PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer/OSU players

RIP#40

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
It's my impression that BB values the opinions of college coaches he respects in regard to the drafting of players. Meyer certainly falls into that category. I don't follow college football all that closely, who are the NFL prospects on the Buckeyes? My particular interest is along the OL including TE. Thanks in advance for any help.

They've got nothing to help on the OL. They've got a TE who is a 3-4th round pick. I'm not sure why you wish we draft Urban players. The- Florida boys haven't worked out so hot.

Chad Jackson - 2nd round bust
Brandon Spikes - 2nd round. Meh player. OK. C+ or B- player.
Jermaine Cunningham - 2nd round bust
Jerome Mincey - Only a 6th rounder. We had to cut him.
AHern - Sitting in jail. Great player. Whom I'm not sure Urban was upfront about what he knew about the depth of his off-field issues.

That's a lot of picks for not so premium production.

Now that Meyer has a lot of talent this is a very interesting question. The reality is this is Meyer's third season at Ohio State and not a single one has been drafted (or signed as a UDFA IIRC). Aditionally I don't believe Meyer has been seen at TC in recent years like he sometimes was in the past.

I'm not suggesting that we will no longer draft Meyer players. Only that we haven't in a long (by NFL standards) time.

The rutgers pipeline has worked much better than urban meyer

I hope BB starts developing a pipeline with Todd Graham of ASU - lot of talk in the lead up to the SB of mutual respect. Graham has already talked about running ASU's offense in a similar way to the Pats.

I think BB gets information on players from a number of college coaches - not only about their players, but about players they've faced.

The Rutgers connection was useful to some extent because Greg Schiano was such a control freak and taskmaster. Players who thrived under him weren't likely to have difficulty buying into BB's approach.

Todd Graham is interesting because he tends to feature a fair amount of complexity on both sides of the ball, but especially on defense. Like BB's defenses, Graham's system is very demanding, and requires a lot of adjustments and communication. Guys who can make adjustments and deal with the complexity of this approach may have an easier transition to the Pats, and have shown that they are able to adjust and adapt. It's one of many reasons why I am so optimistic about Marcus Hardison.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back