PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Edwards: Dead Man Walking? [re: Monday's game]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Tim Graham's article here states that Jauron is worried about his O-Line.

I thought we could play "predict the sacks" but maybe that's got bad Karma written all over it.

Jauron admits 'worry' over O-line with 56 starts - AFC East - ESPN

Excerpts:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills coach **** Jauron wasn't going to lie.

"There's a lot of worry," Jauron said.

He was speaking Wednesday afternoon about the fact three-fifths of his starting offensive line will have a combined zero NFL snaps among them when they meet the New England Patriots on "Monday Night Football."

The Patriots' starting O-line has a combined 372 NFL starts. All but right tackle Nick Kaczur has more individual starts than the Bills' entire line. Kaczur has 49. The New York Jets' front five has 480 starts among them. The Miami Dolphins have 188.

Now I know an OLD GEEZER O-Line would be bad too, but I'm thinking they better hope they have some good safety valves. We may be getting sacks with 4 man pressure.

I'm also thinking we should be mindful not to over-rate our defense if they happen to destroy the Bills on Monday. That said, there's reason to cry if we lose.

I guess we won't have any posts *****ing about our pass rush after Bills game...:D

Tim Graham's article here states that Jauron is worried about his O-Line.

I thought we could play "predict the sacks" but maybe that's got bad Karma written all over it.

Jauron admits 'worry' over O-line with 56 starts - AFC East - ESPN

Excerpts:

Now I know an OLD GEEZER O-Line would be bad too, but I'm thinking they better hope they have some good safety valves. We may be getting sacks with 4 man pressure.

I'm also thinking we should be mindful not to over-rate our defense if they happen to destroy the Bills on Monday. That said, there's reason to cry if we lose.

I was glad that the last week everyone has been jumping off the Pats' bandwagon and onto the Steelers. Maybe everyone has forgotten, but the Super Bowls usually come to those who are motivated by perceived disrespect. I have a feeling that come Tuesday every talk show in the country will be talking about the invincible Patriots. I certainly hope not. I expect Buffalo to finish 3-13 this year; they are a huge mess of a team with no leadership, offensive line, or defense. As you said, let's not get carried away if the Patriots take this one 44-6.

Can anyone smell a massively stunting 4-3, 3-4, 6-1, 1-6 0-7, 5-2 hybrid defense. Trent Edwards is probably shyting his pants right about now. I do admire his courage.

I can see it now. "Come on Trent, snap out of it buddy. We need ya" :singing:

392-edwards081005.jpg

I guess that $4M for TO probably could have been used for some decent blockers. Hey, it's not like he's already whined about their no-huddle offense before the season even started.

Too bad our #1 sack guy is entering the Black Hole and our #2 sack guy is eating BBQ in KC. Maybe everyone's preseason answer to the sack dilemma ...Crable...will someday play an NFL game. And our reacquisition of TBC...after getting cut by the mighty 49ers, can match his glory days in New England and get a couple sacks. At least we got an ex Raider that was awesome 4 years ago (but so was Moss).....
we are DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMed

Can anyone smell a massively stunting 4-3, 3-4, 6-1, 1-6 0-7, 5-2 hybrid defense. Trent Edwards is probably shyting his pants right about now. I do admire his courage.

I can see it now. "Come on Trent, snap out of it buddy. We need ya" :singing:

Yeah, I'm sure Edwards is shyting in his pants when he's facing a defense that allowed opposing QB's to eat a sandwich before they threw the football. Until the Pats prove their defense can get after the QB and actually cover somebody, they're not scaring anybody.

Last edited:
In 2008 the vaunted pass rush managed to NOT lay a finger on Phillip Rivers in 60 minutes............ooooooooooooooooh ....scary......we're dooooooooooooooooomed!

Yeah, I'm sure Edwards is shyting in his pants when he's facing a defense that allowed opposing QB's to eat a sandwich before they threw the football. Until the Pats prove their defense can get after the QB and actually cover somebody, they're not scaring anybody.

:singing:

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Last edited:
I got a feeling that **** is going to try to bust out some trick moves this monday, like the fins did with that wild cat crap. It wont work, but he may try.

I guess you didn't watch the 2008 season?

Every down........... It just doesn't have a lot of relevance to 2009 defense.

You do realize that they were middle to top-10 in most team defense including the ones that counts most (PPG allowed), where they were 7th. If the offense stays healthy and our D holds teams to 19.3 again (as they did last year), I think we'll be in okay shape. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If the Pats front 7 doesn't dominate against a Bills OL that, collectively, has 19 NFL starts then I'm not expecting much out of the Pats defense this season.

I guess you didn't watch the 2008 season?
Waahhh waahhh.You're acting like we had the worst pass rush in the league last year.

We recorded 31 sacks, tied for 14th in the NFL, and that's with Pierre Woods and a washed up Colvin starting half the season. Mike Vrabel played injured and only had 4 sacks. With Burgess and a four-man line, we'll be better this year.

If the Pats front 7 doesn't dominate against a Bills OL that, collectively, has 19 NFL starts then I'm not expecting much out of the Pats defense this season.

True, true! This game is going to be a great exhibition for what AD, Big Vince, Pryor, Brace, and Burgess can bring to the table. If the defense can get to the QB without having to bring in linebackers and safeties, then we have something on our hands. If not, then we'll have to wait till the team comes together.

Although the Bills have an untested OLine, I won't be upset if the Pats don't eat them alive, this is the 1st game of the year, in a new system, with some new players, including Sey being gone...
I'm figuring that it may take awhile for them to jell....hopefully I'm wrong and they come out flying all around Edwards like a dam Buzzsaw!!

As you said, let's not get carried away if the Patriots take this one 44-6.

I think this sums it up well. We'll probably give them a throughout beating, but at the same time a good idea not to really read anything into it.

I don't think we'll be throwing a lot of formations at them- that isn't necessary, we're not dealing with a savvy wise OL, we're dealing with a rookie OL, so I think we'll see just a base D with disguised fronts that change at the snap.

How is the Patriots' secondary these days? How is the filling in of the loss of 4 of the biggest leaders on defense going to go? That's almost as big of a question as how the Bills o-line is going to be. The Bills have some very good prospects on the o-line. We'll see what happens with that. The Bills have very good so-called skill players on offense, and Trent is known to dump the ball off quickly. The Patriots defense of 2009 haven't exactly proven themselves to be beasts. You aren't exactly the Steelers or Ravens D.

Ryan Fitzpatrick better be ready...they are going to need him at some point in that game.

1) Belichick hasn't replaced half the 2008 defense because they were so great.

2) In case you didn't notice, a key element of that defense was just traded. The draft pick will help, but not in 2009.

3) Please post the team's stats in defending on 3rd down.

4) Please post the team's redzone defensive stats.

I have confidence that the defense will be much better than last year by the time the playoffs come around (playoffs will come easy for us and the chargers). However, that is primarily because of all the changes to 2008 defense.

Every down........... It just doesn't have a lot of relevance to 2009 defense.

You do realize that they were middle to top-10 in most team defense including the ones that counts most (PPG allowed), where they were 7th. If the offense stays healthy and our D holds teams to 19.3 again (as they did last year), I think we'll be in okay shape. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes