PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unaddressed Needs

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OFFENSE (24) -

We're really ready to go. We could make tweaks, and we likely will. The hard choices seem to have been made.

I suspect that we will look for a veteran backup guard/center. Barker seems like PS material, and Svitek is still injured. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kline activated this week since I doubt that Barker is ready enough with our offense.

DEFENSE (25 + 1) - TWO SHORT
We need to add a veteran DL and a veteran CB. We could easily lose a ST/LBer. so the roster spots are there.

I'm all for developing kids, but, for me, Belichick has gone off the deep end with our DL backups. It is really OK to have experienced JAG backups like Scott and Cunningham.

Out - Cunningham, Scott, Brace, Deaderick
(also last year's developmental player: Francis)
In - Francis, Vellano, Buchanan, and Bequette (he was MIA last year)

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain!
Now, we cannot afford an injury to Wilfork, Kelly, Ninkovich or Jones.

SPECIAL TEAMS - OK

Some would like to have a kick returner instead of Devlin, or instead of Bolden.. We shall see. I like both options, but in any case I think that Belichick has settled on a total of 5 (RB/FB/KR). Hooman is our 3rd TE and need not be counted in this calculation.

Are Beuaharnais and White really special teamers than Koutovides, Rivera and Tarpinian?

We are fine with five position linebackers. We have 2 backups in Fletcher and Collins. And we still have last year's #1 LB backup: Ninkovich. That plenty of position linebackers. Fletcher is back as a real asset to the special teams.

Belichick will play with these positions all year. Personally, I think that Beauharnais or White will be waived next week.

I think Beauharnais is here to stay. The biggest issue with the DL backups is that they are young and unproven. It's an IBBWT thing, for sure.

Potentially a big problem of depth on DE. After Jones and Nink, our top backups of Cunningham and Francis are gone for the year. Even if you didn't think much of them, they were our primary depth at the position. We as fans have little faith in Bequette, and Buchanan is but a rookie.

Some have suggested Hightower stepping in. At 270 pounds, hopefully he's serviceable there.

I'm not as concerned about the DT depth as I am about the DE. Buchanan isn't ready and Bequette looks like a complete waste.

I'm really hoping they are planning on using some of the ILB versatility to patch over that weakness because otherwise I am at a loss.

OFFENSE (24) -

We're really ready to go. We could make tweaks, and we likely will. The hard choices seem to have been made.

I suspect that we will look for a veteran backup guard/center. Barker seems like PS material, and Svitek is still injured. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kline activated this week since I doubt that Barker is ready enough with our offense.

DEFENSE (25 + 1) - TWO SHORT
We need to add a veteran DL and a veteran CB. We could easily lose a ST/LBer. so the roster spots are there.

I'm all for developing kids, but, for me, Belichick has gone off the deep end with our DL backups. It is really OK to have experienced JAG backups like Scott and Cunningham.

Out - Cunningham, Scott, Brace, Deaderick
(also last year's developmental player: Francis)
In - Francis, Vellano, Buchanan, and Bequette (he was MIA last year)

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain!
Now, we cannot afford an injury to Wilfork, Kelly, Ninkovich or Jones.

SPECIAL TEAMS - OK

Some would like to have a kick returner instead of Devlin, or instead of Bolden.. We shall see. I like both options, but in any case I think that Belichick has settled on a total of 5 (RB/FB/KR). Hooman is our 3rd TE and need not be counted in this calculation.

Are Beuaharnais and White really special teamers than Koutovides, Rivera and Tarpinian?

We are fine with five position linebackers. We have 2 backups in Fletcher and Collins. And we still have last year's #1 LB backup: Ninkovich. That plenty of position linebackers. Fletcher is back as a real asset to the special teams.

Belichick will play with these positions all year. Personally, I think that Beauharnais or White will be waived next week.

Saying the needs are unaddressed is not completely accurate, the fact is Belichick has addressed the concerns; he has just done it with rookies which you aren’t comfortable with. I guess my question for you is who addresses these positions better in your mind than the players here now?

These are all of the free agents available: KFFL - 2013 NFL Free Agents

I REALLY wish we addressed the return game, especially the role of main kick returner. I was really excited about possibly signing Reggie Dunn when he came in for a look see, but obviously he didn't impress. He just happens to be one of the greatest return men in college football history.

Reggie Dunn (Both Cal Touchdowns) - YouTube

He ran a 4.22 at his Pro day. Still scratching my head as to why he hasn't been signed. Plays receiver as well, would make a nice deep threat too, though primarily a return man.

OFFENSE (24) -

I hope note. Kline looked awful in the preseason.

I'm not as concerned about the DT depth as I am about the DE. Buchanan isn't ready and Bequette looks like a complete waste.

I'm really hoping they are planning on using some of the ILB versatility to patch over that weakness because otherwise I am at a loss.

Both of the guys that you mentioned were excellent in the last preseason game. Admittedly it's anybody's guess as to whether that will translate to the regular season, but I'm particularly optimistic about Buchanan. If he can take Francis and Scott's snaps from last season, I could see him being an upgrade right away.

I was thinking somewhat about this today.
I am fine with the front seven and their most of their backups.

It is the CB position that is a concern for me. I feel if PATS had one
additional top CB this D would be top 5 this year.
I think you could make a case that there are at least 20 CB's better
than Talib. I just wish we had one. Maybe this off season will have
helped Talib move to a top tier CB. He has put the effort in.

Both of the guys that you mentioned were excellent in the last preseason game. Admittedly it's anybody's guess as to whether that will translate to the regular season, but I'm particularly optimistic about Buchanan. If he can take Francis and Scott's snaps from last season, I could see him being an upgrade right away.

I'll co-sign on this. Neither Francis nor Scott/Cunningham were all that great, so at worst we're left in a position where our depth isn't great. In other words: same as last year.

I was thinking somewhat about this today.
I am fine with the front seven and their most of their backups.

It is the CB position that is a concern for me. I feel if PATS had one
additional top CB this D would be top 5 this year.
I think you could make a case that there are at least 20 CB's better
than Talib. I just wish we had one. Maybe this off season will have
helped Talib move to a top tier CB. He has put the effort in.

The fact that you could make the case doesn't mean it'd be a very good one.

DB, DL, and TE could do with some help. Though there's not much available.

There are a couple of hundred defensive linemen listed, including those that are available (many of which are injured). I am not the evaluator of marginal talent. Belichick has a staff for that. As of now, what Belichick has asserted in that he'd rather play with 3 rookies that ALL 32 teams passed on and with his failed draft pick from last year, who couldn't make it onto the field.

This is a matter of a clear choice made by Belichick. Even now, we have plenty of room to add two defensive linemen, if he cannot part with any of his FOUR developmental projects. There are few out there who believe that none of the 200 signed by others or still available wouldn't add value to the prospects of the 2013 patriots. This leap takes much more koolaid that we are willing to drink.

Even if this works out, it doesn't mean that it was worth not having insurance in case of injury to the starters. We have lost many post season games because of lack of depth at RB, TE and in the secondary. And he are tempting fate again, with only 8 DL's, and only raw rookies as backups.

Belichick is a high roller. We'll see what happens next week. 8 DL's (one of which is our top backup LB) is simply insufficient.

Saying the needs are unaddressed is not completely accurate, the fact is Belichick has addressed the concerns; he has just done it with rookies which you aren’t comfortable with. I guess my question for you is who addresses these positions better in your mind than the players here now?

These are all of the free agents available: KFFL - 2013 NFL Free Agents

Against a Giant OL that had been struggling all preseason. :confused2:

I also wouldn't say Bequette played "excellent", it was more "surprisingly capable compared to how truly awful he had been the past three weeks." :)

Funny, I use your logic for feeling OK about the DT (How much worse than Deaderick and a half season of Forston can Vellano and Francis really be?) but the backups at DE were much better in last year's preseason than they were this year.

I also wouldn't say Bequette played "excellent", it was more "surprisingly capable compared to how truly awful he had been the past three weeks." :)

Funny, I use your logic for feeling OK about the DT (How much worse than Deaderick and a half season of Forston can Vellano and Francis really be?) but the backups at DE were much better in last year's preseason than they were this year.

Again: some of this undoubtedly had to do with the fact Bequette was playing out of position.

That said, he may still suck for all I know.

There are a couple of hundred defensive linemen listed, including those that are available (many of which are injured). I am not the evaluator of marginal talent. Belichick has a staff for that. As of now, what Belichick has asserted in that he'd rather play with 3 rookies that ALL 32 teams passed on and with his failed draft pick from last year, who couldn't make it onto the field.
Wait. you are calling a 3rd round pick who didnt play a lot as a rookie and appears likely to see a lot of action in year 2 a failed draft pick? What happened to the mgteich who has posted 10,000 times that BB doesn't like to play rookies?

This is a matter of a clear choice made by Belichick. Even now, we have plenty of room to add two defensive linemen, if he cannot part with any of his FOUR developmental projects.
I am quite sure he feels these are the best backup DL he had to choose from.
Once they actually play football, perhaps we can make our judgments toward that decision.

There are few out there who believe that none of the 200 signed by others or still available wouldn't add value to the prospects of the 2013 patriots. This leap takes much more koolaid that we are willing to drink.
The alternative to this passive aggressive approach is that you have uncovered the shocking fact that BB is just not interested in fielding the best team he can.

Even if this works out, it doesn't mean that it was worth not having insurance in case of injury to the starters.
There is a roster full of insurance. It just happens that the youngsters turned out to be better than the veterans.
You act as if we have a 30 man roster and are saying thats enough.

We have lost many post season games because of lack of depth at RB, TE and in the secondary. And he are tempting fate again, with only 8 DL's, and only raw rookies as backups.
Every team in the NFL struggles to have quality depth. You are making these comments as if it was sitting there and BB peed on it. He has the best depth he felt he could find.

Belichick is a high roller. We'll see what happens next week. 8 DL's (one of which is our top backup LB) is simply insufficient.

High roller? WTF?
Ninkovich is not the top backup LB. We have a 9th DL on the practice sqaud. I suspect we will see Hightower and/or Collins showing up as DE depth.

Your worst posts are the ones where you make assumptions then post as if they already happened.

I expect we will see Bequette playing nickel-dime DT like Cunningham did last year, and Buchanan as a designated pass rushing sub. If they are not horrible in those roles we will be as good as last year.
Cunningham was not effective as a DE (although i like him at sub DT) and Scott stunk it up. The bar isn't too high, which isn't a reason to be comfortable by the way.

I'd rather have young questionable depth than experienced depth that has proven it sucks.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back