PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady.....Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Blake Bortles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you focus on points rather than yardage, the stats say that the four best all-around teams made it to the conference championships this year.

All 4 of the remaining teams ranked top-5 in scoring defense, and 3 of the 4 ranked top-5 in scoring offense as well. (Minnesota was 10th.)

As long as you focus on points rather than yardage, the stats say that the four best all-around teams made it to the conference championships this year.

All 4 of the remaining teams ranked top-5 in scoring defense, and 3 of the 4 ranked top-5 in scoring offense as well. (Minnesota was 10th.)
Four of the top five in point differential, too:

1. Patriots - 162
1. Eagles - 162
3. Jaguars - 149
(<--How the hell did those knucklehead Steelers overlook this???)
3. Rams - 149
5. Vikings - 130
And, for the obvious reason, nobody should forecast the Eagles to play as if they still had the league's 3rd-best offense (which, on Saturday, they didn't).

Last edited:
dt5SKWS.png

Let's see if the Jaguars are ready for big boys game.Lots of pressure come AFCCG.

Every team that played this weekend except the Titans had a top 10 defense in points.

5 of the 8 were top ten in yards. TN, NE, and NO are the teams that aren't.

The Saints were a fluke play away from winning. If that idiot safety had kept his head up and his eyes open...

I will see your QBs and raise you
Bill Belichick, Doug marone, Doug Peterson, mike zimmer.

The nice thing is that if the Patriots don't win, I won't begrudge any of these other teams a Super Bowl. It's all franchises without rings who are generally likable. It's been a while since the Broncos or Ravens or Steelers or Packers or Seahawks or whoever was threatening.

Philly is not likeable

You might list linebackers instead, or defensive linemen, or even offensive linemen. In all of these areas, it is the patriots that are at a disadvantage.

I haven't checked the odds, but we are probably about even money to win the SB at this point, probably 2-1 favorites in both games which calculates to 5-4 to take the Super Bowl.

It is easy for us to say that our offense is invincible against the best defenses (JAX, PHI and MINN). Perhaps we are. However, I suspect that we undervalue the defensive fronts of these teams, and their ability to disrupt.

Make no mistake, the patriots are favored and should be favored. But, let's not make believe that the game is all about the QB. Even yesterday, in the end, the NO defensive backs needed to tackle Diggs inbounds and the game was over (or disrupt the catch).

In the wild NFL where there are constant surprises and pre-season predictions are made a mockery I don't think you'll find anyone that said three of the four QBs to be playing in the Conference championship games would be Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Blake Bortles.

Defence wins Super Bowls but so does having a true difference maker at QB. The Patriots have that.

The Steelers have a true difference maker at QB.
The Saints have a true difference maker at QB.
The Falcons have a a true difference maker at WR and great talent in other areas too.
But those three teams lost this weekend. So much talent on those teams offence.

Yes, the Vikings, Eagles and Jacksonville all have excellent defences but they can be game planned for and Brady and the talent on the Patriots offence can score on all those defences.

After watching the Vikings tonight I've got to say Case Keenum really is a backup QB. His arm strength and decision making isn't good enough in the play-offs. He has a great story this season and he has worked hard but from a talent level Keenum just doesn't play in a way that the Patriots should fear. But congratulations tonight Case and that final play will be repeated for decades.

Bortles had a good game today against the Steelers but the Jaguars offence is about their running game. It will be a tough game in the trenches.

I haven't seen enough of Foles recently to make a judgement but the fact he was the back up until Wentz went down tells me he isn't a top tier QB.

I am more optimistic now about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl this season than I was before this weekend.

You might list linebackers instead, or defensive linemen, or even offensive linemen. In all of these areas, it is the patriots that are at a disadvantage.

I haven't checked the odds, but we are probably about even money to win the SB at this point, probably 2-1 favorites in both games which calculates to 5-4 to take the Super Bowl.

It is easy for us to say that our offense is invincible against the best defenses (JAX, PHI and MINN). Perhaps we are. However, I suspect that we undervalue the defensive fronts of these teams, and their ability to disrupt.

Make no mistake, the patriots are favored and should be favored. But, let's not make believe that the game is all about the QB. Even yesterday, in the end, the NO defensive backs needed to tackle Diggs inbounds and the game was over (or disrupt the catch).
The QB isn’t the only player on the field but (increasingly as the playoffs go on) he is by far the most important.
It is the most valuable advantage you can have.

OK. I tried to look at this from the perspective of the League Office.

Last Friday, which CCG's did they most want to see? Easy. Roethlisberger--Brady. Ryan--Brees.
Which SB did they most want to see? Almost any combination of those four, but I imagine the biggest ratings draw would have been Falcons--Patriots: the Rematch.

Now, they're probably in a full blown panic, with ratings already in the dust.

So, as much as it's going to hurt them to admit it, I'd be willing to bet that their wishlist would be:
NEP--MIN. Can the GOAT win his sixth on another team's home turf. Can MIN finally win its first SB after years of failure. Good story lines.
NEP--PHL. Just as long as the Pats are playing, there'll be a large audience hoping to see them lose.
JAX--MIN. At least they still have the "home field" and woebegone MIN story line.
JAX--PHL. Nightmare scenario. Blake Bortles vs. Nick Foles for the Lombardi! Justin Timberlake might pull out of the Halftime Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3