PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

top 5 regular season losses you remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly the ones that had huge playoff implications.

2015 at denver- the worst one, typical mile high loss with phantom killer penalties and boneheaded turnovers. Cost us home field and im certain a sb appearance.

1997 vs Pittsburgh- had it wrapped up until bledsoe threw a horrible pick to kevin henry. Cost us the 2 seed, not as bad because i had a hard time seeing us beat denver anyway.

2002 vs jets - ultimately knocked us out the playoffs. We had the momentum till troy muffed a punt.

4th and 2 - i still side with bb 100% on that call. As much of a train wreck as that year was I sometimes wonder how itd have played out had we held on to this one and maybe another close one.

2001 week 1 at Cincinnati- kinda because this was towards the end of our time of not being winners. I still remember right after that game being on a message board and someone said this team always manages to do JUST enough to lose and i kind if sensed how we were so close but so far away from being a competitor. Then suddenly they started doing just enough to win, and the rest is history.

@ Miami Week 15 2004 - The Night Courage Won Orange. It ultimately didn't matter because we won the Super Bowl and we still would have lost home field advantage to Pittsburgh due to tiebreakers. The Pittsburgh loss sucked, but they ended up being 15-1 and our 18 game winning streak was going to have to end eventually. Miami, on the other hand, was one of the worst teams in the league at the time.

Indianapolis Week 9 2005 - The day Peyton finally beat us.

@ Denver Week 12 2015 - This started our collapse late that year and caused us to lose home field advantage, which in turn really bit us hard in the end.

@ Miami Week 15 2013 - Another road game that was a major catalyst in losing home field advantage.

@ Indianapolis Week 10 2009 - The 4th and 2 game.

The only redeeming part of that Miami loss in 04 was it introduced Wes Welker to us

Patriots v broncos, L 34-8
11/17/1996
The infamous Call the National Guard game

Patriots v 49ers, L 24-12
10/11/1992
Nothing about the game stood out except we couldnt get tickets for it. It was after this game that I seriously started thinking about getting season tickets. Got them for the '93 season. Section 12, Row 6. If anyone wants to know what happened to the ball from Bradys first ever touchdown pass, I have the answer.

Patriots v jets, L 10-3
9/23/2001
Bradys comes in for Bledsoe. My brother was all in on Brady after this game. I was a staunch Bledsoe defender. My brother was not wrong.

Patriots @ bills, L 31-0
9/7/2003
Was rafting the Gauley River that weekend. Was talking smack all weekend. Sunday, I ate a huge meal consisting of a large helping of crow.

Patriots @ Seahawks, L 24-23
10/14/2012
Loudmouth rips Brady. Oh how I hated him after that game. Goat gets revenge in XLIX.

1. 1997 Monday night loss against the Broncos. Pats are 4-0 and coming off the bye. I was in Arizona and the Cardinals hadn't been there long so most fans were Broncos fans. I really thought that was going to be a great game and that the Pats would win. Denver comes out and puts up 14 quick points and I'm taking crap from everybody. 14-13 at the half and you're thinking OK they weathered the storm. Second half the Broncos outscore them 20-0 and it felt like 40-0. I really feel that game was the end for Pete the Poodle.

2. 2004 Steelers Halloween. Everybody was getting hurt and you have Joey Porter having to eat his words later. What a nightmare that game was.

3. 1994 Detroit Lions. It was the game where Barry Sanders poster boarded Harlon Barnett for all time. Still in awe of that run.

4A+B Both against the Carolina Panthers in 2013 and 2017 where the refs totally screwed them. 2013 picking up the flag at the end of the game and letting the Panthers defense hold constantly. In 2017 there were 3 DPIs and mean while again Carolina is getting away with murder. Then they call a defensive hands to the face penalty where the DB's finger brushes the helmet. Instead of the Pats making the Panthers go 4 and out they go down and score to win.

5. 4th and 2.

The 2015 loss at Denver DID NOT COST THE PATRIOTS HOME FIELD. Both finished 12-4. The Patriots went into the last week at Miami w THREE LOSSES....Denver w FOUR LOSSES hosted SD. All the Pats had to do was beat a FIVE win team, that had lost THREE in a row and five out of six.
But Bill and Josh brazenly went into Miami with a Steven Jackson/Brandon Bolden-centric game plan and got dominated by a Miami defense ranked 20th or worse in pass, rush, ppg defense...
Terrible, terrible loss vs a team that had tee times for Monday at 8am...
The game plan that day in Miami was 10x more egregious than benching Malcolm Butler In The SB

Update?

(ducking)

Regards,
Chris

The 2015 loss at Denver DID NOT COST THE PATRIOTS HOME FIELD. Both finished 12-4. The Patriots went into the last week at Miami w THREE LOSSES....Denver w FOUR LOSSES hosted SD. All the Pats had to do was beat a FIVE win team, that had lost THREE in a row and five out of six.
But Bill and Josh brazenly went into Miami with a Steven Jackson/Brandon Bolden-centric game plan and got dominated by a Miami defense ranked 20th or worse in pass, rush, ppg defense...
Terrible, terrible loss vs a team that had tee times for Monday at 8am...
The game plan that day in Miami was 10x more egregious than benching Malcolm Butler In The SB

Yikes, a bad Miami team strikes again

2015 at home against philly. Up 14-0 at home against not a very good team and they give up 35 before scoring again. I can’t really provide a list of the top 5 but that’s the one that baffles me the most.

2010 against the browns was a weird one too actually. Just played like absolute ****.

I think it was 04 when we lost to Miami 29-28, I remember hearing that one on the radio with my dad. Nothing really sticks out to me from 2005 to 2009

That 2012 game with the scab refs and the very possibly missed game winner.

Baltimore is a house of horrors for us.

In no order:

The 1984 Thanksgiving game to the Cowboys. Pats came in on a roll at 8-4 and lost a game that I thought they would win. Crushed me.

The 1977 final against the Baltimore Colts. Could have finished 10-4 but ended up 9-5 and out of the playoffs.

The 1980 game against the Oilers. I thought they could avenge the loss from a few years earlier.

The Denver beatdown in 1996.

The loss to the Packers in 1997.

The 2003 opening day loss to the Bills.

The 2006 loss to Denver and to Indy.

The 2008 loss to Indy.

The 2009 loss to Indy.

The 2011 loss to the Giants.

The 2015 loss in Denver.

This years loss against Miami.

Oh good, another one to add to the list :mad:

Arizona 2012.

What a bizarre game.

Patriots @ Seahawks, L 24-23
10/14/2012
Loudmouth rips Brady. Oh how I hated him after that game. Goat gets revenge in XLIX.

This one one of my favorite losses too. Considering Sherman flat our lied, and got caught in it, this year about Mayfield snubbing him on a handshake, I don’t believe Sherman about Brady’s supposed antics. But yes, considering SB49 and the notorious “Sherman Face” this is my second favorite regular season loss. My first is the obnoxious 2004 Steelers arrogantly proclaiming that the Patriots basically suck after an admirable 21 game win streak...and showing off/talking smack during the game, after the game, and all the way up until the AFCCG massacre. That’s my favorite. Branch mocking the Heinz crowd was epic.

Both of these are great revenge games, but I just never hated Seattle, or Sherman, enough to make the revenge sweeter than the Steelers, aka the most unbearably ****y franchise in the league.

Can we talk about most forgettable regular season losses?

Remember when we lost to the Bengals in 2013? I cannot remember one thing that happened in that game.

This one one of my favorite losses too. Considering Sherman flat our lied, and got caught in it, this year about Mayfield snubbing him on a handshake, I don’t believe Sherman about Brady’s supposed antics. But yes, considering SB49 and the notorious “Sherman Face” this is my second favorite regular season loss. My first is the obnoxious 2004 Steelers arrogantly proclaiming that the Patriots basically suck after an admirable 21 game win streak...and showing off/talking smack during the game, after the game, and all the way up until the AFCCG massacre. That’s my favorite. Branch mocking the Heinz crowd was epic.

Both of these are great revenge games, but I just never hated Seattle, or Sherman, enough to make the revenge sweeter than the Steelers, aka the most unbearably ****y franchise in the league.
I remember that game ... the offense was a mess, with both Dillon and Branch out... they were pretty banged up at that point... then ty law broke his foot iirc ... basically the stealers won because the Pats bench was like a triage center... and then they bragged about it... typical stealers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes