PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran

It wasn’t possible - the team was in a cap bind, period, and there wasn’t a ton they could’ve done to avoid it.

They could’ve committed Brady in, say, 2017-2018, which would’ve spread his cap hit over several more years, but regardless, they were going to be tight against the cap for this season, with or without him.

I think the error was not extending Brady earlier. Once we reached where things stood a year ago, the Bucs were clearly the better option.

It’s not that Brady didn’t want to be in New England; he did, but he didn’t have a long term contract and as he hit free agency, Tampa clearly had the superior roster.

Belichick may wish he had extended Brady earlier, but outside of that I don’t think there’s a lot that could’ve been done differently, and the thin roster / lack of cap space would still be a reality.
This. That was the error, not extending Brady in 2017-2018 and overestimating the effects age would have on his performance. It was a super tough call and everyone pretending that they knew Brady would still be this good at the 43 are full of BS. Yes it was a mistake but its understandable why they would have concern about paying a 43-44 yo QB 25- 30 million/year.. the amount of crap BB is getting is simply unfair.

Curran spent about 4 years telling people that not all was well behind the scenes between Brady and the organization and everyone here blew him off as fake news. Well turned out he was 100% right.

The last 4 years? 2016-2019? They won 2 Super Bowls during that stretch.

I’m sure there were bumps in the road, as there always are in any relationship. I’m sure both parties wish certain things had gone differently, and perhaps Belichick wishes he had given Brady a long-term contract earlier.

But these “discord in New England” posts are silly. They won 6 Super Bowls in 20 seasons, including 3 over the last 5-6 years. Brady has said Belichick is the best coach he’s ever played for and Belichick (after Brady informed him he was leaving) referred to Brady as the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.

I mean, c’mon . . .

He writes the truth, and truth hurts.

He writes about sports from his own perspective and based upon what information he has received. Surely some of it is true (impossible to know how much is true), but to say it’s all objective fact is silly.

And, going a step further, to say that all the grandiose embellishment in that article is true or reasonable, is also silly.

I’m sure there were bumps in the road, as there always are in any relationship. I’m sure both parties wish certain things had gone differently, and perhaps Belichick wishes he had given Brady a long-term contract earlier.

But these “discord in New England” posts are silly. They won 6 Super Bowls in 20 seasons, including 3 over the last 5-6 years. Brady has said Belichick is the best coach he’s ever played for and Belichick (after Brady informed him he was leaving) referred to Brady as the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.

I mean, c’mon . . .

Brady wanted an extension that would take him until the end of his career after the Atlanta super bowl. And Bill wouldn’t give it to him. That’s what started the breach that Curran reported on for the next 4 years.

I mean, c’mon . . .

this sort of rational, pragmatic thought doesn't sell

Actually I think it's a great article and Currens speaking a lot of truth here.

BB is a great coach but he also has had luxury of having the greatest quarterback ever to play. At this point Tom Brady has accomplished more as a solo act then belichick ever had.
If BB had his way Brady would have been traded years ago instead of Garoppolo.

Actually I think it's a great article and Currens speaking a lot of truth here.

BB is a great coach but he also has had luxury of having the greatest quarterback ever to play. At this point Tom Brady has accomplished more as a solo act then belichick ever had.

All successful coaches rely on an extremely good quarterback over an extended period of time.

And solo stats are irrelevant, because it’s a team game with 53 players on a given roster, and 11 players on the field at any given time.

Curran is great, probably my favourite Pats journalist. The thing about Curran is he’d been on top of the Brady contract situation with the Pats and had more inside info then anyone else on it. His stance hasn’t really changed at all and his feelings are shared by many others. Bill and Kraft botched the Brady situation, plain and simple. He should have retired a Patriot. I’d love to see what Kraft is saying behind closed doors right now.
Nothing Kraft says behind closed doors can be repeated or videotaped!

It has been said ad nauseum, but what the hell happened to Tom Curran?

Imagine, after 6 Super Bowls in 20 seasons, writing this:

Tom Curran is just saying what we're all thinking.

BB's ego fcked us.

Tom Curran is just saying what we're all thinking.

BB's ego fcked us.

This is precisely my point.

The subjective feelings/opinions of fans /=/ journalism.

All successful coaches rely on an extremely good quarterback over an extended period of time.

And solo stats are irrelevant, because it’s a team game with 53 players on a given roster, and 11 players on the field at any given time.

Solo act is an expression. Brady has accomplished more without BB than BB has accomplished without Brady.

BB has been trying to force Brady out of the team for years. He finally got his way and The Patriots had a pathetic season and the buccaneers are headed to the super bowl.

Imagine a world that where threads exist that this guy doesn’t like.
I like this thread. I like it because I agree with what Curran said. Bill Reinsdorph killed the dynasty before it needed to die.

You’re entitled to your opinion and I completely respect the fact that you want to say “Bill gave us 20 good years”. My opinion is that it could have been 22 or 23 good years. Bill’s drafts and personnel moves in the last few years caught up to him and it shaved a few years off the dynasty and it annoys me. You don’t have to agree with me but you seem to just want to write off anyone that disagrees with you as ungrateful.

Curran is great, probably my favourite Pats journalist. The thing about Curran is he’d been on top of the Brady contract situation with the Pats and had more inside info then anyone else on it. His stance hasn’t really changed at all and his feelings are shared by many others. Bill and Kraft botched the Brady situation, plain and simple. He should have retired a Patriot. I’d love to see what Kraft is saying behind closed doors right now.
I like curran to but he has become very shaugnessy like now. He has a relationship with don yee and maybe is angling for some TB interview IDK. But if they had signed brady to a 5 yr extension in 2018 or the 2 yr 50m dollar , he would be moping around with this current crew and wanting out of NE. Blame the draft or missed free agency hits for brady leaving. and if it was the relationship between bill abd brady , well then he wasnt staying here anyway. He wanted to leave after the eagles SB loss remember ? And then he said he will stay and stopped coming to OTA's etc.

Tom never said he would retire a patriot and not play for anyone else like brees did.. he even said montana played elsewhere so he has an open mind. His dad kept saying it will end badly.

Curran is just writing endlessly everyweek about the same thing. It takes two hands to clap. He doesnt seem to connect that sadly.

It wasn’t possible - the team was in a cap bind, period, and there wasn’t a ton they could’ve done to avoid it.

They could’ve committed Brady in, say, 2017-2018, which would’ve spread his cap hit over several more years, but regardless, they were going to be tight against the cap for this season, with or without him.

I think the error was not extending Brady earlier. Once we reached where things stood a year ago, the Bucs were clearly the better option.

It’s not that Brady didn’t want to be in New England; he did, but he didn’t have a long term contract and as he hit free agency, Tampa clearly had the superior roster.

Belichick may wish he had extended Brady earlier, but outside of that I don’t think there’s a lot that could’ve been done differently, and the thin roster / lack of cap space would still be a reality.
If they had extended earlier, he will have wanted out now just like he wanted out of the SB vs eagles seeing the current state of the offense. Existing contract wouldnt have meant much since kraft even told him he will let him go if he wants after the eagles SB.

When Curran re-listens to his podcasts, he requires a quiet space, a full length mirror, and a pack of smokes.

If they had extended earlier, he will have wanted out now just like he wanted out of the SB vs eagles seeing the current state of the offense. Existing contract wouldnt have meant much since kraft even told him he will let him go if he wants after the eagles SB.

Gotcha. Yeah, basically impossible for any of us to know how exactly it went down without actually being present to what happened.

I’ll be glad when Brady signs with the Patriots, retires, and we can put all of this behind us and the two GOATs can reminisce about the good days.

I’d guess Brady makes it to 47, which would be 2024-25. Belichick probably makes for another 8-10 seasons, so 2028-30. But, that’s just speculation. We shall see.

When Curran re-listens to his podcasts, he requires a quiet space, a full length mirror, and a pack of smokes.
Maybe the "E" stands for "Egotistical".

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back