and try and make a play. Just trying to look at the film objectively

Now he certainly didnt need to go low as someone else mentioned buts IMO its his reaction as a LB looking right at Brady.

Hitting someone in the knees is a perfectly legal hit on just about every NFL play so what are you talking about.
No it's not. You can't chop block if a player in engaged with someone else and IIRC at least one Patriot already got flagged for it this season... You can't hit a receiver in the knees or anywhere if they don't have the ball and they are more than a yard downfield on a passing play or if the ball is in the air....
We're not discussing tackling but blocking and blocking below the knees is an illegal low block.....
You can cut block at the knees, you can tackle at the knees, its only illegal to go low on a QB in the pocket. Now it would have been PI buts its not illegal.

In fact more than ever over the middle its commonplace due to the fact you cant head hunt any longer.
#2 and #3 are correct but not #1............

You can cut block anyone. Cut block by definition is a low block to the legs/knees. Im not talking about a high/low or a chop block where the payer is already engaged that has always been illegal and is very dangerous.

Cut blocking
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In gridiron football, cut blocking is an offensive line technique that consists of an offensive player knocking a defensive player down by hitting his knees.[1] The technique, which was initially instilled by Bobb McKittrick, the offensive line coach of the San Francisco 49ers from 1979 to 1999,[2] is often criticized as being "dirty."[3] Additionally, it is often illegal for an offensive player to "cut" a defensive player already engaged with another offensive player. This is considered a "chop block." In the NCAA, cut blocking is allowed as long as the block is no more than five yards away from the line of scrimmage and it is inside the tackle box.[3] TheFall Experimental Football League banned use of the cut block.[4]

If I was a defender in todays NFL, I would be doing the same because I wouldn't want to get fined or suspended. You have to look at it from another perspective sometimes. If the NFL had to choose between concussions or torn ACL's, they would choose torn ACL's. If the NFL's starts fining players for going low, then they might as well begin the transition to flag football because that's where its headed with this watered down NFL that we have now.

If only there were a way to tackle people low that didn't involve putting a shoulder into their knee. Perhaps this mythical technique could be called wrapping up the lower legs. Or wrapping up the thighs.

You can cut block anyone. Cut block by definition is a low block to the legs/knees. Im not talking about a high/low or a chop block where the payer is already engaged that has always been illegal and is very dangerous.

Cut blocking
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In gridiron football, cut blocking is an offensive line technique that consists of an offensive player knocking a defensive player down by hitting his knees.[1] The technique, which was initially instilled by Bobb McKittrick, the offensive line coach of the San Francisco 49ers from 1979 to 1999,[2] is often criticized as being "dirty."[3] Additionally, it is often illegal for an offensive player to "cut" a defensive player already engaged with another offensive player. This is considered a "chop block." In the NCAA, cut blocking is allowed as long as the block is no more than five yards away from the line of scrimmage and it is inside the tackle box.[3] TheFall Experimental Football League banned use of the cut block.[4]

Yeah, but Bennett was an eligible receiver, without the ball more than five yards from the line of scrimmage. By the definition you provided, Burfict's action does not qualify as a cut block.

If only there were a way to tackle people low that didn't involve putting a shoulder into their knee. Perhaps this mythical technique could be called wrapping up the lower legs. Or wrapping up the thighs.

The hit knocked the player down and didn't injure him, and wasn't even a hit to the knee. If this was Hightower doing the same thing no one would have an issue.

The sentence in bold shows that you didn't bother to actually watch the video imho. There is no way Burfict was looking at Brady. His helmet was facing 90 degrees from where Brady was standing. BENNETT was facing Brady..

No, hitting someone in the knees from behind is not perfectly legal when they aren't in the play.

BTW, if it's Pass Interference, then yes, it is illegal.. *SMH*

I'm done with you..

The hit knocked the player down and didn't injure him, and wasn't even a hit to the knee. If this was Hightower doing the same thing no one would have an issue.
You have no authority to speak for anyone but yourself.

I will believe Matt Chatham's opinion.

there is a decent shot of this on the TV replay. i slowed it down to 20% of regular speed to see what was going on.

looking at it, i don't think burfict stomps on blount's leg. what looks like him stomping is actually him stepping over some players on the ground, including blount.

what causes blount to react is that burfict is pulling blount's jersey and his facemask to pull him off the pile:

somebody with a twitter account want to send this link to reiss?

Done.
Screenshot_20161018-141242.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161018-141242.jpg
    Screenshot_20161018-141242.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 4
You have no authority to speak for anyone but yourself.

I will believe Matt Chatham's opinion.

I don't claim to speak for Matt Chatham. I will note that in his video he repeatedly says that Burfict went through the "back" of Bennett's knee. That's a great place to go if you want to take someone down, not great if you want to blow out their knee. For that, you would go to the side of the knee. See Pollard, Bernard.

I don't claim to know what Burfict was trying to do, but if he wanted to destroy a knee, he picked an ineffective way of doing it.

I have said from the beginning it was unecessary roughness. I just don't see evidence of an attempt to maim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back