PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titan defensive breakdown (vs KC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go, @mgcolby ! (What's funny is that I know so little about this stuff that you could be talking out your @ss and I'd have no idea, but still be equally entertained).

Breakfast this morning was excellent because of this, plus it helped me avoid a longer conversation with my wife about the quality of our diet. I bet you had no idea that you'd be contributing in so many ways.

I cannot for the life of me think of one good reason why you would want to consistently give a TE the caliber of Kelce a free release off the LoS. Actually somewhat surprised by the amount of Cover-1 Tennessee actually played in that game.

I cannot for the life of me think of one good reason why you would want to consistently give a TE the caliber of Kelce a free release off the LoS. Actually somewhat surprised by the amount of Cover-1 Tennessee actually played in that game.

Same thing that was going through my head on the majority of plays during the Gronk drive against the Steelers. When push comes to shove players and coaches that are not well prepared or can't handle stress just revert to whatever their instinct tells them to do. That's also why I dont think you can significantly change your identity from week to week unless being that flexible is a fundamental part of how your team is build.

They also covered Kelce with a LB, which is why he was torching the defense. If they try to cover Gronk with a LB, it is gonna be rough.

They also covered Kelce with a LB, which is why he was torching the defense. If they try to cover Gronk with a LB, it is gonna be rough.

Well, KC was preapred enough to design those matchups by motions and/or figuring out the responsibilities of various players on the Titans D based on formations. In other words they knew that if they could put Kelce at specific places or move him that the defense would check into something that created those matchups.

That is exactly part of the game of chess that is happening.

Well, KC was preapred enough to design those matchups by motions and/or figuring out the responsibilities of various players on the Titans D based on formations. In other words they knew that if they could put Kelce at specific places or move him that the defense would check into something that created those matchups.

That is exactly part of the game of chess that is happening.

Right, it was the **** Lebeau defense. The number of times a LB was covering Kelce was just terrible. They should realized what was happening and immediately addressed it. For example, against the Steelers we saw Trey Flowers cover Bell one time. Obviously, something was broken and it was immediately fiexd.

Right, it was the **** Lebeau defense. The number of times a LB was covering Kelce was just terrible. They should realized what was happening and immediately addressed it. For example, against the Steelers we saw Trey Flowers cover Bell one time. Obviously, something was broken and it was immediately fiexd.

True but often it is not as easy as it sounds to fix that without creating even bigger busts by just drawing up things on the sideline. If the Titans didn't prepare well enough to have some kind of emergency check to fall back into something very vanilla that at least keeps Kelce away from LBs then it was just a disaster in the making.

So the 2nd half. Tennessee opens up with 8:29 scoring drive. 2nd half TOP for Tennessee was 18:57. KC couldn't get stay on the field on offense and couldn't get off the field on defense. KC definitely missed Kelce, the back up TE Harris did not play well and struggled to get open. I broke down a few more plays.

Tennessee continued to play a lot of man.

play 1 2nd half:

Comes on the 2nd drive after they, maybe the continuation of the 1st drive however you want to look at it after KC recovered the ball on the muffed punt. 2 & 11 KC lines up 2x1 with the TE tight. Motion the slot across the formation, Tennessee shows zone, motion man motions back across the formation again back to the orginal side. He continues towards the sideline. Tennessee is in cover 3. The CB makes a good play, releases his initial guy inside to the Dropped LB, comes down on the receiver and tackles him for -2 yards.

Also notice in the 2nd pic TE is given a free release again.

Untitled 40.jpg Untitled 41.jpg Untitled 42.jpg Untitled 43.jpg

Last edited:
2nd play

3rd & 2 early 4th quarter. KC is 3x1, Tennessee is in Cover 3. Notice 84 gets a free release again, 82 gets open ball hits him right in the chest and he drops a sure 1st down. Also notice how open Hill is on the backside. Give Smith credit for a good throw, but he missed a chance for a big play. Nonetheless this sums up KC's 2nd half.

Untitled 51.jpg Untitled 52.jpg Untitled 53.jpg Untitled 54.jpg

I'm sure they learned something with Kelce burning them, in fact if he didn't get hurt we'd probably be playing KC, but I expect a tight first half and the pats will pull away in the second exploiting a lot of what mgcolby is highlighting. Good stuff btw.

3rd play

2nd & 9 last drive of the game for KC. Tennessee is in their familiar Man-1 single high safety, KC is 3x1. KC blitzes (5) send 59 on a wrap stunt. This is where Alex Smith could have hit a receiver who was wide open 5 yards down the field and probably picks up a 1st down. Instead his eyes drop to 59 who is coming untouched. Smith is sacked. Ultimately they pick up the first down, just pointing out some of the things that went wrong for KC.

Untitled 55.jpg Untitled 56.jpg Untitled 57.jpg Untitled 63.jpg

4th play.

Here the only play 84 made the entire game. Nice catch. KC goes spread 3x2, Tennessee plays cover 3 with the safety extremely deep. Tennessee drops 8 into coverage and rushes only 3.

Smith threads the needle a bit and 84 stretches out to make the play. They pick up 9 on 3rd & 4 on the last drive.

Untitled 64.jpg Untitled 65.jpg Untitled 66.jpg

5th play

2nd & 9 again on the last drive. Once again Tennessee is Man-1 SH safety. KC motions Hill into a 2x2 formation. This play is a bad one for Smith, just a terrible read, solid throw but again 84 (circled green) doesn't come through with the catch. However, Smith completely misses a wide open 82 (circled blue) streaking down the field. If he hits 82 he is definitely going to get inside the 30 and possibly to the 25. Setting up a very makeable FG to win the game.

Untitled 67.jpg Untitled 68.jpg Untitled 69.jpg

6th play

Is the following play from above. 3rd & 9. Tennessee goes straight Cover 2 rushing only 3 with and spies Smith with the Mike. Smith has no pressure but imagines it, decides to run and has 3 guys wide open, but instead has his eyes on the Mike who has a opening to attach and does after a long delay. But if you notice in the last picture 3 KC receivers are open and the Mike is 4 yards away from Smith who is now in full run mode.

Plays were there for KC to get into FG range on the last drive and take the lead/win it. But Alex Smith was rattled. I don't see Brady missing too many open receivers Saturday.

Untitled 71.jpg Untitled 72.jpg Untitled 73.jpg Untitled 74.jpg

Last edited:
My final take on the Titans defense...they are not very good. The Kelce injury and mostly poor play by Smith allowed the Titans to shut out KC in the 2nd half.

I truly expect Gronk to **** all over them and I think Tommy and the Boys hang 34+ on them Saturday night.

My final take on the Titans defense...they are not very good. The Kelce injury and mostly poor play by Smith allowed the Titans to shut out KC in the 2nd half.

I truly expect Gronk to **** all over them and I think Tommy and the Boys hang 34+ on them Saturday night.
Same here. I have the Patriots winning 38-7. The Tits don’t have the pieces on defense to stop the Patriots. New England will dominate T.O.P. in this one.

Same here. I have the Patriots winning 38-7. The Tits don’t have the pieces on defense to stop the Patriots. New England will dominate T.O.P. in this one.

The key to covering the spread will be 3rd down conversions on both sides of the ball. I think the only win condition the Titans have is to dominate TOP. I am talking 36-40+ minutes.

Meaning catching the offense in 3-4 quick 3&outs and on the flipside sustain those 7+min drives and finishing them with TDs. And that guarantees them a tight game and not even a win. That is a very, very tough situation to be in.

The key to covering the spread will be 3rd down conversions on both sides of the ball. I think the only win condition the Titans have is to dominate TOP. I am talking 36-40+ minutes.

Meaning catching the offense in 3-4 quick 3&outs and on the flipside sustain those 7+min drives and finishing them with TDs. And that guarantees them a tight game and not even a win. That is a very, very tough situation to be in.
Yeah, I just don't see how they have the horses to contain the Pats on offense. If they play the amount of man under against New England as they did against KC, there will be quite a few plays that can be made over the top. Whether it'll be Cooks or Hogan that make them is anyone's guess.

On play 2 where Byard falls for the PA hook, line & sinker... If that's Cooks or Hogan in the position Hill is in, with how the Pats option route would they run a slant & go there and be wide open for a TD if Brady puts the pass on them if there's time to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes