PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[VIDEO] Mac Jones Can't Throw Deep

In this one, I honestly can't tell if these guys are that stupid, or just being clickbait trolls. But you'd think they'd not want to have black and white statements like this, just for click bait, would come back to haunt them.

In this one, I honestly can't tell if these guys are that stupid, or just being clickbait trolls. But you'd think they'd not want to have black and white statements like this, just for click bait, would come back to haunt them.
What I wouldn't give for some talking heads on "The Worldwide Leader" OR FS1 that aren't just hot take machines.

Thing about sports talk is, based on ratings, it's better to be loud than quiet, moreso than being right or wrong. It's like the old Eddie Izzard bit: 70% is how you look, 20% is how you sound, and only 10% is what you say. Which is why Kennedy could go to Berlin, tell the crowd he's a donut, and the crowd goes f'ing WILD because he sounded good while saying it.

Thing about sports talk is, based on ratings, it's better to be loud than quiet, moreso than being right or wrong. It's like the old Eddie Izzard bit: 70% is how you look, 20% is how you sound, and only 10% is what you say. Which is why Kennedy could go to Berlin, tell the crowd he's a donut, and the crowd goes f'ing WILD because he sounded good while saying it.

To be fair (I know, not popular here) "I am a donut" is very close phonetically to "I am a Berliner." The crowd got that.

To be fair (I know, not popular here) "I am a donut" is very close phonetically to "I am a Berliner." The crowd got that.

Oh for sure, but the point is they would have had a very different reaction if he went up there mumbling and stuttering and then ended on "I am a donut". But confidence makes anything sound better, especially to a crowd that wants to hear it. So Rex Ryan confidently assuring the rest of the football world that they don't have to worry about Mac Jones because it's all smoke and mirrors is going to get very positive reactions from a lot of fans.

When has anything come back to haunt any of these guys? That’s why we do it - we let them. People still post threads about what Felger and Mazz say, despite claiming that they know they’re trying to get a rise out of people. It’s working because they’re spreading who they are. I literally know nothing about who Nick Wright is, but people keep posting some “hot takes” he does, and the links at the top of this page go to NESN and USA Today ”articles” saying, “Nick Wright still has this to say about Mac Jones.” It’s horrible.

I should have learned this lesson back when I was a teenager and Jim Rome made a name for himself with the “Chris” Everett fight. That crap should have cost him his career. Instead, it *made* his career.

Last edited:
I am not worried about Jones and the deep ball.

I am, however, a bit curious (not worried, just curious) to see how that southern boy adapts to New England weather. I mean, prior to being drafted, has this guy ever played a game north of the mason-dixon line? What's the furthest north he has played? Kentucky? It's a long way from the Gulf Coast to December/January in Foxboro, Buffalo and Kansas City.

I am sure Belichick will let the team practice indoors this winter season. :cool: :cool: </sarcasm>

Last edited:
I am, however, a bit curious (not worried just curious) to see how that southern boy adapts to New England weather. I mean, prior to being drafted, has this guy ever played a game north of the mason-dixon line? What's the furthest north he has played? Kentucky?

It's a long way from the Gulf Coast to December/January in Foxboro.

I am, however, a bit curious (not worried, just curious) to see how that southern boy adapts to New England weather. I mean, prior to being drafted, has this guy ever played a game north of the mason-dixon line? What's the furthest north he has played? Kentucky? It's a long way from the Gulf Coast to December/January in Foxboro, Buffalo and Kansas City.

I am sure Belichick will let the team practice indoors this winter season. :cool: :cool: </sarcasm>

Jones' handspan is 9.75", which is bigger than Brady's 9.38"...so Jones can at least somewhat grip the ball in cold weather/high winds.

For reference, here is a list of the largest handspans in the NFL as of maybe 6-7 years ago (old article that mentions McNair, RIP):

====================

We will definitely see the next 2 weeks at home vs. the Titans...and then at Buffalo for a Monday Nighter....I expect the winds to be howling for that one at least.

Nobody likes cold weather football...and I expect Jones to prepare himself as well as he can...and probably put more velocity on the ball. The good news is that it plays in our favor as we are a defensive/rushing/ST coverage team primarily....

The sole purpose of Sportstalk TV or radio is for the mediots to "gin up" controversy... only could watch about a minute of this tripe, trying to think why I would care about what they have to say..

Tom Brady and Julian Edelman grew up in an area of California that never sees snow and Brady was the best cold weather NFL QB of the modern era and Edelman is one of the most clutch pass catchers in playoff history.

When has anything come back to haunt any of these guys? That’s why we do it - we let them. People still post threads about what Felger and Mazz say, despite claiming that they know they’re trying to get a rise out of people. It’s working because they’re spreading who they are. I literally know nothing about who Nick Wright is, but people keep posting some “hot takes” he does, and the links at the top of this page go to NESN and USA Today ”articles” saying, “Nick Wright still has this to say about Mac Jones.” It’s horrible.

I should have learned this lesson back when I was a teenager and Jim Rome made a name for himself with the “Chris” Everett fight. That crap should have cost him his career. Instead, it *made* his career.
I guess I understand if you're a little kid but adults watch and take this seriously?

Also ...

Nice find. People forget that Mac Jones was a monster in the college game last year on route to winning the National Title with Alabama.

4500 passing yards 41 TDs and only 4 picks on 77% passing. Yes he did have some premium weapons in that Alabama offense, but he still had to deliver all those throws. At least I know when you give Jones a Ferrari, he has shown he can drive it at its very top high end speed.

Right now with the Pats offense, Mac has downgraded to more of like a Toyota Rav4, an SUV that has some nice creature comforts, but not really what you'd call high octane, high end options on the outside. But that'll do just fine, he has driven that vehicle to the top of the AFC East. He's not the flashy guy, or the flamboyant guy with the big brim hat like Cam Newton, but the kid's shown out as a winner so far.

Mac's arm talent as well as his makeup are just vastly underrated and knocked by just about everyone. The scary part of the Mac Jones story for all his haters, the kid is still a rookie, and he's only going to get better as he progresses. Mac doesn't 'wow' you with his throws, but he can make the ones that matter and he throws those passes with such anticipation and timing that it allows the receiver to make the play on the ball. And that's the real key to deep throws, that a lot of casual observers miss, let your guy make the play and keep it away from the defender.

Jones' handspan is 9.75", which is bigger than Brady's 9.38"...so Jones can at least somewhat grip the ball in cold weather/high winds.

For reference, here is a list of the largest handspans in the NFL as of maybe 6-7 years ago (old article that mentions McNair, RIP):

====================

We will definitely see the next 2 weeks at home vs. the Titans...and then at Buffalo for a Monday Nighter....I expect the winds to be howling for that one at least.

Nobody likes cold weather football...and I expect Jones to prepare himself as well as he can...and probably put more velocity on the ball. The good news is that it plays in our favor as we are a defensive/rushing/ST coverage team primarily....
Mac is 60th percentile in handsize:

Tom Brady and Julian Edelman grew up in an area of California that never sees snow and Brady was the best cold weather NFL QB of the modern era and Edelman is one of the most clutch pass catchers in playoff history.

Where'd they go to college?

Four years playing in the Big House probably helped Brady. Same with Edelman @ Dix Stadium.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back