PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts: what if the Vikings make the super bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxyboro

On the Roster
Reaction score
everyone’s opinion of Case Keemun and the Vikings chances aside, fact is, the Vikings are the #2 seed in the NFC.

Obviously, the NFL is in an unprecedented situation. Never before has a team that is hosting the super bowl made the big game themselves.

Let’s just say for argument sake that the super bowl is Vikings and Patriots.

This year, by rotation, the AFC team is the “designated” home team, thus, the Patriots would get first choice jersey color. The Vikings would also get to choose which side of the coin for the toss.

I also, by assumption, would think that they will still paint the logos on the field how they do in every other super bowl- one end zone would be painted for the Vikings and the other for the pats. The NFL logo would be at midfield and the SB52 logos would be at the 25 yard lines.

One thing that id be curious about, is whether or not the stadium would be allowed to play that Vikings horn that they normally do when the Vikings make a big play (sack, turnover, TD etc.) would they still do that or does the NFL have to make the field seem neutral to both teams.

In the event the super bowl is indeed Vikings patriots, does it worry any of you that it’s essentially a home game for the Vikings?

If the Vikings win this week and the Eagles lose, then the NFC championship game will also be in Minnesota. I'm sure this will mess with the leagues Superbowl stadium preparations.

Interesting point about the Vikings horn. What will realize cause the pats trouble is what the Vikings fans will do to the SB ticket prices! Already a steep amount, but if you factor out the associated travel costs, I'm sure that the scalpers are hoping for the Vikings to make it.

Hope not cause of the defense, not saying we would lose just would be a tougher match up compared to other teams, so far I'm hoping for a Patriots/Saints Super Bowl

I’m picking Pats vs the field all day everyday.

Just a side note: The Vikings D has ONLY given up 51 3rd down conversions all season!
Weak QBs or not, that’s damn impressive. They match up very well with us defensively.

There is no such thing as 'home field advantage' in the superbowl beyond the local team being familiar with the facilities and not having to travel anywhere. Everything else calls for a neutral site. That means that no Viking horn, no in-stadium Vikings announcer trying to work up the crowd, etc.. And on the last point, it wouldn't matter anyways. If you think the crowd will be 85%-95% Vikings fans just because it's their home turf, you're wrong. Ticket allocations, sponsors, league attendees, and prices, mean you can expect more or less even crowd. On the same token, if the Superbowl were to ever be played at Gillette, and the Pats were in it, you can forget about the 3rd down fog horn, expect the Superbowl banners removed, and everything else within the stadium to advertise nothing but the two playing teams within the scope of the game itself. When it comes to the Superbowl, the league essentially takes over the venue. The local team has no say. The banner at Gillette may not be removed (Costly), but will most definitely covered with some Superbowl logo. Even the home team's locker room goes through a transformation. Hell, I remember last year, the Pats leaving their lock room at NRG Stadium in Superbowl LI, the door outside the locker room, and the surrounding hallways, were painted in Patriots logo/colors.

rmhx6780-watermarked.jpg

img_4142-2-watermarked.jpg

Falcons_Pats.jpg

Super-Bowl-XLIX-10-Hero-Slider_Carousel.jpg

Watch-Super-Bowl-XLIX-online-for-free.jpg

ra_MR10169-1100x733.jpg

Last edited:
01- Blue- W
03- Blue- W
04- White- W
07- Blue- L
11- Blue- L
14- White- W
16- White- W
17- Blue?

2-2 in the Blues and 3-0 in the Whites

Maybe b/c MN is home we can wear the Whites? :p

There is no such thing as 'home field advantage' in the superbowl beyond the local team being familiar with the facilities and not having to travel anywhere. Everything else calls for a neutral site. That means that no Viking horn, no in-stadium Vikings announcer trying to work up the crowd, etc.. And on the last point, it wouldn't matter anyways. If you think the crowd will be 85%-95% Vikings fans just because it's their home turf, you're wrong. Ticket allocations, sponsors, league attendees, and prices, mean you can expect more or less even crowd. On the same token, if the Superbowl were to ever be played at Gillette, and the Pats were in it, you can forget about the 3rd down fog horn, expect the Superbowl banners removed, and everything else within the stadium to advertise nothing but the two playing teams within the scope of the game itself.

how are you so sure? i don't think we'd ever taken the banners down (or cover them up)

also, even tho allocations are same as always, people who are on fence will sell them, and the people who will buy them mostly are vikes fans b/c they'd have more money to spend b/c no flight, hotel, etc

i fully expect if the SB has vikes in it, will be a 70% home crowd minimum

01- Blue- W
03- Blue- W
04- White- W
07- Blue- L
11- Blue- L
14- White- W
16- White- W
17- Blue?

I think we get to choose what color jersey to wear this year idk

Could be dangerous locale for Pat fans as you're outnumbered 100-1.

What will realize cause the pats trouble is what the Vikings fans will do to the SB ticket prices! Already a steep amount, but if you factor out the associated travel costs, I'm sure that the scalpers are hoping for the Vikings to make it.
Interesting. And I bet the travel and hospitality industries in Minnesota are rooting against the Vikings, at least privately. Vikings fans wouldn’t need plane rides and hotel rooms. There goes a lot of the benefit of hosting.

I don't know what all the angst is about. The Vikings are playing the Saints... in a dome. It would be one thing if it was outside and in the elements but the Saints are a dome team and match up well with the Vikes. They also have the advantage at the most important position on the field. I'm taking the Saints in this one.

01- Blue- W
03- Blue- W
04- White- W
07- Blue- L
11- Blue- L
14- White- W
16- White- W
17- Blue?

I guarantee you BB will choose the blue unis only to troll the vikings so that they won’t feel like it’s a home game.

Interesting. And I bet the travel and hospitality industries in Minnesota are rooting against the Vikings, at least privately. Vikings fans wouldn’t need plane rides and hotel rooms. There goes a lot of the benefit of hosting.

The saints on the road are a different team...

I work in college sports, and although it is not quite the same as the NFL, I can say that when we host NCAA Championship events, we are not allowed to play any of our normal in game pump up stuff. We cannot even play our fight song! I'd imagine that if the Vikings are in the super bowl, they cannot do any of their normal home game crowd stuff, and it will be as neutral a game as possible. If the Pats, are there, I am sure there will be a ton of Pats fans in attendance

I work in college sports, and although it is not quite the same as the NFL, I can say that when we host NCAA Championship events, we are not allowed to play any of our normal in game pump up stuff. We cannot even play our fight song! I'd imagine that if the Vikings are in the super bowl, they cannot do any of their normal home game crowd stuff, and it will be as neutral a game as possible. If the Pats, are there, I am sure there will be a ton of Pats fans in attendance

The problem is that the usual patriots super bowl crowd will probably have “super bowl fatigue” in actually going to the game (i.e, been there, done that). You can’t keep blowing 3-5K every year per ticket. On the other hand the vikings have not been to the super bowl since the 70s and I am sure their fans will gobble tickets up like crazy on the secondary market.

Last edited:
Could be, but the Patriots have a huge fan base (same goes for the Steelers), so I assume lot of them would want to be there at the venue. Massive home crowd turnout would happen against the Jaguars, they are small franchise located across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes