PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom House Discussing Mac Jones' Progress & Potential

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Tom House joined Phil Perry's podcast to discuss Mac Jones.

House and Jones worked together this offseason, and House speaks extremely highly of Jones. I seriously feel really good after listening to this.

(Timestamped the video for just prior to the 10-minute mark, which is when the meat of the discussion about Mac begins).

Cool let's see it on the field now

Haven't we begun to see it already? He looks physically fitter. His mechanics look sharper. Ball seems to be coming out of his hand with more zip.

The offense going through a transition period with some growing pains and Mac making one boneheaded decision shouldn't overshadow the physical/mechanical progress he's made, no?

You have someone as experienced and well respected as Tom House (who has worked with many an NFL QB) speaking glowingly of Jones based on what House himself saw in-person, working with Jones, speaking to the progress he's made and his long-term potential ... that carries some serious weight IMO.

They do need to continue the work in season because whatever they did in the offseason seems to have had the opposite intent. Since preseason, he has been missing short throws and it has carried into an actual game that matters.

Did he work with Tom House or Cam Newton?
Yep, no change in his game. Mechanics are bad and he’s urgency in his throws are still very slow.

Yep, no change in his game. Mechanics are bad and he’s urgency in his throws are still very slow.
I don't know about "No Change." He looks worse. I saw far more wobbling balls than I rembember law last year.

He seems far to comfortable 'floating' passes into tight areas.

There was a ball batted down on a short out that should have been a pick 6. He tried to loft it to the sideline over a corner. That doesn't sound like a high percentage throw to me.

Are Fat Matt and Judge trying to bring back the Flacco Offense?

Tom House or This Old House.

Norm throws a harder pass.

Tom House or This Old House.

Norm throws a harder pass.
Pretty good analysis Triumph, my lingering questions are around his upside. Looking back over the past 15 years maybe 2-3 times a team one without a top 10 QB:
- Baltimore with Flacco
- NY Giants with Eli (That hurts)
- Eagles with Foles (Also hurts)

So it is not impossible but difficult, looking across the league I personally don’t see him reaching the top 10 so kind of stuck in an awkward middle. It actually looks like he has lost arm strength, a lot of quacking on the deep outs.

Looked fine to me early on. He looked poor later but was apparently dealing with a back injury by that point.

Two snaps that illustrate Jones' issues - one is a good snap, one is a bad snap. It's not physical. It's mechanical. He gets sloppy with his feet and weight transfer, throws off his back foot ... seems to happen when his eyes drop towards underneath coverage / pass rush.

Need to keep working with House, yes, but the team also needs to hire a competent, legitimate, proven QB coach to instill good habits day after day, in a way that manifests in games. The good news is that this is not due to a lack of inherent physical ability ... it's purely mechanical/technique related, which means it can be fixed. Let's see if Mac can make the progress he needs to.

First two photos, underneath checkdown to Harris (one of his rare high quality short throws). Upright, balanced, head/eyes up. Throws a crisp, flat ball to Harris for a nice pickup. His weight is very well balanced - he generates velocity with extremely efficient weight transfer from his feet to his hips.

Third and fourth photos, tipped INT to Parker. For some reason Mac appears to drop his eyes, and squats, shifting his weight too far back, and he throws a decent but somewhat meh ball, partially off his back foot. His weight is poorly balanced - he attempts to generate velocity with a long stride and wind-up, as opposed to generating torque/velocity with his feet/core.

e0c8372142.png

121aff8fca.jpg

-

045ef9a08a.png

b45f4099c3.png

Last edited:
Here was the TD pass to Montgomery. Ugly throw. Balance and weight transfer not good at all. Bad mechanics, bad technique. Should only see this if rushing the ball out under pressure, or at an odd angle. This should've been an easy, walk-in TD. Instead it almost fell short and Montgomery had to make a pretty tough catch while falling to the ground in order to score.

My guess is Mac was rushing the ball out quickly because Montgomery was wfo. The thing is, he can still get that thing out, on time, on the man, while throwing with proper mechanics.

4d18e45167.png

I don't know about "No Change." He looks worse. I saw far more wobbling balls than I rembember law last year.

He seems far to comfortable 'floating' passes into tight areas.

There was a ball batted down on a short out that should have been a pick 6. He tried to loft it to the sideline over a corner. That doesn't sound like a high percentage throw to me.

Are Fat Matt and Judge trying to bring back the Flacco Offense?
The weird thing is i think he can put a bit of zip on the ball at times but often seems to choose to loft balls into areas when more zip is needed.

6:25 in the attached video is a good example of Mac throwing the type of pass people are wanting to see more of. Wasn't a rocket ball, but it was a crisp throw with a nose flat/down trajectory, into a tight window in traffic over the middle of the field. Ball travelled 13 yards in the air relative to the LOS, and 20 yards in the air from where Mac threw it.

"Progress"

"Process"

PooPoo.

Squealers be lickin' their chops 'n sh!t next week...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back