PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two slot WR offense – benefits of keeping Edelman and Amendola together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Many feel that Edelman and Amendola do not make sense to have on the same team, and at first, I had the same belief. I have changed my view however; I actually think the two of them could give us an advantage that offensively. This season I believe there was a combination of issues with the two of them playing together (despite those issues they were still successful).

1. The offensive scheme did was not designed in the offseason to incorporate both of them. Our offensive scheme was adjusted on the fly and was largely built around 2-TEs.
2. The lack of a consistent deep threat to open up the field. Dobson was not on the field very often in the second half of the season.
3. Amendola’s injuries and understanding of the offense. I think that Amendola had a solid understanding of the offense from the slot position but when he suffered his groin injury it caused him to lose the lateral explosiveness to be effective in that position. That prompted them to move Amendola outside to the Y-WR and put him in a position that he did not have as strong an understanding of the offense.
4. The lack of Gronkowski; many of us undervalue Gronkowski because he has been off the field so often the last few years with injuries. Gronkowski is in the category of Calvin Johnson Jr. and Adrian Peterson, he is a rare talent that completely changes the trajectory of an offense. The importance of him however is even bigger for Edelman and Amendola because he commands the attention of the underneath defenders.

The advantages of keeping Edelman and Amendola together is the confusion that can be created with the two. With an entire offseason to implement them both into the offense McDaniels can create plays that throw defenses completely off. McDaniels can use more bunch formations, motion the two of them into stack formations, and disguise the inside outside receiver routes. The possibilities are actually very interesting when you take a moment to think about it.

Another benefit of keeping them both is the Josh Boyce factor, we do not know what the future is for this young man, but if we go out and sign an Emmanuel Sanders this offseason, we will likely stall it. Amendola’s contract is essentially a one year deal at this point, we can walk free and clear after 2014, so if Boyce develops we can move him into a starting (or lead role) in 2015 while maintaining Edelman in the slot.

Most importantly, this has worked on some degree before and we have younger players that are more effective now. In 2011, we used Deion Branch and Wes Welker both of whom were smaller and less athletic 30+ year old players and Brady threw for over 5,000 yards.

I say resign Edelman, retain Amendola, add a veteran X-WR for depth behind Dobson and draft a TE in the first 2 rounds, after that focus our attention on improving the offensive line and continuing to build a top 5 defense.

Thoughts?

The challenge, in a nutshell, is that when you're going for downfield separation, how high the receiver can catch the ball matters, much more than it does when he's going for lateral separation. (I.e., I'm saying that if you're going for "vertical" separation in the sense of downfield, then you want "vertical" excellence in the sense of distance from the ground.)

Edelman is better than Welker in that regard -- he has learned to reliably catch balls somewhat over his head, and he's also somewhat taller. So if you really believe that Edelman's and Amendola's strengths are both in lateral routes, you're making your offense somewhat predictable when you try to use them both.

What really happens, of course, is that Edelman is used on a full variety of routes. But then we're not really talking about "two slot WR".

Thoughts?

Wouldn't work against a team like Seattle or San Fran, as the little guys would get pounded at the line.

I hope they keep Edelman if the price is right. Love the guy. And yeah, there is room for him.

They need to be able to put together a two-tight end formation that pressures the defense on pass and run.

Thats a great great idea. All the great offenses had a name. Greatest show on turf. We would be on our way to becoming slow whites and the 7 dwarfs. Your going to have Blow an artery with that statement. Next yrs game against Broncos could be presented as Mannings empire vs brady and his collection of ewoks.

J/K dude,i figured fans would consider finding a way to make keeping them both a positive impact. But when you really think about it you really have to reach to think of that as positive. Problem is if we are going to win the SUPERBOWL. You have to be the BEST, that means BETTER than EVERY other of the 31 teams who want that LOMBARDI Trophy. And puling all the strings to put the best talent they can forward. If your racing your car and beefing up the engine to compete with 31 other people modding their car you cant just add couple parts to be respectable. If you are to win you have to be faster and BETTER than everybody else. You cant win a chessgame with just pawns when opponents have rooks nights bishops. We have to be the best.

Wouldn't work against a team like Seattle or San Fran, as the little guys would get pounded at the line.

I hope they keep Edelman if the price is right. Love the guy. And yeah, there is room for him.

They need to be able to put together a two-tight end formation that pressures the defense on pass and run.

i think where this board gets whacky is when they expect the offense that scores 30-35 ppg during the season to score 30-35 every game against every defense.
The reality is that you need a GREAT offense to be able to count on 20-24 against the best defenses without takeaways, field position, etc.
You need to have a defense that complements this and protect the football.

I'd rather they cut their losses with Amendola, resign Edelman, and see what Collie and Moe bring to the table.

I'd rather they cut their losses with Amendola, resign Edelman, and see what Collie and Moe bring to the table.

Collie should never play football again, lest he get another concussion and die. I don't understand why people think Moe is any good...he looks neither fast nor shifty in his college highlights. Like the injured Amendola we saw all year.

The problem with Amendola is that we can't count on him to play a full season.

I think we'd be better with Dobson and another good outside WR with Edelman and Gronk exploiting the inside of the field. We need an offense that can attack all areas of the field and keep defenses honest. We also need an upgrade on our 2nd TE.

I'm likely considered the biggest Amendola hater on this board; that said I can't really see an advantage to cutting him. The salary cap implications just don't make it worthwhile.

I look at it like this, 2014 is probably in theory Brady's best chance at a 4th ring. There is no position more important to Brady than the slot WR in terms of having a security blanket. Amendola worst case would make for the best backup slot WR in the NFL.

You'd rather eat 5 million dollars to be rid of a guy who had the same target % as Edelman and quite near the same reception and YPC %, al the while playing with a torn groin?

I can think of 1.2 million reasons next year and 3.8 million reasons the year after why cutting Amendola is a fool's game.

You'd rather eat 5 million dollars to be rid of a guy who had the same target % as Edelman and quite near the same reception and YPC %, al the while playing with a torn groin?

I can think of 1.2 million reasons next year and 3.8 million reasons the year after why cutting Amendola is a fool's game.

Honestly of all the positions on the team to over invest in it would probably be the slot WR. Even if Amendola is the highest paid backup WR in the NFL who cares, we have a 37 year old Brady who's number #1 target has been that position every year since 2009.

What I don't think is a good idea is letting the 36 year old QBs top target leave in 2013 and follow that up by letting the 37 year old QBs top target leave the following year. Especially when that QB is taking team friendly deals to allow for cap space to build a SB contender around him. That recipe is how a GOAT ends up finishing his careers on a west coast team close to his hometown.

If all those posts about Gronk undergoing the cyberization process are true, then BB could theoretically give the order for Edelman and Amendola to be sewn together, thereby creating only one player to pay........ Julianny Edelmendola :rolleyes:.

Artist's depiction of this new player.

tumblr_ltvo3xs6Y81qihh07o4_1280.png

honestly of all the positions on the team to over invest in it would probably be the slot wr. Even if amendola is the highest paid backup wr in the nfl who cares, we have a 37 year old brady who's number #1 target has been that position every year since 2009.

he's. Not. A. Back-up.

He. Was. Playing. Hurt.

If the team is going to 'over-invest', how about considering the offensive line? The number of sacks the Patriots allowed in 2013 increased by 50% in comparison to 2012; that's not a good trend when you depend so heavily on your quarterback, and he will be 37 years old when training camp commences this year.

Perhaps upgrading the offensive line will benefit and pay dividends as much or more than allocating a large portion of cap space to the slot receiver position will.

he's. Not. A. Back-up.

He. Was. Playing. Hurt.

If he is not a backup why was he the 3rd WR?

He started 6 of 12 games.
  • Week 1
  • Week 6
  • Week 8
  • Week 9
  • Week 11
  • Week 15
As I have noted multiple times he started the season as the #1 Y-WR, when he returned from injury he was given his starting job back until week 12 when his performance dropped him into a reserve role. He started week 15 when Dobson and Thompkins were both out.

If the team is going to 'over-invest', how about considering the offensive line? The number of sacks the Patriots allowed in 2013 increased by 50% in comparison to 2012; that's not a good trend when you depend so heavily on your quarterback, and he will be 37 years old when training camp commences this year.

Perhaps upgrading the offensive line will benefit and pay dividends as much or more than allocating a large portion of cap space to the slot receiver position will.

I agree with you, the offensive line should be something we invest in, but we have two good bookends in Solder and Vollmer, Mankins is still a very good LG and I believe Cannon can be an outstanding RG. That leaves center as an area that we need to improve, I would absolutely love to sign Alex Mack, and I do not think doing so would prevent us from retaining Edelman.

How many sacks this season were coverage sacks? Taking the most productive, WR is not going to help the situation at all.

• September – 93 Cmp, 158 Att, 1014 Yds, 58.9 Cmp%, 6.42 Avg, 7 Td, 2 Int, 7 Sack, 87.4 Rat
• October – 78 Cmp, 149 Att, 810 Yds, 52.3 Cmp%, 5.44 Avg, 2 Td, 4 Int, 16 Sack, 61.6 Rat
• November – 86 Cmp, 123 Att, 1072 Yds, 69.9 Cmp%, 8.72 Avg, 8 Td, 1 Int, 8 Sack, 115 Rat
• December – 123 Cmp, 198 Att, 1447 Yds, 62.1 Cmp%, 7.31 Avg, 8 Td, 4 Int, 9 Sack, 89 Rat

Not surprisingly, the period that Gronkowski was playing, he was sacked the least and the most productive, but the emergence of Edelman in the second half was noticeable.

To me letting Welker walk in 2013 and Edelman walk in 2014 is really indicating that the team does not value the players that Brady trusts.

I'm a little stunned that you've spent almost the entirety of the season acting as Amendola's biggest detractor only to arrive at the point most people were using to argue against your reasoning as to why he should be cut Brady6. Perhaps there is hope for humanity after all. ;)

FWIW, if Amendola can retain health, he'll put up big numbers in New England. Health will be the key.

And by the way -- the Patriots declined the opportunity to have both Welker and Amendola.

What you seem to be saying is that Amendola is worth $3M plus game and workout bonuses.
Do you believe that this is the case?

What you seem to continue to ignore is that the $4.8M of amortized bonuses will hit the cap whether we cut Amendola this year, next year or the year after. The question is whether his worth the new money this year, next and the year after.

There is no cap advantage in paying $3.875M of cap money for Amendola's 2014 services.

Closer to the truth is that the team may think that Amendola is worth having on the team for that kind of money, whether or no Edelman is here.
=====

BOTTOM LINE
Since you so strongly want us to re-sign Edelman, I would think that you would be leading the charge to cut Amendola. We would then also add a mid-level vet like Sanders.

I'm likely considered the biggest Amendola hater on this board; that said I can't really see an advantage to cutting him. The salary cap implications just don't make it worthwhile.

I look at it like this, 2014 is probably in theory Brady's best chance at a 4th ring. There is no position more important to Brady than the slot WR in terms of having a security blanket. Amendola worst case would make for the best backup slot WR in the NFL.

If he is not a backup why was he the 3rd WR?

He started 6 of 12 games.
  • Week 1
  • Week 6
  • Week 8
  • Week 9
  • Week 11
  • Week 15
As I have noted multiple times he started the season as the #1 Y-WR, when he returned from injury he was given his starting job back until week 12 when his performance dropped him into a reserve role. He started week 15 when Dobson and Thompkins were both out.

Starts, in and of themselves, are almost irrelevant for WRs, TEs, and RBs. After all, Matt Slater started the Colts playoff game. Snap counts are far more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes