PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Dungy's 18yo Son Found Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a tragedy. Again putting the games we know Tony by in perspective. I recall a lot of talk a year or so ago about how Dungy didn't plan to coach indefinitely because he wanted to spend time with his young family and was very involved in youth ministry. Losing a loved one, and particularly a child, around this holiday tends to be even more devastating than it would otherwise be. As others prepare to celebrate it's your time to mourn what you lost. Just heartbreaking.

Seemed like a great kid, you would always see him on the sidelines throwing the football around and chatting with the players. My prayers are with Dungy and his family.

This is sick. I can't even begin to imagine the pain he's going though. My sister lost her only child at 18 to a car accident. She's never gotten over it and never will.

It does put football into perspective.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
This is sick. I can't even begin to imagine the pain he's going though. My sister lost her only child at 18 to a car accident. She's never gotten over it and never will.

It does put football into prospective.

My sister lost one of her two sons at age 30 due to complications with Asthma. She will never get over that, like you said. Tony Dungy always came across to me as a very decent man and an excellent coach. I feel very bad for him and his family.

i will pray for james dungy, his father, and that family.
whatever the circumstannces of james' passing, they all need all our help.
each of us who has family intact is so very fortunate.
we can all try to help them.

For all the boisterous ... not always good-natured ... derision we cast at our powerful new arch-rival ... every Patriots fan will be saddened by this.

Sympathy extends to the community of Colts fans ... whose enjoyment of their fabulous season ... will long be clouded by this tragedy.

Each of us who is a father or mother suffers vicariously with Tony and Mrs. Dungy, as they undergo what all the rest of us fear worst of all - the death of our child.
God grant them, first, strength ... and then, peace.

That poor family -- if what's posted is true they've fallen into an abyss. My heart bleeds for them.

How incredibly tragic and sure puts things in perspective, eh? My heart goes out to Tony Dungy and his family. This must be devastating.

I have tears in my eyes. This is such a shock and very painful. My prayers for the Dungy family and the people who knew and loved James Dungy.

I intend to send a card of condolence to the Dungy family signed by a Football and Patriots Fan. Should anyone else care to offer the family support here is the Colts' address.

The Dungy Family
c/o Indianapolis Colts
7001 West 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46254

flutie2phelan said:
For all the boisterous ... not always good-natured ... derision we cast at our powerful new arch-rival ... every Patriots fan will be saddened by this.

Sympathy extends to the community of Colts fans ... whose enjoyment of their fabulous season ... will long be clouded by this tragedy.

Each of us who is a father or mother suffers vicariously with Tony and Mrs. Dungy, as they undergo what all the rest of us fear worst of all - the death of our child.
God grant them, first, strength ... and then, peace.

Well said, f2p. Far better said than I could come up with at this point.

Some guys at work here can't figure out why I'm so bummed about this news. I don't know why. Because as the father of 3 (soon to be 4), I can't imagine the feeling of pain and loss of a child, or is it because because of the rivalry thing and putting that aside for what's really important? I don't know. Seriously though, feels like I've been punched in the gut.

CTPatsFan said:
James Dungy, son of Tony Dungy, found dead

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's department is confirming the death of 18-year-old James Dungy. Dungy, the son of former Buccaneers coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in his North Tampa apartment by his girlfriend early this morning. A death investigation is going on now. At this time, it appears suicide is the cause of death.

The sheriff's office reports an emergency call came in at 1:30 a.m. from Dungy's apartment at Campus Lodge Apartments near USF. Paramedics responded, finding Dungy not breathing. They attempted CPR on Dungy, then transported him to UCH hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Stay tuned to WDAE and WDAE.com for the latest information.

"was found dead in his North Tampa apartment by his girlfriend early this morning" OH lord, I'm assuming she was not dead too, so then she must have woken up to his body ?? How horrible for her ! My goodness this story just gets sadder and sadder.

EDIT: just realized that this probably meant that she was simply the one that found him, not that she was literally next to him. Still it's sad that she went through that shock.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
I have tears in my eyes. This is such a shock and very painful. My prayers for the Dungy family and the people who knew and loved James Dungy.

I intend to send a card of condolence to the Dungy family signed by a Football and Patriots Fan. Should anyone else care to offer the family support here is the Colts' address.

The Dungy Family
c/o Indianapolis Colts
7001 West 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46254
That's a great idea, Box. I will do the same.

Words can not express the shock and sadness felt. Tony, your pain
is beyond comprehension for many of us. "Somehow, may you find
some comfort and support from your God and your friends and family
to help you though this time." is my prayer.

I can only imagine what the Dungys are going through. [It puts even the death of Bill Belichick's father in perspective, as bad as that was.]

And though I may despise the Colts, I wouldn't even dream of wishing this upon anyone. My prayers go out to the Dungys.

That is definitely tragic news and my condolences go out to the Dungy family as well.

I'm the father of two boys myself. I don't think I need to say more. If anyone here is also registered on any Colts sites, please express our heartfelt condolences to their fans from all of us here.

Box_O_Rocks said:

The Dungy Family
c/o Indianapolis Colts
7001 West 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46254

What a great idea. I'll be sending a card too.

I was talking to someone who said "Now Christmas has been forever marked for the Dungys as a tragic time." It really hit me hard, because it's true. I have a friend whose grandfather died in his chair while the family was at Christmas mass. They came home and found him. Christmas is now his least favorite holiday.

I just hope the Dungys faith is able to lead them through this difficult time. We'll all be praying for the family.

Last edited:
checkedout said:
I'm the father of two boys myself. I don't think I need to say more. If anyone here is also registered on any Colts sites, please express our heartfelt condolences to their fans from all of us here.

checked, I did over at indystar. What are some of the other sites?

Just a thought. If someone here has the tech skills, and it can be done, would it be a good idea to send this entire thread to the Colts board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots