PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Got a tough one this week. Superbowl rematch with the Seahawks coming to town. No doubt they had this one circled.

I am curious to see how our D plays their O. Last time we played them Revis, Browner & Arrington saw the most snaps at CB. Collins and Jones and Wilfork were here. Needless to say a lot of changes here in 2 years. The same could be said for the O with offensive line changes (only Solder was playing in the 2014 SB on the OL and sub in White for Vereen/Hogan for Lafell and add in Bennett.

What a difference 2 years makes. Still we will see a lot of the same big names on both sides.

Our O vs their D - This will be interesting as the Pats have morph more into a deep passing team this year then they were in 2014 (Besides the Gronk TD they kept most of the plays 15 yards or shorter).

I wonder if this game they try to get back more to dink and dunk which served them well in 2014 or if they feel comfortable taking shots down field vs this D. I think the Pats stick with what has worked for them this year but maybe send a few more balls to Edelman/White/Lewis.

The Bills were not able to force anything deep on the Seahawks and this could be the case most of the game for the Pats though there were a few chances. Even without Bennett the Seahawks still look to have a very decent pass rush and I think the D will pose problems for the O. However the OL on the whole has pass blocked well. Their DBs are very good but their LBs in coverage are suspect. I feel like this team is still mostly the same on D and a lot of what worked last time can transition over.

Our D vs their O - Wilson looked the best he has in a while last night. Baldwin/Lockett/Graham are all looking well and this has clearly turned into more of a pass first offense. Their running game has been average this year when healthy and they are not particularly healthy right now in the run game. Graham in particular has looked really good lately. Though i think one of his TDs should have been overturned those 1 handed grabs over the back were sick. There is no way to defend them if thrown well but they are hard to pull off and the fact that we don't see Graham or anyone do it often gives me the feeling he was just really feeling it that one night.

I would look to stop the pass first and control pass rush. I don't think this is a game you need to commit extra resources to stop the run. Chung and Butler will be key this game as they will see a lot of Baldwin and Graham. If you contain them their O can't do too much. Those are the guys BB should and will focus on.

Overall a tough opponent, physical opponent is coming to town. This will be the best team the Pats have faced all year (Pitt with no Ben doesn't count) and will be good to see the Pats tested vs imo a top 5 team that is mostly healthy.

Lane looks like a liability in coverage for them. I expect Brady to pick on him quite a bit.

Their run game has been pretty awful, mostly due to their OL (which has been poor in both run and pass blocking.) I don't see their RBs having much success, but Wilson might break a few big runs.

Regarding Jimmy Graham, let Chung get physical with him. That should render him useless for most of the game.

I expect a 10+ point victory.

It'll be a close one...it shouldn't but the Seahawks are gamers. In a way, these two teams are cut from the same cloth. You have to beat them for 60 mins to get a win.

Lane looks like a liability in coverage for them. I expect Brady to pick on him quite a bit.
I still remember Seahawks fans claiming that Lane going out in the Super Bowl after the INT was a big factor for the Patriots winning that game, heh.

I expect a 10+ point victory.
Seahawks haven't lost by 10+ points since 2011.

It'll be a close one...it shouldn't but the Seahawks are gamers. In a way, these two teams are cut from the same cloth. You have to beat them for 60 mins to get a win.
I would agree but the schedule really favors the Pats here. Two weeks to prepare vs. Seattle coming off a Monday night game and travelling across the country. You gotta play the schedule you're given, but it's one of the few times (says the Pats' homer ;) ) that the Pats have the advantage.

Of course, NFC games are really the least important games on the schedule, relatively speaking.

I still remember Seahawks fans claiming that Lane going out in the Super Bowl after the INT was a big factor for the Patriots winning that game, heh.

Seahawks haven't lost by 10+ points since 2011.

I guess Sunday will be the first time in 5 years that it happens, then.

Taylor vs Pats "****TY" defense last week
19/38(50%) 183 yards
5 rush 48 yards 1 TD

Taylor vs the Seahawks VAUNTED defense
27/38 (71%) 289 yards 1 TD 1 INT
8 rush 43 yards 1 TD

Bills vs Pats on 3rd down 4 for 13 (30%)

Bills vs Seahawks on 3rd down 12 for 17 (70%)

I would agree but the schedule really favors the Pats here. Two weeks to prepare vs. Seattle coming off a Monday night game and travelling across the country. You gotta play the schedule you're given, but it's one of the few times (says the Pats' homer ;) ) that the Pats have the advantage. Of course, NFC games are really the least important games on the schedule, relatively speaking.
Yeah they got ****ed. Always seemed like we'd get a Monday Nighter every friggin time before we play Peyton/Broncos...

contain avril. keep him off brady and offense should be ok. him going down in the super bowl is a key factor in that game that doesnt get much attention

They won't have Bennett on the field.

Their OL is in the running for the worst I've ever seen and Wilson's mobility is pretty much shot, so if there's ever a game that we should be able to dominate at the LOS it's this one.

Is that true? Wow.
Yep, their biggest loss this season is 6 points to the Rams. Last season it was 10 points to the Packers. 2014 nine points to the Chargers. 2013 seven points to the Cardinals and 2012 seven points to the 49ers. Their last loss by 10+ points came in October 30 2011, 22 points against the Bengals.

Patriots will be playing at home and coming off a bye as well. Seattle will have short rest and two of their star defenders injured. I fully expect the Pats to win by double digits

Yep, their biggest loss this season is 6 points to the Rams. Last season it was 10 points to the Packers. 2014 nine points to the Chargers. 2013 seven points to the Cardinals and 2012 seven points to the 49ers. Their last loss by 10+ points came in October 30 2011, 22 points against the Bengals.
That's excellent consistency. Apart from the Chiefs a couple years back (and the Bills this year without Brady) I think you'd have to go back to 2010 for the Pats to have other double-digit losses (the Browns and maybe the Jets that year? Don't want to cheat and look). So not many on this side either, but you know, we're the PATRIOTS.

That's excellent consistency. Apart from the Chiefs a couple years back (and the Bills this year without Brady) I think you'd have to go back to 2010 for the Pats to have other double-digit losses (the Browns and maybe the Jets that year? Don't want to cheat and look). So not many on this side either, but you know, we're the PATRIOTS.
With Tom Brady as QB the Patriots biggest losses have been 10 points to the Dolphins last year, 27 points to KC in 2014 (also a 13 point loss to the Dolphins on opening day), 10 points to the Broncos in the AFCCG in 2013 (biggest regular season loss was 7 points to the Bengals, pretty impressive if you consider just how banged up that team was the entire year), 15 points to the Ravens in the AFCCG 2012 (regular season was 7 points to the 49ers), 8 points to the Steelers in 2011. In 2010 they lost by 14 against the Jets and 20 against the freaking Browns.

Seattle's consistency speaks volumes about their defensive prowess. Usually you just don't score enough points against them to blow them out.

Taylor vs Pats "****TY" defense last week
19/38(50%) 183 yards
5 rush 48 yards 1 TD

Taylor vs the Seahawks VAUNTED defense
27/38 (71%) 289 yards 1 TD 1 INT
8 rush 43 yards 1 TD

Bills vs Pats on 3rd down 4 for 13 (30%)

Bills vs Seahawks on 3rd down 12 for 17 (70%)

further to that point, taylor was playing on the road against the seahawks as opposed to at home against the patriots.

Seattle's consistency speaks volumes about their defensive prowess. Usually you just don't score enough points against them to blow them out.

Their defense at this point in time is nowhere near what it has been in recent years. The loss of Bennett and Chancellor has been huge. This will also be a short week for them in which they'll have to travel across the country, while NE has been preparing for them for 2 weeks. I think you can throw out most stats from 2011-2015 for this game.

further to that point, taylor was playing on the road against the seahawks as opposed to at home against the patriots.

Although to be fair they Bills did not have McCoy when the Pats played them in Buffalo.

Although to be fair they Bills did not have McCoy when the Pats played them in Buffalo.
They also only scored 16 in Foxborough with McCoy, where the defense crapped their bed the first half but completely shut down the Bills after intermission (they only gained 122 yards in the second half after 221 in the first).

Their defense at this point in time is nowhere near what it has been in recent years. The loss of Bennett and Chancellor has been huge. This will also be a short week for them in which they'll have to travel across the country, while NE has been preparing for them for 2 weeks. I think you can throw out most stats from 2011-2015 for this game.
They are still a tremendously good defense. I agree that their pass coverage isn't what it used to be, especially in 2013-14. They are allowing a 62.9% completion rate and 6.8 yards per attempt, which is actually worse than that of the Pats (62.5% completion and 6.7 yards per attempt), relying a lot on their pass rush, which obviously is hurting from the loss of Bennett (though Avril is playing well). Their rush defense though - despite the Bills running over them yesterday - is top-notch.

I do think the Patriots' offense has the personnel to hang 30+ on them, but I personally wouldn't bet on a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down