PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Titus Young?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple Jack's Brother

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Before you completely shoot this down, I understand that the guy CLEARLY has an attitude problem/is a basketcase. That being said, he's still incredibly young and has loads of potential. Most reports (Titus Young - Detroit Lions - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com) seem to indicate the Lions want to get rid of the guy bad. I'm guessing they'd be willing to take anything at this point in return for unloading him.

Question is, would BB be willing to take a flier on another, talented, but troubled young player? He's not a big, physical receiver that we'd all like, but he has SPEED, quickness, and good hands, plus he's still got a couple years left on his cheap rookie contract. I know we don't want locker room cancers, but my opinion is a change of scenery could certainly help (see Moss, Randy), he's still young and his antics wouldn't be tolerated by the coaches or players, and if he messes up, you cut him. Just wanted to get some input. Thanks.

Titus Young can't run routes to save his life. Titus Young is all about himself. He's not a team player. It's pretty bad when one of the Captains of your team get's asked about you and he said "****** him."

No thanks...purposefully lining up in the wrong spots?

Ha lol no.

No thanks...purposefully lining up in the wrong spots?

Like I said, it seems like the guy clearly could use a change of scenery. Remember Randy Moss dogging it in Oakland? The guy openly stated he only played when he wanted to play. Different players obviously, but on-field drama isn't that far off.

Like I said, it seems like the guy clearly could use a change of scenery. Remember Randy Moss dogging it in Oakland? The guy openly stated he only played when he wanted to play. Different players obviously, but on-field drama isn't that far off.

Well....Moss is and was one of the GOAT WRs. You'd take that risk for the price that was paid any day of the week. Young is...well, doodoo.

Well....Moss is and was one of the GOAT WRs. You'd take that risk for the price that was paid any day of the week. Young is...well, doodoo.

Can't argue there. More than anything just hopeful BB can pull some doodoo out of his magic hat and turn it into gold.

There is a bit of a difference between "playing when you want to play" and "lining up where you want to line up" :D

Why does everyone refer to the Moss quote that was taken out of context as a defense for every dumb receiver out there?

First and foremost, Moss had numerous years of experience behind him before he went to Oakland. He had respect of every player in the locker-room in Minny and in Oakland. Moss never lined up wrong to piss off a coach to our knowledge.

Titus Young doesn't have the respect of the players in the Lions locker-room. He doesn't have the respect of his coaches. And he doesn't respect his coaches as shown by his purposely lining up in the wrong spot during games.

Do you actually think that would fly with the Pats?

Can't argue there. More than anything just hopeful BB can pull some doodoo out of his magic hat and turn it into gold.

Young has the skills, and I actually had him as a receiver I wanted the Patriots to draft. Unfortunately, we don't have the sort of access to a player's mentality that teams do, and I didn't realize just how much of a head case this guy seems to be. At this point, I think he's a player you pass on. Unlike Moss and Dillon, Young is not enough of a talent to bother with, IMO, and that's too bad, because his game would have been a nice fit as a Branch replacement.

I think he's a jackass

Young has the skills, and I actually had him as a receiver I wanted the Patriots to draft. Unfortunately, we don't have the sort of access to a player's mentality that teams do, and I didn't realize just how much of a head case this guy seems to be. At this point, I think he's a player you pass on. Unlike Moss and Dillon, Young is not enough of a talent to bother with, IMO, and that's too bad, because his game would have been a nice fit as a Branch replacement.

That's what I was going for. He seems to have the physical skills, just don't know where the hell is head is at. Unfortunate really, and seems to be another wasted talent due to his own immaturity.

I've addressed this one before:

mayoclinic said:
Titus Young is a cancer. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pool, and I'm betting the Pats wouldn't either. Despite 4.3 speed and occasionally showing DeSean Jackson/Percy Harvin kind of skills, Young is just a dead weight who will drag a team down. He is selfish, resistant to authority, and the antithesis of a team player. He also has no self-discipline, can't run routes, and can't block. Anything else I should add?

Young's personality problems go way, way back ... at least to high school. He was suspended from school in the 9th grade.

At Boise St. Young reportedly had problems with recurrent fumbles, missing team meetings, and inability to learn the playbook. He flaunted coaches' authority, and was suspended during the 2008 season, intially for at least 3 games, later extended to the remainder of the season (10 games), and there was talk of him transferring. Instead, he came back for the 2009 and 2010 seasons and was quite successful, and seemed to put his troubles behind him, though he still had a reputation for selfishness, and several teams reportedly took him off their draft boards because of character concerns.

Detroit didn't, and took him in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft. Young missed time in training camp with a hamstring injury.

Last year Young drew a critical penalty for throwing a punch at a New Orleans defender in the red zone, stalling a key drive. That led to a confrontation with coaches on the sideline, and to a shouting match with center Dominic Raiola. He had a number of other boneheaded penalties that hurt drives as well.

This spring Young was suspended for throwing a sucker punch at safety Louis Delmas. Since then he's been in an authority struggle with the Lions' coaching staff, and was a healthy scratch at several times this season. Annoyed about a perceived lack of playing time and receptions, Young reportedly deliberately lined up in TE Tony Scheffler's position on purpose several times during the Green Bay game, leading to a confrontation with the coaching staff and his current suspension, and eventual IR status.

This is not a salvageable kid. This is a kid with a longstanding history of suspensions, selfishness, inability to tolerate authority, and an insatiable need for the limelight. He also has a very limited skillset. He would be the worst possible fit for the Patriots, IMHO.

I can put it more strongly if you like.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/95/978219-wanted-info-titus-young.html (post #10)

For some reads on the kid's background and more recent problems, try some of the following:

Going, Going, Gone: Boise State's Titus Young Suspended for the Year | Bleacher Report
Detroit Lions WR Titus Young's Chronic Character Issues | Bleacher Report
Titus Young overcomes adversity - Arbiter Online | Arbiter Online
Titus Young breaks silence over sucker-punch incident - Yahoo! Sports
Lions WR Titus Young purposely sabotaged Lions offense | It's Always Sunny in Detroit
The Lions sound as if they

As I said before, I can state it more strongly if you preer.

The Jets should trade for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe