PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

To the Houston Texans:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit Romeo Crennel and the Texans D for a great, well-executed gameplan

Defense gets 2 INT, 2 sacks vs. Patriots

Brady and the Patriots triumphed by a 34-16 margin, but the future Pro Football Hall of Famer completed just 18 of his 38 pass attempts, and was also sacked twice.

"We understand that he loves to throw the short stuff, so we just added a little bit extra to the coverage, that's about it," linebacker Whitney Mercilus said of the Texans defensive strategy. "Make him hold the ball, and we got a couple sacks that way, but it just wasn't enough."

Brady, however, was able to complete five passes of 25 yards or more in the game. In the second quarter, he linked up with Julian Edelman for a 48-yard completion and Chris Hogan for a 45-yarder.

But for much of the night the Texans defense harassed Brady, and cornerback A.J. Bouye explained how.

"Just disguised," Bouye said. "Play tight coverage. It comes with film sudy. We've seen certain formations where we knew the routes were coming. Even if they weren't, we just played with our leverage and the rush was getting there. We were able to capitalize on some, but we weren't able to capitalize on all of them."

In addition to the pair of sacks, the Houston defense rang up eight hits on Brady.

"That was part of our gameplan: to get in there, try to affect him with the rush," head coach Bill O'Brien said. "I thought our guys did a great job of that."

Linebacker Brian Cushing tallied one of the sacks on Brady.

"That was one of our main goals, to get a lot of pressure on him," Cushing said. "Keep him kind of unbalanced and guessing and really not getting a good read on our defense. We did a pretty good job of that."

Yup, gonna see other guys try to do that again.

If TB ends up with the worst completion % in playoff history (from throwaways), but a BB (formerly Lombardi) trophy as a result. . . . Do you care?

Thought their D executed well but we scored 34 and left points out there.

Their owner is a douche, but the Franchise isn't one that has baggage or even a douchey fanbase.

With so man ex-Pats down there it's hard not to root for them. Bo'B is doing a decent job and once they find a QB, they'll be true contenders.

And Vince.......man I love you.

Vince was my favorite, he is such a class act man, I hope the Pats sign him for a day when he retires so he can be retired as a Patriot and eventually add him to the patriot hall of fame.

Lastly the Texans are one QB away from becoming a real threat. Makes me happy to see them own the Colts!

I just don't want Jimmy Garappolo to be a Texan.

Miller is decent and that's it. Without him they have no one at RB.
The OL is okay.
TE group is weak.

Yeah they need a decent QB. They should get in the mix for Jimmy.
Jimmy immediately makes them 5x better. With that D and coaching staff I'm not sure that's a good idea

Yup, gonna see other guys try to do that again.

If TB ends up with the worst completion % in playoff history (from throwaways), but a BB (formerly Lombardi) trophy as a result. . . . Do you care?
N-O-P-E-!

If I were them I would cut Osweiller unless I could trade him in a deal in which the Texans would pick up all but a couple million of the salary. Some team may take him as a $2M backup. If not I'd cut him. The guaranteed salary is a sunk cost, they're paying it either way. I'd prefer to waste $17 on a guy not on my team than waste $17M on a QB that is bringing my team down.

They were fired up. While the Vegas spread is not disrespect from the Pats, it is certainly disrespect generally and that is a great rallying cry. It showed.

As for other teams doing the same, some of these issues depend on abilities and match-ups. Love them or hate them, the Texans have been tough to get yards on and are a legitimate defense with or without Watt. The remaining teams in the race are more offensive threats. Andrews had issues and the line looked unprepared at times, so the bright side of a win like this is there were be plenty of lessons to learn, and the team will adjust to avoid repeating the mistakes in the future.

See you back home for the leadup to the Super Bowl...

If I were them I would cut Osweiller unless I could trade him in a deal in which the Texans would pick up all but a couple million of the salary. Some team may take him as a $2M backup. If not I'd cut him. The guaranteed salary is a sunk cost, they're paying it either way. I'd prefer to waste $17 on a guy not on my team than waste $17M on a QB that is bringing my team down.
The problem is I heard that most of his salary is guaranteed for the 1st two years of the deal he signed, so he is getting huge money next year. No one will want that. Either the Texans have to try to rehabilitate him for next year, he's going to have to take a huge pay cut in a trade, or they will have to cut him and take a massive hit financially. Only the 1st one seems likely to happen.

Impressive Houston defense - They held the Patriots to 6 first downs in the first half

Nothing for them to be ashamed about. They played hard, and gave us a bit of a scare. That defense is legit. If they find a QB, they will be a nightmare in the future.

Respect to them. They played hard.

PS: We love you Vince. Will miss watching you play if this is it for you.
Plus, some love to O'Brien and Romeo!

Seems like a logical candidate for the Jests...just sayin'...

The problem is I heard that most of his salary is guaranteed for the 1st two years of the deal he signed, so he is getting huge money next year. No one will want that. Either the Texans have to try to rehabilitate him for next year, he's going to have to take a huge pay cut in a trade, or they will have to cut him and take a massive hit financially. Only the 1st one seems likely to happen.
Right, I meant trade him with the Texans paying $15M or so of the guaranteed $17M, just to alleviate the sunk cost a little. If not cut him. Again, the $17M is sunk, they're paying it either way. Better to pay it to a guy not on the roster than to a QB who's hurting you.

Credit Romeo Crennel and the Texans D for a great, well-executed gameplan

Defense gets 2 INT, 2 sacks vs. Patriots

Brady and the Patriots triumphed by a 34-16 margin, but the future Pro Football Hall of Famer completed just 18 of his 38 pass attempts, and was also sacked twice.

"We understand that he loves to throw the short stuff, so we just added a little bit extra to the coverage, that's about it," linebacker Whitney Mercilus said of the Texans defensive strategy. "Make him hold the ball, and we got a couple sacks that way, but it just wasn't enough."

Brady, however, was able to complete five passes of 25 yards or more in the game. In the second quarter, he linked up with Julian Edelman for a 48-yard completion and Chris Hogan for a 45-yarder.

But for much of the night the Texans defense harassed Brady, and cornerback A.J. Bouye explained how.

"Just disguised," Bouye said. "Play tight coverage. It comes with film sudy. We've seen certain formations where we knew the routes were coming. Even if they weren't, we just played with our leverage and the rush was getting there. We were able to capitalize on some, but we weren't able to capitalize on all of them."

In addition to the pair of sacks, the Houston defense rang up eight hits on Brady.

"That was part of our gameplan: to get in there, try to affect him with the rush," head coach Bill O'Brien said. "I thought our guys did a great job of that."

Linebacker Brian Cushing tallied one of the sacks on Brady.

"That was one of our main goals, to get a lot of pressure on him," Cushing said. "Keep him kind of unbalanced and guessing and really not getting a good read on our defense. We did a pretty good job of that."
They talk as if they won. I guess it was a moral victory to only lose by 18.

Plus, some love to O'Brien and Romeo!
Yes, as long as they are there, I hope they keep the Colts from winning that division.

Wait....longer....I want the deflategate liars in Indy, and their addled owner, to never see another playoff game, ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft