PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thuney signed his Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Will he be traded or extended? What do you think/hope we get for trading him? Where will he go?

Trade him to TB for their 1st. Can play LT and make Tommy happy.

I wonder if his quick signing means that the Pats are about to make a move. They just need to clear cap space by extending or trading Thuney before they make this move.

i say they extend him and that should clear some cap by spreading his hit out. I dont see them trading his as we are thin on the OLine

i say they extend him and that should clear some cap by spreading his hit out. I dont see them trading his as we are thin on the OLine

Not thin really. But it allows you to plus up other positions via FA or the draft cheaper. O line is very very important especially with a new QB.

Odd he signed this early, no? Can they still get a new deal done to lower his cap hit for this season?

I'd be equally okay with extending or trading him. That means he'll probably just play this year and walk.

Odd he signed this early, no? Can they still get a new deal done to lower his cap hit for this season?
Not odd unless you're going to hold out you sign quick to lock it in so it can't be rescinded. Then you start spending 14 mil.
By reports they are still trying to get a long term deal done.

I always anecdotally thought I noticed the more marginal players who got the tag were much more eager to sign it compared with the superstars. Probably because he knows his market value is below the tag number.

Tampa Gets:
Thuney
23rd pick

Pats Get:
14th pick
2nd

I hope we try to keep him. We need an OL for whoever the next QB is.

I don't remember anyone EVER signing their franchise tender this quickly. Not sure what it means. I know he can't be too unhappy about that much dough being guaranteed for one season. He's always been healthy.
Your move, BB.

Will he be traded or extended? What do you think/hope we get for trading him? Where will he go?

I was shocked as hell the tagged him in the first place but after thinking about it....

I believe Thuney signed the tender in good faith in that the team is in the financial ballpark for what he would expect on the market. If the sides were far apart I don't think they would have bothered to tag him and just recoup the 3rd rounder.

I also believe the team told him if they can't come up with a deal by X date, they will move him somewhere where he will get paid.

All in all I do believe there is open, healthy dialogue between Thuney and the NEP.

Is there an estimate of our cap situation next year? I would assume we will have a lot more money & would resign Thuney long term.

Is there an estimate of our cap situation next year? I would assume we will have a lot more money & would resign Thuney long term.
Overthecap.com has the team at about $97m in cap commitments currently, but there are a lot of things (roster bonuses, NLTBE incentives, future moves, etc) that will add to that before we get there. Still, I would think they are in position to have a lot of cap space next year. I'd guess between $60-90m?

On the other hand, they only have 28 players signed next year at this time.

Overthecap.com has the team at about $97m in cap commitments currently, but there are a lot of things (roster bonuses, NLTBE incentives, future moves, etc) that will add to that before we get there. Still, I would think they are in position to have a lot of cap space next year. I'd guess between $60-90m?

The cap will i crease greatly in 2021 and 2022, so that contracts signed next year can be easily spread out.

There were rumblings that the 2021 cap was estimated at $240m two weeks ago under the new CBA. 2020 came in lower than anticipated (likely due to benefit costs being higher in this low discount rate environment) so 2021 may wind up coming in lower, but still at $225m that still gives the Pats ~$100-125m in space once you account for those factors. That’s what happens when you don’t have a quality QB to pay for on your roster, plus other items.....

I don't remember anyone EVER signing their franchise tender this quickly. Not sure what it means. I know he can't be too unhappy about that much dough being guaranteed for one season. He's always been healthy.
Your move, BB.

Joe Thuney signed a 4 year, $3,213,428 contract with the Patriots on May 5, 2016. Thuney received a $193,357 signing bonus.
Joe Thuney Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

So basically he is going to make almost 5x on the franchise tender as he did in the previous 4 years.

Not a bad spot to be. And it isn't exactly like Guards are the biggest players on the market.

So he probably sees the options as this.

(1) Sign tag. Work out long-term deal that pays him $50M+ over 4 years or whatever. Get $10m+ signing bonus you can spend right away.
(2) Sign tag. Patriots trade him to team that pays him $50m+ over 4 years or whatever. Get $10m+ signing bonus you can spend right away.
(3) Sign tag. Play for $14m in 2020. Then get long term deal next year for $50m+ over 4 years or whatever next year.
(4) Don't sign tag. Patriots release him after most of the free agency money has dried up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft