PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for Belichick to takover playcalling on defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think BB has to start taking over the play calling on defense. I've had enough with Pees. I am assuming he's the guy calling the shots on defense. We can't stop them on 3rd and 15? First, it was the long drive in the 06' AFC championship game. Second, it was the 80 yard drive in the super bowl. Now this. We keep getting burned by these tight ends. I wish we could get a guy like Steve Spagnuolo, whom I think is the best defensive coordinator in NFL, on board. But that guy is going to be a HC next year I think.

Last edited:
In case you have not figured this out, BB is not listening to sounds of the 70's on the headphones he wears.. BB is smart enough to get involved when needed, but for the most part believes in Pees.. as far as the 3 & 15 inability to stop, that looked as though Favre exploited the inexperience of Pierre Woods.. no amount of different play calling would have made that different, if the player did not make the play..

In case you have not figured this out, BB is not listening to sounds of the 70's on the headphones he wears.. BB is smart enough to get involved when needed, but for the most part believes in Pees.. as far as the 3 & 15 inability to stop, that looked as though Favre exploited the inexperience of Pierre Woods.. no amount of different play calling would have made that different, if the player did not make the play..

really? how'd we do when Romeo and Weis were calling the plays? since then, no rings. I think BB is the best coach in the game but our defensive coordinator sucks. you can't blame old age and injuries for our average defense the past few years.

Woods was on the other side of the line. Vrabel was right across from Keller and gave him a clean release to rush the QB. It seems like a blown coverage by either Vrabel who was supposed to drop back into zone, or a safety (Merriweather) who should have been in that zone. Whatever the case, the Jets seemed like they ran a variation of that play on every third down call and got Keller the ball.

Last edited:
I am not the biggest Dean Pees fan and have always wondered why he always gets a free pass while McDaniels get beaten up week after week even when the offense scores 31 points and gets 511 yards, but I am not for Belichick taking over the defense. I thought Pees did a great job with his adjustments, but I did not like the defensive execution on critical drives in the 4th and overtime. I just don't know if it all falls on Pees. I still blame execution over play calling in many cases.

Belichick already spends most of the offensive plays working with the starting defense already. I don't want him to take more time away from the entire game working on play calling.

Reguardless, there should of been a time out called on D, IMO. It's 3rd and 15 and we need to make sure we have the right people in and the right call. It's O.T.

'In case you have not figured this out, BB is not listening to sounds of the 70's on the headphones he wears'

No, but I am right now. I've got the Spencer Davis Group "I'm a man" blasting in my ears full boar right now..........a great 70's classic............

Not sure what is going on this year, but in prior years, I've seen this team scheme up some great, disguised CB and zone blitzes in the past and for some reason, we just sit back on those 3rd and longs and figure the percentages are with us to stop it with our secondary, but that is the furtherest thing from the truth. Truth is, we should have sent the kitchen sink on that play and other crucial 3rd and longs that we've had, but for some reason we haven't. What do we have to lose, we can't stop them in our zone prevent, why not. Send the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
really? how'd we do when Romeo and Weis were calling the plays? since then, no rings. I think BB is the best coach in the game but our defensive coordinator sucks. you can't blame old age and injuries for our average defense the past few years.

I don't know, maybe the difference is philosophical difference (rule changes favoring offense requiring an offensive emphasis), personnel changes, injuries, age, etc. Or maybe the fact that rings should not reasonably be expected every year as it takes a million things going right (luck and skill) to hoist a Lombardi at the end of the season.

With Belichick actually diagramming plays with defenders on the sideline, do you actually believe he tells his coordinators "Cook up a game plan for Sunday. I am really looking forward to watching what you come up with." The work week for coaches is anywhere from 90 - 110 hours per week. If Pees is calling anything on his own, it is because he is doing exactly what Belichick would do.

Woods was on the other side of the line. Vrabel was right across from Keller and gave him a clean release to rush the QB. It seems like a blown coverage by either Vrabel who was supposed to drop back into zone, or a safety (Merriweather) who should have been in that zone. Whatever the case, the Jets seemed like they ran a variation of that play on every third down call and got Keller the ball.

I would have 8 man in coverage on that play, no need to send Vrabs that's a bad call by Pees.

Last edited:
With Belichick actually diagramming plays with defenders on the sideline, do you actually believe he tells his coordinators "Cook up a game plan for Sunday. I am really looking forward to watching what you come up with." The work week for coaches is anywhere from 90 - 110 hours per week. If Pees is calling anything on his own, it is because he is doing exactly what Belichick would do.

I don't think that's the case, BB is going over the concepts of the D and what the other team is trying to do and how to counteract that. It's not offense so there is no going over specific plays.

Also in Holley's book BB doesn't seem to like having yes men. He like coordinators and coaches with their own ideas but he likes them to give their ideas with good facts to back them up. I have no doubt that BB is heavily involved in the game planning but more than likely the call was made by Pees.

I will make this point:

The last time BB was calling the defensive plays was the year he took over that duty from Mangini at the half of that Monday night Chiefs game. That year was the last time we didn't have a defensive meltdown in our final game of the season. (That was the year that ended with the screwy Broncos game which was chock full of fumbles and awful officiating)

I also think Pees is the problem. I know last night was more than just defensive problems (PR for a TD, that horrific third quarter on offense), but it was the final problem.

Hopefully this is our "D calls blow the game" game of the year. Luckily, it's not happening in the LAST game of the year.

I think the Pats need to be more aggresive with ILB blitzes.

next year we need a legit pass rushing OLB and this defense will be extremely good.

deltha is a stop gap. wheatley looked better when he played.

vrabel is not the same vrabel of 4-5 years. he is good at seting the edge and run but he doesn't get to the qb like before which is ironic since he had a career yr numbers wise last yr

I could be wrong, but I think BB has to start taking over the play calling on defense. I've had enough with Pees. I am assuming he's the guy calling the shots on defense. We can't stop them on 3rd and 15? First, it was the long drive in the 06' AFC championship game. Second, it was the 80 yard drive in the super bowl. Now this. We keep getting burned by these tight ends. I wish we could get a guy like Steve Spagnuolo, whom I think is the best defensive coordinator in NFL, on board. But that guy is going to be a HC next year I think.

Go Away
:mad:

I don't think that's the case, BB is going over the concepts of the D and what the other team is trying to do and how to counteract that. It's not offense so there is no going over specific plays.

Also in Holley's book BB doesn't seem to like having yes men. He like coordinators and coaches with their own ideas but he likes them to give their ideas with good facts to back them up. I have no doubt that BB is heavily involved in the game planning but more than likely the call was made by Pees.

That wasn't intended to mean diagramming in the offensive play sense. Defenses react, look for tendencies, and exploit weaknesses. You do not often see head coaches getting involved what he does.

And I was not saying the coordinators are yes men. You can bring in talented people with their own ideas and they will design a defensive game plan. What I am saying is that plan will be proposed to Belichick, analyzed in detail and critiqued before it ever sees the field. The people Belichick appoints as coordinator have demonstrated they can do the job as he believes it should be done and he trusts them in that regard. Will a coordinator make a mistake? Yes. Will Belichick allow them to lose a game through repeated mistakes? No way. I expect, as with any hierarchy, he will talk to coordinators, let them know what he sees, and discusses approaches to solving the problem. He then lets those coordinators talk to their respective coaches.

Last edited:
Coverage over pass rush was the best move, maybe get them the completion and tackle them quickly, on the other hand favre would've gone for the deep ball, but that Watson fumble was the difference and the Vrabel hold.

Belichick did instruct his defense on that 3rd and 15. Favre said after the game he could see the coach telling his players to get back and when he saw this he hit Keller underneath. Not sure what BB saw on that particular play or why he thought Brett was somehow going to go deep on that play.

Im not sure who blew the coverage but I have to give credit to Favre, he did a great job the entire game manipulating LB's and DB's with his eyes. The veteran smarts of AD and Rodney were missed the most yesterday IMO.

i dont know if im going to blame this on pees. we are destroyed on defense due to injury.

A lot of looks at the replay leads me to believe that Merriweather choked on the play.

A lot of looks at the replay leads me to believe that Merriweather choked on the play.
It would have been too close for comfort but if Meriweather had stuck the tackle then it would have been 4th down. And 1. But still 4th down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes