PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady Retires (Update: Shouts out to Pats players, coaches on social media)

As someone who has been a big Brady supporter post-Pats, I also agree it was a dumb move on Brady's part not to mention the Pats (especially his former teammates and the fans). Someone on his team should've pushed him to take the high road, which he has consistently done since leaving the Pats up until this point. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't annoying to me. But at the same time, it's such a small thing that I'm not changing how I feel about him in any material way - I'm incredibly grateful to have to seen his career and will be an advocate for his legacy forever.

I also still think it's likely he will have some kind of acknowledgment for the Pats organization, Bill, his former teammates, and the fans in the days to come. This is ultimately just a small PR gaffe that nobody will remember in the long run.

I'm also annoyed with Bill not putting out a statement, and his case it's added to a longer history of petty behavior. As fans, we love both of these guys and naturally just want "Mom and Dad" to get along again so we can all bask in the (shared) glory without any negative feelings or feeling like we need to separate into camps post-divorce. It's ok - I am still confident it will get sorted out in the months and years to come.
Bill may have been busy with some other stuff

The 2019 Pats were significant worse on offense than nearly any team Brady had after Edelman got banged up and the AB fiasco. Gordon leaving was just icing. They were awful and trash. It has nothing to do with a decline. You can watch that season again and most people paying attention saw that Brady was throwing balls to receivers out of desperation because they were not getting open and unfortunately they couldn’t catch contented balls or were dropping passes when they occasionally were open. Unfortunately Brady couldn’t just not throw passes because the team around him wasn’t competent,

But Brady was making the throws. Pretty sure Jules led the league in drops that year and he was injured and still the best guy out there. That says a lot

Agreed, it does demonstrate that BB was trying to remain competitive for 1 more year. with Gordon, Ab and a healthy Edelman they were capable of being a highly competitive team. BB knew they would end up in cap hell and need a rebuild hence the unwillingness to go beyond 1 year. So Brady moving on was best for all parties.

Personally, I don't care that didn't thank the Pats or their fans in his retirement announcement. But if Brady wanted the focus locally and even nationally to be only on his legacy and not the fact that he slighted the Patriots and their fans, he only has himself to blame. Whether he did it maliciously or just an oversight because he felt he already thanked the Patriots two years ago, the second he ommitted the Pats and their fans it became the biggest story at least locally especially since we already had several days to discuss his retirement from the news stories on Saturday.

In a few days, this discussion will fade away. When his number is retired, when he gets his statue, when he gets his red jacket, etc., the focus will be on his 20 years with the Pats and not his Instagram post. Which is where it should be.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't care that didn't thank the Pats or their fans in his retirement announcement. But if Brady wanted the focus locally and even nationally to be only on his legacy and not the fact that he slighted the Patriots and their fans, he only has himself to blame. Whether he did it maliciously or just an oversight because he felt he already thanked the Patriots two years ago, the second he ommitted the Pats and his fans it became the biggest story at least locally especially since we already had several days to discuss his retirement from the news stories on Saturday.

In a few days, this discussion will fade away. When his number is retired, when he gets his statue, when he gets his red jacket, etc., the focus will be on his 20 years with the Pats and not his Instagram post. Which is where it should be.
giphy.gif

Agreed, it does demonstrate that BB was trying to remain competitive for 1 more year. with Gordon, Ab and a healthy Edelman they were capable of being a highly competitive team. BB knew they would end up in cap hell and need a rebuild hence the unwillingness to go beyond 1 year. So Brady moving on was best for all parties.

And traded a #2 for sanu because Brady wanted him. Then sanu ended up being trash.

Shannon Sharpe, who normally I can't stand, is probably pretty close to the truth here...

Personally, I don't care that didn't thank the Pats or their fans in his retirement announcement. But if Brady wanted the focus locally and even nationally to be only on his legacy and not the fact that he slighted the Patriots and their fans, he only has himself to blame. Whether he did it maliciously or just an oversight because he felt he already thanked the Patriots two years ago, the second he ommitted the Pats and his fans it became the biggest story at least locally especially since we already had several days to discuss his retirement from the news stories on Saturday.

Brady's career will be discussed like Jordan for the rest of time as every single QB will be forever compared to him. Go over to ChiefsPlanet and see how many threads mention Brady over and over.

Great article by Ian on Brady's retirement. What say you snowflakes?

Not sure why but this reminded me of this old trend of adding this darn song to everything. Can't believe people still do this.

Shannon Sharpe, who normally I can't stand, is probably pretty close to the truth here...

They are both correct. Tom wanted a relationship with Bill and wanted special treatment. Bill did not want a relationship with him or any player because he knew he would have to make tough decisions about those players down the road. I understand where both are coming from. And Shannon is correct that over time Tom will realize Bill made a business decision (right or wrong) and that it was nothing personal.

Last edited:

The homers will dismiss this clip as "TyPiCaL TaLkInG hEaDs", but Sharpe is 100% right here. And if anyone thinks RKK wasn't seriously pissed and offended by the complete omission of the Patriots from Brady's retirement post, you are willfully ignorant or just plain stupid.

Thank god I only had to read the last 3 pages of this 67 page (currently) thread. If those 3 pages are what the other 64 pages were all about I only have one thing to say to those posters, "Get a LIFE!".

If I were in charge the fact that Tom slighted the Pats and BB in his retirement post is worthy of about a 4 page thread. God. the slightest slight and everyone's ass gets red and we make a big deal about it. Most likely it was an oversight during a very emotional time for Tom. But even if it wasn't, so what. Does that minor slap undo 20 years of greatness? Do we ignore the glowing make up post the very next. day?

I always believed that Tom KNEW after the 2019 season a major overhaul was necessary both on the roster AND cap, and he didn't want to spend his last 2 or 3 years in the middle of rebuild. Add that to his wife's wishes to get to warmer climes and him retiring. So if he wanted to get the Wife's OK to play, he'd better get her someplace warm. It was a perfect storm. He was never coming back here for 2020. So I can't see why anyone would be made about Tom not staying OR that the Pats didn't move heaven and earth to keep him. There WAS no keeping him. It made no sense for either party.

So in that sense, I could relish Tom's time in TB just like I can fully celebrate his accomplishments and pleasure he gave me for 20 years upon the announcement of his retirement.

Further to this is the canard that Brady was "forced" to leave the Patriots. Yes, he was "low-balled" contractually and understandably felt that was unacceptable, but he also disliked the roster on his side of the ball -- that absolutely was a factor. He saw greener pastures elsewhere and asked for his release. While Tom's first choice apparently was to stay in New England on his terms, his exit was more a two-way street than some are willing to admit.

Youre rehashing it again and again and again for everyone to see.

I mean, does everyone agree, the San Diego Chargers experience for Brees is the same as Brady's New England experience?

Why? or why not?
Interesting point.

My take.

The Brees/Chargers relationship is like two young people divorcing after 2 years of marriage. No kids. Lived in an apartment and one spouse decided to start cheating because they weren't 100% satisfied with the other. They could have worked it out but the damage was done.

The Brady/Pats one is like a couple who were married for 35 years and had a great marriage until the end where both got restless. Tons of great times with some ups and downs at the end. Had a house they raised their children in who went to college and once they moved out and they realized in their early 60s they grew apart. They both realized they wanted something different out of life but they still care deeply about each other and always will.

One relationship is almost transient. You remember it but it's not really substantive.

The other IS your life and demands a significant amount of acknowledgment in some form.

Last edited:
Interesting point.

My take.

The Brees/Chargers relationship is a like two young people divorcing after 2 years of marriage. No kids. Lived in an apartment and one spouse decided to start cheating because they weren't 100% satisfied with the other. The could have worked it out but the damage was done.

The Brady/Pats one is like a couple who were married for 35 years and had a great marriage until the end where both got restless. Tons of great times with some ups and downs at the end. Had a house they raised their children in who went to college and once they moved out and they realized in their early 60s they grew apart. They both realized they wanted something different out of life but they still care deeply about each other and always will.

One relationship is almost transient. You remember it but it's not really substantive.

The other IS your life and demands a significant amount of acknowledgment in some form.
What is worse is how the Chargers treated Rivers upon his retirement.

Shannon said nothing this morning when I watched about his drunk BFF horseface who showed up late and basically burped all over Flores. I tuned in just to see what Shannon had to say about his donkey pal.

What is worse is how the Chargers treated Rivers upon his retirement.
Let's see, is there any other quarterback who was let go or traded and then went on to win a super bowl with another team? I remember one named Jim Plunkett. Did he mention the Pats when he retired?

Shannon said nothing this morning when I watched about his drunk BFF horseface who showed up late and basically burped all over Flores. I tuned in just to see what Shannon had to say about his donkey pal.
Speaking of Horseface have you seen Mahomes Baby mama?? Probably too much of her ehhh ahhhh!

Let's see, is there any other quarterback who was let go or traded and then went on to win a super bowl with another team? I remember one named Jim Plunkett. Did he mention the Pats when he retired?
You have P. Manning, Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Kurt Warner, Brees, Foles

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back