PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tua Tagovailoa injured today - considered serious

How so? I assume “monetize ability” is a euphemism for be able to receive endorsement money. (If not please explain because that might change my response)

Opening up poor 18 year old kids to legal bribery in choosing an education, with no rules or limitation would be a disaster. Imo.
How is that different from now? They're open to (sometimes illegal) inducement from unscrupulous schools, forced into an environment which requires so much time and effort in their sports that it detracts from academics, and often leaves them unqualified for the the real world if they don't make the pros. For many of those kids, college is a path to pro sports, not an education.

Im all for letting players make money from their likeness. Glad the NCAA is allowing that

How is that different from now? They're open to (sometimes illegal) inducement from unscrupulous schools, forced into an environment which requires so much time and effort in their sports that it detracts from academics, and often leaves them unqualified for the the real world if they don't make the pros. For many of those kids, college is a path to pro sports, not an education.

Not that I disagree with you. Just pointing out that most of them will never play pro sports

Last edited:
Because it’s now not allowed.
Your argument appears to amount to that when it’s not allowed abuses happen so allow it.
How does that make any sense? You are now endorsing the abuses and they will grow exponentially.

if I’m buying a 47 Miami jersey for Michael Irving I’m probably gonna go buy one that Isn’t an official with his name on the back.

I was looking for Montana ND jerseys recently. I was looking for ones with the name on the back that were customized. I wasn’t about to drop whatever it costs to buy a 2019 Notre dame jersey with just the number 3 on the back

div 1 college football is not a pro sport
In its own way it is. Look at all the money the schools and the coaches make. And some of it makes its way to the players (illegally). Meanwhile the kids are held hostage. Why is it that a college athlete loses eligibility if they transfer while an engineering student can easily transfer to another school that offers better stipends and opportunities based on ability?

Because it’s now not allowed.
Your argument appears to amount to that when it’s not allowed abuses happen so allow it.
How does that make any sense? You are now endorsing the abuses and they will grow exponentially.
I'm saying the arguments in favor of classic amateurism are no longer viable in the face of current reality. I'm also in favor of legalizing drugs and prostitution which, in my opinion will decrease crime.

It’s a valid argument that there could be a lot of bad to come out of having 18 year old kids thrown in a bidding war among boosters and supporters of the colleges they are considering.
It doesn’t take a leap of assumption to see it would be fraught with corruption, illicit incentive and ultimately some of the kids will be taken advantage of.
There has to be a plan, and limitations and enforcement.
Serious question here.

Was Andy this terrible? I mean he was bad but this bad?

Everything in your post is happening now.

Arguing paying players would tip the scales of balance is the dumbest **** imaginable.

There probably isn't a more lopsided sport out there. Definitely not as popular. Take 3 minutes to look up the Championship history & you might notice a trend.

That that I disagree with you. Just pointing out that most of them will never play pro sports
I agree. Most of them are not going to make it in the pros. But in many cases, the schools are leaving them totally unprepared for that eventuality. I mean, look at the literacy level of some of our pro athletes who went to college.

I agree. Most of them are not going to make it in the pros. But in many cases, the schools are leaving them totally unprepared for that eventuality. I mean, look at the literacy level of some of our pro athletes who went to college.

that’s not the colleges fault. That’s a failure on schools/parents

Serious question here.

Was Andy this terrible? I mean he was bad but this bad?

Everything in your post is happening now.

Arguing paying players would tip the scales of balance is the dumbest **** imaginable.

There probably isn't a more lopsided sport out there. Definitely not as popular. Take 3 minutes to look up the Championship history & you might notice a trend.
Can you have a discussion without insulting someone for disagreeing with you?

I actually said that it IS happening. It’s a problem. And that’s when there are rules against it.

I find it very hard to believe that any intelligent person could be disagreeing with my take that there need to be roles, limitations and penalties associated with opening this up.

I'm saying the arguments in favor of classic amateurism are no longer viable in the face of current reality. I'm also in favor of legalizing drugs and prostitution which, in my opinion will decrease crime.
I’m saying it needs to be policed and there need to be rules and limitations.

we will have to disagree on the rest, and this certainly isn’t the place to go into that

I’m saying it needs to be policed and there need to be rules and limitations.

we will have to disagree on the rest, and this certainly isn’t the place to go into that
I'm cool with that.

Huh? How can it not be the college's fault but a failure on the school?

because literacy problems aren’t a college problem. Children are exposed to literacy around the age of 5 give or take.

once a child falls behind in literacy, they generally don’t catch up

because literacy problems aren’t a college problem. Children are exposed to literacy around the age of 5 give or take.

once a child falls behind in literacy, they generally don’t catch up
Got it.

I don't know how anyone could argue that it's not stupid as **** that you have to go to college for three years to play in the NFL. Even if you're narrowly against paying college athletes, the fact that there's no alternative path like there is with basketball or hockey is dumb as hell. With all the handwringing about educations, you'd think people would have more respect for the academy than that.
This I agree with 100%. If the kid is good enough right out of high school (which will be pretty darn rare in football), or one year out, or two, he should be allowed to make the jump.

The only argument against that is players who are wrongly advised that they're good enough, declare, and then lose their amateur status when they go undrafted and unsigned.

This I agree with 100%. If the kid is good enough right out of high school (which will be pretty darn rare in football), or one year out, or two, he should be allowed to make the jump.

The only argument against that is players who are wrongly advised that they're good enough, declare, and then lose their amateur status when they go undrafted and unsigned.
I know there's a rule, but it makes no sense. Why should they lose eligibility if they declare for the draft and go undrafted. They would not have collected any money, so why lose the "amateur" status?

I know there's a rule, but it makes no sense. Why should they lose eligibility if they declare for the draft and go undrafted. They would not have collected any money, so why lose the "amateur" status?
I agree - that rule should also be changed.

Mike Tannenbaum predicts a Tua "draft and stash" by the Patriots

Tua Tagovailoa To Patriots? Former NFL Exec Believes It ‘Lines Up Well’
I feel awful that this happened to him on a weekend I told someone that they only way Pats get him is he he suffered a serious but recoverable injury. I here he is expected to make a full recovery. Praying that he comes thru. I don't think he is as good as his stats shows at Bama though. Bama has three WRs that may all be selected in the first round.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back