PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two slot WR offense – benefits of keeping Edelman and Amendola together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman runs a lot of different routes. He's not really strictly a slot guy. I liked what I saw from a healthy Amendola against the bills with both him and Edelman running the crossing routes. If both these guys stay healthy it'd be a fun offense to watch.

That recipe is how a GOAT ends up finishing his careers on a west coast team close to his hometown.

2 thoughts:

--if Brady is cut and ends up playing for a hometown west coast team, it will be due to the fact that his shoddy play would warrant such a move from Belichick (which is obviously doubtful)

--one would have to reasonably assume that Brady is either smart enough or close enough to Belichick to have some kind of read on what the plan is going to be moving forward, along with his relationship with both Welker/Belichick last year as well. I highly doubt that Tom Brady was 1/2 as surprised as many suggest when Wes Welker did not come back

If he is not a backup why was he the 3rd WR?

He started 6 of 12 games.
  • Week 1
  • Week 6
  • Week 8
  • Week 9
  • Week 11
  • Week 15
As I have noted multiple times he started the season as the #1 Y-WR, when he returned from injury he was given his starting job back until week 12 when his performance dropped him into a reserve role. He started week 15 when Dobson and Thompkins were both out.

Starts, in and of themselves, are almost irrelevant for WRs, TEs, and RBs. After all, Matt Slater started the Colts playoff game. Snap counts are far more important.

Especially in N.England. I'd also add to your thought by pointing out that we are obviously very gameplan specific week to week, meaning that we're going to "start" different personnel groupings for the first play depending on how Belichick sees fit.

I'm still not convinced that Amendola "was given his starting job back," in week 7 or 8 depending on the context in which it is used, although I could be wrong.

In order to know for sure, we'd have to look at the snap counts for Amendola vs Edelman for the last 8-9-10 games and make a comparison. I don't imagine that many of those snap counts would point to Edelman having lessened numbers than Amendola in too many instances, unless it were gameplan specific.

The problem with Amendola is that we can't count on him to play a full season.

I think we'd be better with Dobson and another good outside WR with Edelman and Gronk exploiting the inside of the field. We need an offense that can attack all areas of the field and keep defenses honest. We also need an upgrade on our 2nd TE.

Before last season, we could have never counted on Edelman on playing a full season......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News