PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Mankins NOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Iupati rate? Is he more of a LG or an RG?
How about Pouncey? Can he play a Guard position before sliding over to C in 2011?

Iupati, IMO, doesn't fit what the Pats look for nearly as well as Mankins, especially at LG. Mankins was on the light side (307), exceptionally quick and agile (4.45 shuttle, 7.54 cone), and considered the most technically sound lineman in the draft. Iupati is massive (331), powerful, less quick, and still raw with his technique. He's a terrific longterm RG/RT prospect for a different scheme.

Pouncey is my top rated interior lineman, but I think you lose a lot of his value if you don't play him at center. And once again, he doesn't have Mankins' quickness and agility.

And here's the kicker: both of them will be drafted higher than Mankins was at #32 overall.

Mankins will be at camp at will play in 2010.

Hes between a rock and a hard place with a lockout looming in 2011 and needs the money now to set aside and weather out the storm.

Let me get this straight- the Pats can get good O-line talent in the 4th round and later- even in the 6th and 7th, no problem.

The team we trade Mankins to will give us a top 20 pick for him.

Sure- makes sense. :bricks:

I think teams would low ball the Pats in terms of draft picks since they already know Mankins is disgruntled about money. BB drafted Mankins in the 1st round and he is in his prime.

So, BB is is going to accept less than a 1st? That doesnt sound like value to me and thats what Belichick has always been about.

Hardball is the only way to play this out. Mankins plays in 2010 or he sits out with the possibility of no NFL in 2011, and not earning another accrued season. When the NFL resumes its Ground Hog Day.

Mankins will play folks.

Why dont we have a thread lets trade Tom Brady??? 7 pages for this, wow, cant wait for the draft, the news is very slow..

Yeah,lets give away our pro bowl LG and HOPE that a draft pick in the middle rounds of the draft in his position pans outin years ahead.

Please put down the beer in each hand

Here I was thinking it was a 2 can hard hat!

Put down the pipe...........don't trade him you pay him. Mankins is a probowl OG so why would you trade him to have another hole on your team? He's proven so you don't trade proven for unproven.

I'm not saying I am on board with the OP's plan here, but there is definitely some reasonable logic behind it. If the Pats are not too likely to pay big bucks for Mankins (a questionable premise, but well within the realm of possibility), then trading him now makes a lot of sense. If Light can play G, then you just put Vollmer at LT (where I think he'll end up anyway). And you don't have a "trading proven for unproven" situation, at least not for 2010.

And what could Mankins get the Pats in return? I don't know. What's an all pro LG, entering his prime, worth? A 2nd round pick? A 2011 1st round pick? I don't know. I'm sure it's something pretty substantial.

Mankins will be at camp at will play in 2010.

Hes between a rock and a hard place with a lockout looming in 2011 and needs the money now to set aside and weather out the storm.

he will play, but he can take his sweet time getting to camp.......if the status quo remains, don't expect to see him until late august since he doesn't get an extra dim for showing up earlier.......from his perspective, there's no need to risk injury

how many players do you know that start from the very first moment and never miss a game........since he's been a patriot, there have been 64 regular season games, and he has started every single one........

sometimes its good to put up money for guys like him

Last edited:
Yeah, let's go draft more skill players and leave them unprotected in the backfield. Great idea. Is there a "Dumbest Thread of the Year" award? If so, I nominate this thread.

Why dont we have a thread lets trade Tom Brady??? 7 pages for this, wow, cant wait for the draft, the news is very slow..

...don't even whisper that. This guy will start a thread on it.

Trade Mankins? I'd wager that Giselle would personally pay Logan his millions to stay on the team.

Yeah, let's go draft more skill players and leave them unprotected in the backfield. Great idea. Is there a "Dumbest Thread of the Year" award? If so, I nominate this thread.

I'll wager you look like an absolute fool by the time the Mankins situation is resolved. BB is not going to pay an interior offensive linemen big $$, and I firmly agree with him not doing it. I do recall when the Vikings signed Hutchinson, either Kraft or BB stated something along the lines of the Vikes were crazy for dedicating that much to an OG. The consistently good teams do not pony up huge coin to interior offensive linemen, the position is too easy to fill. Since BB has gotten to the Pats, we have had everything from undrafted people to a guy who didn't play college football playing the position. If we can get a 2nd rounder for Mankins, he will and should be traded.

Last edited:
PleaseMakeItStop.jpg

This summarizes my feelings on the matter.

ditto

I'll wager you look like an absolute fool by the time the Mankins situation is resolved. BB is not going to pay an interior offensive linemen big $$, and I firmly agree with him not doing it. I do recall when the Vikings signed Hutchinson, either Kraft or BB stated something along the lines of the Vikes were crazy for dedicating that much to an OG. The consistently good teams do not pony up huge coin to interior offensive linemen, the position is too easy to fill. Since BB has gotten to the Pats, we have had everything from undrafted people to a guy who didn't play college football playing the position. If we can get a 2nd rounder for Mankins, he will and should be traded.

So if the patriots are not going to pay market value for a guard, another team is going to throw in a high draft pick for this right? Not happening...

I look at the approach differently, although I understand from where you are coming.

Right now the team has two of the best guards in the NFL. Pro Football Focus rated Neal as, I want to say the number 2 Guard in the NFL. Mankins of course is a pro bowler. It now appears they have a long time stud LT on their hands in Vollmer.

The Pats have about 83 draft picks in this draft. I have to think they are going to bring in some OL talent in a couple of weeks (via the draft).

They are suddenly very close to having one of the best OLs in the league. They hit with Mankins and now Vollmer, and may very well bolster the unit significantly. I don't want to break this up. I'd rather pay guard franchise money, than a tackle or other position.

I'm looking at this as, if they hit again on a stud center/guard/tackle in the draft, this unit is going to be soooooooo good for years. I, for one, don't want to get rid of that. Don't see a need to do so.

-Explain to me the big drop off going to: Vollmer, Light, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur? It isn't that bad.

This line is not bad, assuming BOTH of the following things are true:

A) The rest of your team is without holes, so several areas can make up for a lack of consistent offense (which it isn't).

B) That entire line stays healthy (which it won't).

I've been following the Pats for a long time and I think I have a sense of what "consistently good teams" do.

As for the wager, if you're saying that Belichick will trade Mankins rather than pay him market rate or franchise him, given that he protects Tommy's blind side, you're on. $100 to my favorite charity vs. $100 to your favorite charity. And BTW, why would someone give us a high pick for him with an unresolved contract; he's not Richard Seymour. I'm gonna bookmark this thread and I will call you on it.

Last edited:
he will play, but he can take his sweet time getting to camp.......if the status quo remains, don't expect to see him until late august since he doesn't get an extra dim for showing up earlier.......from his perspective, there's no need to risk injury

how many players do you know that start from the very first moment and never miss a game........since he's been a patriot, there have been 64 regular season games, and he has started every single one........

sometimes its good to put up money for guys like him

Agreed

Mankins is not part of the problem with the OL.

A couple of things....This is said with the fact that I really like Mankins and would want him to stay.....

--As a general statement moving from OT to OG is a very easy move except when you face the 3-4 defense....In the 3-4 the OT is the guy with the 5 Technique on him so it is easier for him to know his blocking assignment....The OG has to determine if there is a blitz and where is it coming from and it takes more read and reacting.....I say this for the fact of people talking about Light moving inside to play LG....Do I think he could do it? Yes....Do I think it will set the pats back a little with a transition period and possibly getting Brady hurt? Yes So do I think it would be better to keep Mankins who knows the scheme, responsibilities and has the athleticism? Yes

--About trading mankins for picks......Would it be so bad for us to get a 1st rounder for him and come out of the 1st round with Mike Iupati and Pouncey? Or could we use the 1st round pick for Mankins on defense then draft Pouncey with our 1st and take Mike Johnson in the 2nd round? Possibly

I believe that there are other possibilities that could quite possibly help us 3-5years down the road instead of spending all the money on mankins but they are unknowns and with Brady, Moss, Welker(when healthy) all here now we need to worry about winning in the short term instead of selling out for the long term.....

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand