PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

top 5 regular season losses you remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheresmosi

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Hi. This one is leaving me feeling really angry and crappy, though it everyone big wins out it essentially wil not matter. But it got me thinking as to which 5 regular season losses have stung the most during my time as a Pats fan. I'd be curious to hear others.

In order, I think I'd have to go like this:

1) the game we were on the verge of blowing out a horrible Miami team, had a run called back, and then they scored twice in the final 2 or 3 minutes and beat us. It was one of the games troy Brown had to play defensive back. I was stunned and completely empty. I believe we won a SB that year, however.

2) season finale loss in a strike season, in Denver--Doug Flutie brought the team that had been written off to the brink of the pay offs, they got up in Denver where they never won, and ended up losing I believe 21-10. They had a chance to cut it to 14-13 late third/early fourth, and the coach elected to go for it on 4th and goal from several yards out. We were stopped, and somehow I felt that was our last gasp. I don't recall the year but I want to say it was around 1982 or 83 (I could look it up).

3) last year's debacle in Miami on the final play

4) this one

5) the home game against Seattle a few years ago (I believe after we beat them in the SB), we got down to the 1, and Earl Thomas prevented Brady from scoring on his patented sneak, to close the game.

Honorable mentions: A tough hard fought game we lost to Carolina during a good year for them, when Gronk got held at the very end of the game in the endzone, when we were just a few yards away. It ended the game.

Many years ago we came roaring back from 31-10 in the fourth quarter to tie the Eagles, and then they drove the field with ease and beat us on a medium to chip shot FG at the very end. It might have even bee OT, I don't remember.

That Denver game in 2015 someone mentioned. Part of me believes that should be in the top 5.

I am probably forgetting some from the pre-Brady years, but those are the ones that stand out. But this oe really, really irks me because of the officiating incompetence involved.

Colts loss on the 4th and 2 play
KC loss in 2014 that launched the second dynasty run
Steelers loss in 2004
We lost a random game to Arizona in week 2 that knocked me out of my survivor pool
'o3 loss to Buffalo in week 1 after the Lawyer Milloy trade

Thanks OP, great uplifting thread ;)

Colts loss on the 4th and 2 play
KC loss in 2014 that launched the second dynasty run
Steelers loss in 2004
We lost a random game to Arizona in week 2 that knocked me out of my survivor pool
'o3 loss to Buffalo in week 1 after the Lawyer Milloy trade

Thanks OP, great uplifting thread ;)

Oh, I forgot the 4th and 2 play--that should be in there somewhere. On the other hand, I know BB is probably right--they almost certainly would have scored if we gave Indy back the ball. But sitll....

Getting walloped 31-0 to open the season against the Bills that one year hurt as well. We had failed to get back to hte play offs the previous year after winning the SB in 2001, and it made me wonder if we were destined to a return to the awful years of the 90s. But, we went on to beat the Panthers in the SB.

Another loss I remember is when we got totally jobbed on a kick, I believe in OT, against the Jets, in NE. They missed a 50 some yarder, but they called an extremely iffy penalty for launching on us, Jets got to re-kick and won.

4th and 2 and the home game vs Philadelphia and Sam Bradford in 2015... Was my son's first game with me... Got out to 14 pt lead vs a 4-7 club, and it fell apart very quickly, they scored 28 straight.... Also the Steven Jackson game at Miami that same season.... Home field on the line and bill and Josh thought it would be a good idea to feature Steven Jackson almost fresh off the street and Brandon bolden like 20 of the first 25 plays....

The overtime loss to Denver that cost us the number 1 seed after Chris Harper fumbled the punt. We were in control and then let Osweiler beat us.

the 2006 loss to the Jets in the Mangini game.

4th and two

That game in Baltimore with the replacement refs with the dodgy FG attempt

Too many losses in Miami to pick just one.

The loss to Denver in 2015 was the first thing that came to my mind. The game was over. 14 point lead. Got Denver off the field ... and then a muffed punt. Which was the deciding game between the Patriots playing at home against the Broncos in January, which ultimately led to Mannings 2nd ring ...

Last year to Miami didn't hurt as much but I went completely bonkers when that ****ty TD happened. Gronk falling overhimself and looking as athletic as Tom Brady made me realise he is done as the most dominant TE to ever play the game.

The 2015 loss to Denver is the game that sticks out most to me. The winner of the game would get home field advantage in the playoffs which we ended up losing in Denver. It was the most biased officiated game that I remember. The refs screwed us over many calls in the fourth quarter. I don't remember all the specific calls, but I remember Gronk kept getting penalized for pushing off while getting mauled by the defenders.

Here's the SI cover the following week showing clear offensive holding on the winning TD pass.IMG_0611.JPG

Last edited:
The 2015 loss in Denver was worse than this one. That team was a legit SB contender on both sides of the ball. Then injuries hit. And stupidity (Like throwing the game in Miami). Even if we won this game, it wouldn't change my mind. This isn't a SB team. Not with this offense.

There are too many. The ones that kill me are ones like this, the fumble would have been a td. The harry score was also a td

2015 @ Denver - MULTIPLE Missed holding penalties. Chris Harper fumbling and ruining our momentum mounting a broncos comeback. Painful to watch Cj Anderson run over us like that in OT.

2014 @ Packers - Hard fought game. Revis got torched by Jordy Nelson making it I believe 19-7 at the half. Almost came back, defense needed a stop hightower was in position to pick Rodgers off, but Rodgers saw him and made the throw for the first down away from him. Game over.

2013 @ Carolina - Refs completely ****ed us over picking up that penalty flag. Wouldve had homefield in the playoffs if we just won one more game that season.

2002 Vs Jets - loss the division tiebreaker and missed out on the playoffs. They kicked our asses at home.

2015 @ Jets - Getting beat by Ryan Fitzpatrick in OT and Slater accidentally deferring to not recieve the ****ing ball in OT. Lost out on homefield in the playoffs.

Honorable mentions too
2009 @ Indianapolis
2005 Vs Indianapolis
2010 @ Browns
01 Vs Denver
2012 Vs Arizona/49ers

Last edited:
There are lots in this era. In no order

4th and 2
31-0 Bills
The opener in 2017
The first Rams game in 2001
Wildcat game

Also worth mentioning:
Chargers blowout loss in 08.
Ravens game this year
Colts blowout loss in 05
Saints blowout loss in 09
Peyton Hillis game
Loss in Seattle in 2012- U mad bro?

Last edited:
1) Any
2) Game
3) With
4) Jerome
5) Boger

Did I miss any? :D

I have trouble remembering losses, but the 4th and 2 call at Indy still bugs me.

Speaking of losses, last year their 5 losses were all against teams that didn't make the playoffs. Those teams finished 36-43 (46%).
This year their 3 losses have all come against playoff teams with a combined record so far of 28-11 (72%).

Here I was just thinking 'What this wound really needs is some salt'

tenor.gif

I should have known patsfans would come through

2015 @ Denver - MULTIPLE Missed holding penalties. Chris Harper fumbling and ruining our momentum mounting a broncos comeback. Painful to watch Cj Anderson run over us like that in OT.

2014 @ Packers - Hard fought game. Revis got torched by Jordy Nelson making it I believe 19-7 at the half. Almost came back, defense needed a stop hightower was in position to pick Rodgers off, but Rodgers saw him and made the throw for the first down away from him. Game over.

2013 @ Carolina - Refs completely ****ed us over picking up that penalty flag. Wouldve had homefield in the playoffs if we just won one more game that season.

2002 Vs Jets - loss the division tiebreaker and missed out on the playoffs. They kicked our asses at home.

2015 @ Jets - Getting beat by Ryan Fitzpatrick in OT and Slater accidentally deferring to not recieve the ****ing ball in OT. Lost out on homefield in the playoffs.

Honorable mentions too
2009 @ Indianapolis
2005 Vs Indianapolis
2010 @ Browns
01 Vs Denver
2012 Vs Arizona/49ers

I was thinking about the OT loss to the Jets as well, when we gave them the ball first.

I don't remember any regular season wins or losses. That's for losers like the fans of the lesser 31.

These, however ...

57-3.png

I really don’t consider losses as memorable other than in the playoffs or super bowl

The only reason I remember the 2014 loss to the Chiefs is because of “We’re on to Cincinnati”

I remember victories.

I’ve seen many members posting a lot more “Nostalgic” posts this season....and I know why

Coming soon: rate your most painful breakups, job rejections, medical problems and financial difficulties!

INFJ-personality-depression-770x470.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft