PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vereen is back in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like about Ridley and Vereen is that they will not be predictable as BJGE and Woodhead are (Jets playoff game last year).

Ridley's pass catching ability has been a huge surprise! Vereen, we haven't seen yet, but by all that I have seen written about him is that he is an every down back. Lets see how each of them do picking up the blitz.

What I like about Ridley and Vereen is that they will not be predictable as BJGE and Woodhead are (Jets playoff game last year).

Ridley's pass catching ability has been a huge surprise! Vereen, we haven't seen yet, but by all that I have seen written about him is that he is an every down back. Lets see how each of them do picking up the blitz.

I really like that as well. BJGE is not a pass catching RB and Woodhead really isn't much of a guy to run between the tackles. Ridley has surprised us by being much quicker/shiftier than first thought, he has the speed to bounce the ball outside and the ability to run between the tackles and make cuts without losing speed. Oh, and he obviously can catch the ball much better than anybody thought as well.

Vereen is supposed to be a bigger and stronger Kevin Faulk. Obviously he has a long way to go...like play in a game. I am looking forward to seeing him on Saturday, hope he plays.

Vereen is supposed to be a bigger and stronger Kevin Faulk. Obviously he has a long way to go...like play in a game. I am looking forward to seeing him on Saturday, hope he plays.

Same here, can't wait to see what this kid can do. Here's hoping they put him in there for maybe the second half. :D

I really like that as well. BJGE is not a pass catching RB and Woodhead really isn't much of a guy to run between the tackles. Ridley has surprised us by being much quicker/shiftier than first thought, he has the speed to bounce the ball outside and the ability to run between the tackles and make cuts without losing speed. Oh, and he obviously can catch the ball much better than anybody thought as well.

Vereen is freakishly strong. He had as many reps in the bench press (31) at the combine as many linemen.

It won't matter who is carrying the rock.

The offensive line will be devastating.

Imagine Solder at RG next to Volmer.

Vereen is freakishly strong. He had as many reps in the bench press (31) at the combine as many linemen.

This. Vereen might be considered a speedy home run type back but he has the ability to wear defenses down. I watched a good amount of Cal games living on the West Coast and the guy isn't the run threat/play maker Jahvid Best was at Cal, but he was a much better workhorse and much more complete runner. He wasn't someone who was easily tackled at all either.

It's more likely Marcus Cannon will become a starter at RG this year than Solder does.

As in Solder, the LT?

I think he will play, I noticed that Ridley hasn't practiced the last few days.

Where are all the idiots that put this kid on IR? God I hate this forum sometimes lol.

Who else is still on fans IR? :rolleyes:
San Angelo State.....;)

Although Vereen is 5'9, I view his body structure as more of a Warrick Dunn than a Woodhead or even Faulk. He has longer levers than those guys, which comes with its own advantages/disadvantages.

Then perhaps you should start watching the New England Patriots, cuz Danny Woodhead wasn't a liability. That is ridiculous.

Woodhead is excellent with the ball in his hands, I don’t think anyone is disputing that, but if you don't think Woodhead was a liability in pass protection than you don't know what you’re talking about. The coaches clearly felt this way last season as Woodhead was rarely left in to pass protect.

Kevin Faulk in his prime was a superb 3rd down back because not only was an excellent receiver, but he was also able to meet an unblocked blitzing linebacker and stand him up. That ability gives the play caller much more unpredictability on offense. If Faulk's primary assignment on a given play was pass protection he would leak out if no one is coming, Faulk has had countless receptions in his career where this was the case.

If you were watching the New England Patriots last year you would have noticed that on the majority of Woodhead's receptions he was running a designed route. Why do you think Crumpler played so much last year as basically the 6th Offensive lineman? It’s because our coaches didn’t really trust any of the backs enough to leave them on an island with Brady.

My major point is that Vereen has the potential to be an excellent receiver and blocker, which makes him more of an ideal candidate for 3rd down responsibilities than Woodhead.

He's a lot bigger than Woody. 5'10, 210 v 5'7, 195. He ran the ball effectively between the tackles in college.

He looks small-he runs low and is a compact guy-but he really isn't. 5-10, 210 is the same as guys like Terrell Davis (5'11, 210), Faulk (5'10, 210), and Curtis Martin (5'11, 210).

You guys need to understand that listed measurements are NOT always accurate. Do you know how often college players are "listed" at a certain height/weight and then go to the Combine for official measurements and are exposed as phony.

With that said, there is NO WAY Danny Woodhead is 195 lbs.

You guys need to understand that listed measurements are NOT always accurate. Do you know how often college players are "listed" at a certain height/weight and then go to the Combine for official measurements and are exposed as phony.

With that said, there is NO WAY Danny Woodhead is 195 lbs.

I realize the heights and weights are often off. The weights are particularly bad; players often get listed at the same weight their entire careers when in fact they frequently pork up.

I don't know what Woodhead's actual weight is. All the reports are that he was 197 or 200 at his pro day (he wasn't invited to the combine). He's a thick little dude so he could weight 195 but I can't be sure.

That said the Vereen measurement is from the combine. If M. Faulk/Davis/C. Martin were actually smaller than generally listed that just proves my point that Vereen has decent size.

If Ridley hasn't been practicing lately, expect to see Vereen on Satuday vs Detroit.....

Although Vereen is 5'9, I view his body structure as more of a Warrick Dunn than a Woodhead or even Faulk. He has longer levers than those guys, which comes with its own advantages/disadvantages.

That's a good comparison as far as physical attributes. I thought Dunn was one of the most underrated players in the NFL during his time. He was a beast. If Vereen has anywhere near the career Dunn had, then I'd be ecstatic.

I agree that this might end up being the biggest benefit- The second episode of Patscast this season was largely about this exact point, and I think Jay laid it our pretty compellingly, fwiw. Neither Ridley's nor Vereen's presence on the field inherently tips the defense off as to what you might do.

That's a good comparison as far as physical attributes. I thought Dunn was one of the most underrated players in the NFL during his time. He was a beast. If Vereen has anywhere near the career Dunn had, then I'd be ecstatic.

Quoted for truth.

Dunn is one of my all-time favorites. One of those physical advantages is that while Vereen's higher center of gravity might restrict his ability to accelerate as quickly as Woodhead/Faulk, he will definitely have a much faster top speed once he's in the clear. Plus his acceleration most likely isn't too far off from those 2 guys. He could be dangerous if he pans out.

But Of course, I'm mindful that track mechanics and football mechanics are different, once a player is in real-time action. :D

Last edited:
damn son, Vereen's hairline is all the way at the back of his head and he's only 22. Not that this is football related, lol.

I remain mystified and BAFFLED by the persistent popularity of labelling, by so many, of Shane "Mean Machine" Vereen as a 3rd Down Back!! :confused:

Best 3 Down Back in the entire Draft, ladies and gentlemen...

And Coach Bill snagged him and a 1ST ROUNDER for Mark Ingram!!! :eek:

Unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick