PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom "Two Point" Tupa, a BB favourite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea how I got there, but started looking at the career of Tom Tupa, former Patriots punter from 1996 to 1998. What a strange, strange career though, and it made me wonder if BB was the reason for it.

As a kid, Tupa competed in the NFL's Punt, Pass and Kick contest, making it to the semi-finals 3 times, and winning once.

He was a QB in high school, went to Ohio State where he was the 3rd-string QB and 1st-string punter, finally got a chance to start at QB as a senior and was an All-American at punter the same year.

He gets drafted as a QB in the 3rd round by the Cardinals, even starts a few games for them, and punts a few times. He's out of football in 1993, having been cut by the Cleveland Browns before the season started. But the head coach, Bill Belichick, thinks enough of him to put him on the team in 1994 and 1995 as a full-time punter. He scores the first 2-point conversion, and does it a few more times to get a nickname of "Two Point Tupa."

After getting fired by Cleveland/Baltimore, BB comes to New England in 1996, the same year as...Tom Tupa. Tupa lasts longer than BB, who moves onto the Jets with Parcells in 1997. And in a few years, the Jets sign...Tom Tupa, who goes to his first Pro Bowl. He even fills in for a game at QB when Testaverde is hurt, throwing 2 TDs.

Considering how much BB values versatility, it seems like Tupa would be a BB guy. And considering he ended up where BB was over the prime of his career, it makes me think BB thought he was a good player, a valuable one.

Very strange career though. I knew none of it, just that he was the punter on the 1996 Super Bowl team. Maybe some of the older fans can chip in more on the guy.

I have no idea how I got there, but started looking at the career of Tom Tupa, former Patriots punter from 1996 to 1998. What a strange, strange career though, and it made me wonder if BB was the reason for it.

As a kid, Tupa competed in the NFL's Punt, Pass and Kick contest, making it to the semi-finals 3 times, and winning once.

He was a QB in high school, went to Ohio State where he was the 3rd-string QB and 1st-string punter, finally got a chance to start at QB as a senior and was an All-American at punter the same year.

He gets drafted as a QB in the 3rd round by the Cardinals, even starts a few games for them, and punts a few times. He's out of football in 1993, having been cut by the Cleveland Browns before the season started. But the head coach, Bill Belichick, thinks enough of him to put him on the team in 1994 and 1995 as a full-time punter. He scores the first 2-point conversion, and does it a few more times to get a nickname of "Two Point Tupa."

After getting fired by Cleveland/Baltimore, BB comes to New England in 1996, the same year as...Tom Tupa. Tupa lasts longer than BB, who moves onto the Jets with Parcells in 1997. And in a few years, the Jets sign...Tom Tupa, who goes to his first Pro Bowl. He even fills in for a game at QB when Testaverde is hurt, throwing 2 TDs.

Considering how much BB values versatility, it seems like Tupa would be a BB guy. And considering he ended up where BB was over the prime of his career, it makes me think BB thought he was a good player, a valuable one.

Very strange career though. I knew none of it, just that he was the punter on the 1996 Super Bowl team. Maybe some of the older fans can chip in more on the guy.

Older fans? How about the other punter who played a decent amount of quarterback for the Pats? BTW, big Tupa fan here. Steady, reliable guy for a trick or busted play

Versatility. It's Bill's fetish.

I remember Tupa the QB at Ohio State and for the Cardinals. Without the internet and tons of sports cable channels then to fill me in, I had no idea he was a punter first. I thought he switched to punting to extend his career. :)

Regards,
Chris

He's the real "Tom Terrific"

Interesting. I truly had no idea about his pre-Patriots career, other than he had been with the Browns.

In the cobwebs of my mind, remember Tupa.. but short on the details.

Remember him more as a punter than anything else..

I remember Tupa was working on qualifying for the Champions Tour a couple of years ago. I want to say he carries a zero handicap.

Older fans? How about the other punter who played a decent amount of quarterback for the Pats? BTW, big Tupa fan here. Steady, reliable guy for a trick or busted play

Yet another Tom terrific, Tom Yewcic!! QB / punter way back in Boston PAtriot days!!

Tupa played in 2 Super Bowls, (NE v GB) and got his ring with Tampa in 2002. He also was the QB in one of (for him) the most forgettable games I ever say on TV. Philly vs Phoenix in 1989 and they abused him in a 17-5 loss, 6 interceptions and 6 sacks when Philly's defensive line was Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Golic( Reggie White ??) I remember the game but didn't realize Tupa was the QB until I looked at the stats at profootballreference.. That was almost as famous as the body bag game vs Wash a year later.. Football was very different back then...

PS Brady's punted twice in his career and caught 2 passes............

That 4th-stringer we took in the 6th round? He probably won't amount to much...

Another weird Tupa note: he was drafted in the 3rd round, but he was also the first QB taken in that 1988 draft, 68th overall, and was drafted to be a QB exclusively at first.

He was drafted ahead of Chris Chandler (who led the Falcons to a fluky Super Bowl appearance), former Patriot Scott Secules, Stan Humphries (who took the Chargers to a Super Bowl appearance), and Danny McManus (CFL star).

That 4th-stringer we took in the 6th round? He probably won't amount to much...

Another weird Tupa note: he was drafted in the 3rd round, but he was also the first QB taken in that 1988 draft, 68th overall, and was drafted to be a QB exclusively at first.

He was drafted ahead of Chris Chandler (who led the Falcons to a fluky Super Bowl appearance), former Patriot Scott Secules, Stan Humphries (who took the Chargers to a Super Bowl appearance), and Danny McManus (CFL star).
I remember Humphries in that disaster of a Super Bowl. The Chargers were trailing 14-0 before 5 minutes had elapsed in the first quarter. And it was downhill from there.

Can anybody find a video of parcells saying 'tom tupa"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back