PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Torrey Smith's Second TD Catch: Obvious Push Off Goes Uncalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
NFL Network: Smith Catches Second TD

Sorry to link to the Ravens website. It's the only video I can find. It happens so fast, but in replay it's an obvious penalty. It's too bad the Patriots couldn't get more pressure on Flacco for that throw. Kyle Love appears to think he was held.

Torrey Smith had a remarkable night, considering the loss of his brother less than 24 hours earlier. He was destined to do this. What a great football player!

But with the ref right in front of the play, he should have seen the textbook case of pushing off to get separation from the defender when the ball was in the air. I felt McCourtey was unfairly victimized.

When is a pushoff--and they called one on Lloyd earlier in the game that was less flagrant--not a pushoff?

That was clearly offensive pass interference. But the refs only called plays in the Pats' favor on first downs when it did minimal damage for the Ravens.

I'm confused. A year or so ago the league instituted an automatic review of all TD's in the upstairs booth. Is this still in effect? If so, why wasn't the pushoff by Smith, which was impossible to ignore, overturned?

Part of it might have been the narrative of the extraordinary conditions of Smith playing in shock of his younger brother's tragic death.

But if the automatic review is still in effect, the seasoned guys in the booth really blew it. I would have like to have seen more replays of this second Smith TD reception, too. It was such a big part of the game and shown only once or twice.

NFL Approves Rule Change to Review All Scoring Plays With Instant Replay - NFL - NESN.com

I'm almost positive that you can't call penalties in a booth review.

The problem is that the calls are so inconsistent. There is no way to know what will be called when. Edelmen gets called on a push off when the DB is face guarding...yet Smith gets no call for that on Arrington? This whole deal is a mess.

The bad calls went both ways, but the Patriots didn't (or couldn't?) take advantage of it like the Ravens did. Seriously, Smith was essentially running the same route every time and either snagging the reception or pulling a PI.

I'm almost positive that you can't call penalties in a booth review.

kind of defeats the purpose of the automatic review unless everything is looked at.
ho hum.

The problem is that the calls are so inconsistent. There is no way to know what will be called when. Edelmen gets called on a push off when the DB is face guarding...yet Smith gets no call for that on Arrington? This whole deal is a mess.

There is no such thing as face-guarding. Williams was interferring with Edelman, plain and simple..

No, CLEARLY that TD was due to the incompetence of the defense. The Patriots defense should be SO good that even when this happens they still make the play.

The game last night is impossible to evaluate. Just too much BS, there is no way to evaluate the players.

I'm confused. A year or so ago the league instituted an automatic review of all TD's in the upstairs booth. Is this still in effect? If so, why wasn't the pushoff by Smith, which was impossible to ignore, overturned?

Part of it might have been the narrative of the extraordinary conditions of Smith playing in shock of his younger brother's tragic death.

But if the automatic review is still in effect, the seasoned guys in the booth really blew it. I would have like to have seen more replays of this second Smith TD reception, too. It was such a big part of the game and shown only once or twice.

NFL Approves Rule Change to Review All Scoring Plays With Instant Replay - NFL - NESN.com

Pass Interference is not a reviewable call. So even if the replay booth saw that it was clear offensive pass interference and no other way to overturn the TD, he couldn't call for a review. The refs cannot assess PI in a review or overturn PI in a review.

If the Edelman play was offensive PI, so was this. Then again, Lloyd got away with a two-hand push-off earlier in the game for a 15 yard gain. The refs sucked. we get it. Patriots still win if they get another first down or catch an easy interception.

That was the most bull crap call of the night. That's the kind of thing that happens when you tell a guy he can get away with anything, which was exactly the impression the refs gave all night.

The bad calls went both ways, but the Patriots didn't (or couldn't?) take advantage of it like the Ravens did. Seriously, Smith was essentially running the same route every time and either snagging the reception or pulling a PI.
The Ravens had better odds of taking advantage because they got like 15 calls in their favor-- and we got something like four.

I know it sucks to lose a family member and my heart goes out to the Smith family...BUT does anyone else think that he got away with a few pushoffs was because it fit the story line. They played this up all night. It almost looks like they were following a script.

I know it sucks to lose a family member and my heart goes out to the Smith family...BUT does anyone else think that he got away with a few pushoffs was because it fit the story line. They played this up all night. It almost looks like they were following a script.
Was thinking it, didn't want to say it.

Gotta give it to them Ravens. Especially Lewis and his neutralizing of Gronk.....by consistently tackling him downfield.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

we lost...get over it..we're 1-2..move on to buffalo. Game will be no picnic either with that D line and our o line...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore