PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Mankins NOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But come on... no one'll give NE a top 20 pick for Mankins. This is going nowhere.
But we're supposed to pay him like he's worth that? The cap will be back eventually, so yes, salaries are still a concern.

J D Sal

Dont get me wrong, I aknowledge he is our best OL but this is his last year as a Patriot. No way to we franchise him next year, I cant see spending precious cap room on a Guard....sorry, I really cant. We are going to need skill positions in '11(Plural-like 3).

Just what kind of biologist are you ... a hemp biologist???

We should trade all our good players and replace them with 6th and 7th round picks.

Then we save money and we get higher picks the next year.

I don't think its a crazy suggestion if you can get at least a top 20 pick for him. Guards are fairly easy to find. We've won with guys like Andruzzi and Neal and Compton. Connolly was decent last year, they have some hope for Ohrnberger and Wendell. I have no objection to trying Light there either, but I'm not convinced he'd win the job. But if he did, you just let him play out the deal. You can sign a vet, there are decent ones who are or will be available, and as you noted the draft is deep and you could groom a guy you draft this year.

While I acknowledge Mankins is a good player, I simply do not place the value on the position he'll want. One downside of Mankins too...he is very and frustratingly penalty prone. He led the Patriots in penalties this year and its been that way for a few seasons. When not called for a penalty, yes, he is a good guard.

I don't see the original poster's proposal as outrageous. Like I said, I simply don't value the position that highly. He's good. Yep. We may or may not (decent possibility not) have his services beyond 2010.

Bottom line? I wouldn't be crying in my beer if I heard tomorrow they had traded him to the NFC for a top 20 pick.

J D Sal

When Neal goes down it becomes a race to the QB. Now you want to pull Mankins off the line as well?

What did Brady ever do to you that you want him dead?

PleaseMakeItStop.jpg

JD - Sorry but if your whole basis for not liking Mankins is because he got called for a half-dozen penalties, then there are some big issues in your evaluations of a player.

Hannah used to get called for penalties. Mankins is no different. Mankins isn't Hannah, but Mankins is the best guard they've had since Hannah.

As for your knocks on Andruzzi and Neal, what are you smoking? Andruzzi was a damn good guard for the Pats. Mankins is better than him, though.

Neal is good, but can't stay healthy, unfortunately. If he could, then you might have a point.

This whole idea that we've won with lesser players is valid only when you consider how well the others played. Light of 2010 is not the same player as Light of 2007. Neither are Koppen or Neal. All 3 need to be upgraded, but that takes time.

I think that the Pats need to offer Mankins in the 6-7 mil a year range if they want to keep him. And yes, they really do need to keep him.

It's not even a matter of being high on Mankins. .

For me it is.. While I believe it serves the Patriots best by retaining him, I'm not all gun ho about signing him to Hutchinson deal.

But getting back to the original question, I agree with your assesment and believe he is a player you build around.

Only way I see them moving Mankins
- if they drafted someone this year in the 1st or 2nd round with a high grade, I could see next year, Mankins getting move or moving on..

Last edited:
When Neal goes down it becomes a race to the QB. Now you want to pull Mankins off the line as well?

What did Brady ever do to you that you want him dead?

A little dramatic in my opinion. I firmly agree with trading Mankins if we can get at least a 2nd rounder for him. Sure Mankins is a Pro Bowler, but he is also going to want to be paid like one. I don't think it is prudent at all to lock up huge money for an interior offensive linemen. We won Superbowls with guys like Andruzzi and Compton at OG. I think with 4 picks in the 2nd and 1 in the 1st, we could find a quality player to groom for LG and pay him a lot less money. As the Pats currently are made up, they have no viable pass rusher and they are very thin at the offensive skill positions. I would much rather take the money that would have gone to Mankins and fill some other holes. I truly believe that OG is one of the easiest positions to fill on a football team, and I don't believe the Pats' success or failure next year hinges on Logan frickin' Mankins. However, if we do not add skill position guys and a couple of pass rushers, it could be a very long season.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, I aknowledge he is our best OL but this is his last year as a Patriot. No way to we franchise him next year, I cant see spending precious cap room on a Guard....sorry, I really cant. We are going to need skill positions in '11(Plural-like 3). Light, a team favorite, is capable of playing LG alot better than he can play RT(if you didnt see him on the right side go to the tape-its painful). Vollmer takes LT, Light takes a pay cut, and we max out value on Mankins by trading him on or before the draft. We drafted a G in the 4th that should be a suitable backup this year, and we can draft another in a very deep draft. Just like the Iggles did with McNabb, if you arent going to keep him long term deal him now when he has value....it doesnt hurt that the Lions have talked about needing a guard.....I smell something, smells like Suhy!

Ahhh no, let's keep the guy, long term.

Better to sign him up, for a very long time and have one less position to worry about for years to come.

This guy is mean, solid and smart.

Besides...How many OGs can we find out there that like to Wrestle Cows as a pasttime?

JD - Sorry but if your whole basis for not liking Mankins is because he got called for a half-dozen penalties, then there are some big issues in your evaluations of a player.

Hannah used to get called for penalties. Mankins is no different. Mankins isn't Hannah, but Mankins is the best guard they've had since Hannah.

As for your knocks on Andruzzi and Neal, what are you smoking? Andruzzi was a damn good guard for the Pats. Mankins is better than him, though.

Neal is good, but can't stay healthy, unfortunately. If he could, then you might have a point.

This whole idea that we've won with lesser players is valid only when you consider how well the others played. Light of 2010 is not the same player as Light of 2007. Neither are Koppen or Neal. All 3 need to be upgraded, but that takes time.

I think that the Pats need to offer Mankins in the 6-7 mil a year range if they want to keep him. And yes, they really do need to keep him.

It was actually 8 that were accepted, several more that were declined.

But I never said I didn't like the player. I merely said I'd trade him for a top 20 pick, which I would in a milisecond.

J D Sal

Good points. I agree.
DW Toys

Man, I can't believe after the beating Brady took last year that people want to get rid of a Pro-bowl guard. Pay the man....with Vollmer eventually taking over at LT with a rookie contract, we are getting away cheap... give some $ to the tough guard!

Great idea! While were at it let's trade Brady for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and use those picks to draft a WR, TE, and RB.

Well, I'm not exactly endorsing this suggestion, I think simply dismissing it is equally ridiculous. Lets assume we COULD trade him for a 2nd in the top half of the round, or a first next year. Lets see what it would bring

1. When Light came out of college, it was thought that he could be a decent LT, but would probably make a EXCEPTIONAL LG. Well Light has become a very good LT, exceeding many experts' expectations. That doesn't mean that he could excel at LG. It would eliminate the only slight hole in his game, the exceptional outside speed rusher...and play to his strength as a mauling run blocker.

2. Volmer IS the real deal. He might end up being an elite LT in this league. Yes a year at at RT wouldn't hurt, but seeing what he did in the colts game, and him having a full year of strength training in the off season, I can see him stepping in at LT and actually being a slight upgrade.

3. Nick Kazcur gets a bad rap. He's no all pro, but he isn't bad either. Right now he's a quality NFL RT, who grades out decently. He is what he is, and if this scenario came to pass, I wouldn't be upset to see him out there for a full season. BTW- BB wouldn't have extended him if he thought as bad as some fans do.

4. We all have forgotten Mark Lavoir. This is another guy that BB is very high on. On several occassions he has come in an played better than expected for us, and he's still on an upward learning curve. He looks to be in position of be a very serviceable swing T as back up.

5. Neal IS the key. To assume he'll get hurt is as ludicrous as it is to assume he won't. When healthy he is one of the best Gs in the league (I firmly believe that it was HIS injury in the first series of 2007 Superbowl, that was a key to the Pats defeat)

6. Another thought would be to use our #1 and sign a proven YOUNG RFA like the Saints DE, and still have 3 picks in the very deep 2nd round

BOTTOM LINE I see OT as being a real strength of the team. A possition of depth and quality. An OL of Volmer, Light, Koppen, Neal, and Kascur/LeVoir would be a very good one.

OK now what do you do with pick. There are a number of Gs in this draft getting buzz. In fact I've seen several mocks where multiple Gs are going in the top 20, which is unusual. Perhaps we are seeing a situation where in the new age offenses we seeing develop, Gs are becoming equal in importance to Ts.....just a supposition.

But I can see us using that pick to fill every supposed hole on the team. Imagine picking a quality DE, a quality OLB, one of the 3 top TEs, and WR before the 3rd round starts? Quite a haul, knowing that you STILL would have ANOTHER NINE picks. And it would be MORE than reasonable to assume that 3 of those 9 picks be good enough to make the squad and contribute (hopefully BB will trade a couple of those picks into next year.)

So while this scenario is VERY unlikely...it ISN'T ridiculous, It comes with the usual pluses and minuses that every deal like this engenders....and NOOOO I wouldn't trade him in the division. ;)

Plus with the money Bob saves, he can use to resign Brady or Moss, or buy a new white coller dress shirt.

Man, I can't believe after the beating Brady took last year that people want to get rid of a Pro-bowl guard. Pay the man....with Vollmer eventually taking over at LT with a rookie contract, we are getting away cheap... give some $ to the tough guard!

If you are even thinking about this post please see below

Last edited:
Unless there is a guaranteed Gene Upshaw in the draft,I would pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes