PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Throwback: Patriots 2011 2TE Offense. 2Hrs of All-22 Tape

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Not entirely all-22 tape, but a 2-hour cutup of Gronk and Hernandez getting targets in 2011. This offense had Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Branch, OchoCinco.

In terms of the 2021 team, I'm really excited about Jonnu Smith. This guy is lightning quick, excellent in screen catches and elite run after the catch, a chess piece who can be moved all over the field and often in pre-snap motion, and he should be better than Hernandez. Henry is more a conventional tight end, he is not close to Gronk, he isn't that fast so should play next to the OLine pretty much at all times. Meyers and Bourne are both solid at getting open and catching the ball. Agholor just keep him outside for deep post and sideline routes.

Thought it would help to share since the elite 2TE offense was drafted and developed with Bill O'Brien, the current OC didn't use tight ends much from 05-08, had Gronk, then did absolutely zilch with tight ends in 2019 and in 2020.

Betz is the man. We follow each other. Very smart and absolutely killed analytics Twitter/PFF this year. He's a big OL/DL, run fit guy. Loves Hightower. Search Zach Thomas on Twitter lol, betz killed him as well. Very smart and entertaining.

Was... was this thread just a veiled excuse to take another shot at McDaniels...?

I didn't mention that name at all. Simply providing hours of tape since we just came off 2 straight seasons with no clue and no effort to include tight ends in the passing game at all. I'll try to dig up some tape on how the Boston TE Party running game looks like soon, as one can get pretty creative with all kinds of runs, screens, and excellent play action off 2 good TEs as well.

Not entirely all-22 tape, but a 2-hour cutup of Gronk and Hernandez getting targets in 2011. This offense had Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Branch, OchoCinco.

In terms of the 2021 team, I'm really excited about Jonnu Smith. This guy is lightning quick, excellent in screen catches and elite run after the catch, a chess piece who can be moved all over the field and often in pre-snap motion, and he should be better than Hernandez. Henry is more a conventional tight end, he is not close to Gronk, he isn't that fast so should play next to the OLine pretty much at all times. Meyers and Bourne are both solid at getting open and catching the ball. Agholor just keep him outside for deep post and sideline routes.

Thought it would help to share since the elite 2TE offense was drafted and developed with Bill O'Brien, the current OC didn't use tight ends much from 05-08, had Gronk, then did absolutely zilch with tight ends in 2019 and in 2020.

My memory of Hernandez was that he had a very keen sense for when and where the open spaces would be. He was like a giant version of Edelman in that regard. I'm looking forward to watching the video.

My memory of Hernandez was that he had a very keen sense for when and where the open spaces would be. He was like a giant version of Edelman in that regard. I'm looking forward to watching the video.

Jonnu Smith looks even faster to me. Jonnu Smith can be a major chess piece that we move all over the field and in presnap motion. His acceleration is off the charts. I don't think Henry will be anything beyond a conventional TE and that's fine too. Bourne and Jonnu seem to have great hands for red zone TDs and also 3rd down catches.

It takes a real keen evaluator of film to figure out that when we acquired two All World TEs we became a TE centered offense and when we didn’t have them we weren’t.

He really was a special player....even his rookie year being 20 and still making plays early in the season. What a damn shame.

Was... was this thread just a veiled excuse to take another shot at McDaniels...?
What makes Josh, or any coach or player, beyond criticism?

Hernandez was a BEAST! He was eclectic with the ball in his hands in the open field and was one of my favorite players. However, I had no idea he was a troubled human being and an eventual murderer. Truly a shame as he and Gronk could've taken over the NFL together.

Nothing. But clearly you've missed DropKickFlutie's last 10,000 posts, all of which (regardless of topic) bring up Josh McDaniels and how he is the worst at everything. It stopped being "criticism" and started being obsession a LONG time ago.

Yes. Some resort to ad hominem but the fact is we totally neglected the tight end position, were last in league TE receptions, both in 2020 and in 2019. The 2011 St Louis Rams and 2010 Denver Broncos were also last in tight end production, same guy (2011 Rams had the worst offense in the league that year). I think looking at tape of how to use 2 TEs in an offense could be helpful. In 2010 the Patriots offense under O'Brien led the league in rushing EPA/play so 2 TEs can also really help in the running game. Just a lot of options when you have 2 guys who can both run block or go out for a pass.

Those three years with Gronkowski and Hernandez the Patriots scored 500+ every year, finished 1st, 3rd and 1st in offense. And that's with Hernandez playing 38/48 and Gronkowski playing 43/48.

It takes a real keen evaluator of film to figure out that when we acquired two All World TEs we became a TE centered offense and when we didn’t have them we weren’t.
You analyst pig! ;)

Nothing. But clearly you've missed DropKickFlutie's last 10,000 posts, all of which (regardless of topic) bring up Josh McDaniels and how he is the worst at everything. It stopped being "criticism" and started being obsession a LONG time ago.
Yes, I didn't keep track of who's been doing the most Josh-bashing.

Wow! That year we truly had an explosive offense.
Shame how the season ended, even more shameful how things turned out with Hernandez...the guy had all the talents in the world and he ended up involving himself with some bad bad bad people.

Wow! That year we truly had an explosive offense.
Shame how the season ended, even more shameful how things turned out with Hernandez...the guy had all the talents in the world and he ended up involving himself with some bad bad bad people.

I'm really excited for a 2TE offense. Both Smith and Henry should both play maximum snaps along with the QB and OLine. Don't get cute with crappy 4WR sets. The versatility of keeping 2TE on the field almost all the time helps the running game and play action.

McDumbass deserves all the hate. Brady won in spite of him.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back