PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their defense at this point in time is nowhere near what it has been in recent years. The loss of Bennett and Chancellor has been huge. This will also be a short week for them in which they'll have to travel across the country, while NE has been preparing for them for 2 weeks. I think you can throw out most stats from 2011-2015 for this game.

Chancellor is expected to be back this week...

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll expects Kam Chancellor back for Patriots as team begins to get healthier

Got a tough one this week. Superbowl rematch with the Seahawks coming to town. No doubt they had this one circled.

I am curious to see how our D plays their O. Last time we played them Revis, Browner & Arrington saw the most snaps at CB. Collins and Jones and Wilfork were here. Needless to say a lot of changes here in 2 years. The same could be said for the O with offensive line changes (only Solder was playing in the 2014 SB on the OL and sub in White for Vereen/Hogan for Lafell and add in Bennett.

What a difference 2 years makes. Still we will see a lot of the same big names on both sides.

Our O vs their D - This will be interesting as the Pats have morph more into a deep passing team this year then they were in 2014 (Besides the Gronk TD they kept most of the plays 15 yards or shorter).

I wonder if this game they try to get back more to dink and dunk which served them well in 2014 or if they feel comfortable taking shots down field vs this D. I think the Pats stick with what has worked for them this year but maybe send a few more balls to Edelman/White/Lewis.

The Bills were not able to force anything deep on the Seahawks and this could be the case most of the game for the Pats though there were a few chances. Even without Bennett the Seahawks still look to have a very decent pass rush and I think the D will pose problems for the O. However the OL on the whole has pass blocked well. Their DBs are very good but their LBs in coverage are suspect. I feel like this team is still mostly the same on D and a lot of what worked last time can transition over.

Our D vs their O - Wilson looked the best he has in a while last night. Baldwin/Lockett/Graham are all looking well and this has clearly turned into more of a pass first offense. Their running game has been average this year when healthy and they are not particularly healthy right now in the run game. Graham in particular has looked really good lately. Though i think one of his TDs should have been overturned those 1 handed grabs over the back were sick. There is no way to defend them if thrown well but they are hard to pull off and the fact that we don't see Graham or anyone do it often gives me the feeling he was just really feeling it that one night.

I would look to stop the pass first and control pass rush. I don't think this is a game you need to commit extra resources to stop the run. Chung and Butler will be key this game as they will see a lot of Baldwin and Graham. If you contain them their O can't do too much. Those are the guys BB should and will focus on.

Overall a tough opponent, physical opponent is coming to town. This will be the best team the Pats have faced all year (Pitt with no Ben doesn't count) and will be good to see the Pats tested vs imo a top 5 team that is mostly healthy.
As regards the Seattle offense, I'm more worried about some guy who was working in a shoe store or selling tires last week, who comes in and burns the Patriot secondary for a couple of touchdowns.

Although to be fair they Bills did not have McCoy when the Pats played them in Buffalo.

I don't think McCoy would have changed that much. In that loss to the bills NE held McCoy in check, 19 rushes for 70 yards, longest run was 9 yards

He's also pretty much a non factor in their passing game. I mean statistically James White has been better than McCoy this year in the passing game

McCoy 24 rec 132 yards 1 TD

White 29 rec 260 yards 3 TD

Thanks for the info. He'll help them for sure, but Bennett being out is still a big advantage for NE. He was their best player the last time we played them.

Their pass rush has hurt big time without him. That's for sure.

Last edited:
Was on the Seahawks reddit and they were joking about how Chancellor has been expected back every week for the last 3 weeks. Not saying he won't play or anything. But some of their aren't buying it until he is actually active for a game.

I certainly hope he isn't. But I still think the Pats are going to win this one even if he is. I'm sure our WR's won't exactly be sad if he doesn't go.

We have sometimes struggled/started slow coming off bye week. I can understand the reasons behind that but hoping it won't be the case this week. How well we play Seattle can tell us a lot about our team. They may not be a championship team today but they are definitely a contender.

Their OL is in the running for the worst I've ever seen and Wilson's mobility is pretty much shot, so if there's ever a game that we should be able to dominate at the LOS it's this one.

You didn't watch last night. His mobility is getting better. I only expect his mobility to be even better against us.

Whenever I think of the Seahawks I think of Russell Wilson. He's one of the best, yet overlooked, QB's in the NYFL. His record in both regular season and playoffs is astounding, and not because of the defense.

When Brady leaves, Wilson will take over as the best.

This game is the test against a good QB that some here have been looking forward to for our defense. This will definitely help us gauge (I smile a little when I use that word now) the strength of the defense.

If I were McDaniels and Brady, I would prepare for the Seahawks to throw a lot of man under and Cover-1 looks at them, which would be a sharp contrast from their usual alignment. Brady will absolutely SHRED their zone coverages if given time and their pass rush has not been up to snuff. I would expect something like what the Steelers threw at them in 2011. Even going back to Super Bowl 49, the Seahawks began to play some man to man in response to the Pats tearing them apart underneath while they were playing zone. For a good example of that, see the long TD pass to Gronk.

You didn't watch last night. His mobility is getting better. I only expect his mobility to be even better against us.

Sure I did. He made one play with his legs, where he basically jogged into the end zone because there was nobody anywhere near him. I saw Peyton Manning make a similar play a couple years ago, it's not exactly a feat of athleticism. Nothing has really changed there, he's still not a significant threat to beat anyone with his legs right now.

If I were McDaniels and Brady, I would prepare for the Seahawks to throw a lot of man under and Cover-1 looks at them, which would be a sharp contrast from their usual alignment. Brady will absolutely SHRED their zone coverages if given time and their pass rush has not been up to snuff. I would expect something like what the Steelers threw at them in 2011. Even going back to Super Bowl 49, the Seahawks began to play some man to man in response to the Pats tearing them apart underneath while they were playing zone. For a good example of that, see the long TD pass to Gronk.

Their man to man sucked in XLIX. Even BB commented on it in the belichick breakdown of the game.

Sure I did. He made one play with his legs, where he basically jogged into the end zone because there was nobody anywhere near him. I saw Peyton Manning make a similar play a couple years ago, it's not exactly a feat of athleticism. Nothing has really changed there, he's still not a significant threat to beat anyone with his legs right now.

Fair enough. But I think we can definitely see his mobility has improved since he hurt his ankle and knee.

2016 Patriot Offense leaps and bounds better than Patriots team who beat Sea hawks in SB no disrespect LaFell. Gameplan throw away from Sherman he's only one guy...No! Team has stopped all our weapons yet.
Shane Vereen was a key in our SB Gameplan James White just as good as Vereen catching Football Sea Hags will have their hands full.

Taylor vs Pats "****TY" defense last week
19/38(50%) 183 yards
5 rush 48 yards 1 TD

Taylor vs the Seahawks VAUNTED defense
27/38 (71%) 289 yards 1 TD 1 INT
8 rush 43 yards 1 TD

Bills vs Pats on 3rd down 4 for 13 (30%)

Bills vs Seahawks on 3rd down 12 for 17 (70%)

Seattle gave up over 400 yards to the Bill, in a game that was competitive. The Pats gave up 375 in a game that was not. Was very surprised how easily the Bill O played against the Seattle D.

Seattle gave up over 400 yards to the Bill, in a game that was competitive. The Pats gave up 375 in a game that was not. Was very surprised how easily the Bill O played against the Seattle D.

I wasn't. I figured they wouldn't be used to Tyrod like we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST