PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the first preseason game tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited to see the preseason game day thread full of posts like "The pats are not going to even make the playoffs let alone with a superbowl with this defense" And "I wish the pats would make a trade to bring in a REAL #1 reciever" and "Gronk is clearly done, we should trade him to the browns for a first rounder and joe thomas" And of course my favorite "We really need to dump mcdaniels, hes not very creative when calling the offense"

Don't forget "can't this defense EVER get a stop on 3rd down??!!"

For me: Wise & Butler vs. the 1s

Recent past preseason stars to translate:

Malcolm Butler
Trey Flowers
James White
Dion Lewis
Cre'von Leblanc (Bears)
Jimmy Garoppolo somewhat
A.J. Derby (5th rounder from Elway)

Recent past preseason stars to not translate:

Chris Harper
Kenbrell Thompkins
Brian Tyms
Rufus Johnson
Anthony Johnson
Darryl Roberts
Zach Sudfeld

TBD

D.J. Foster
Jonathan Jones

Missing anyone of note last 4-5 years?

I think you need to include Jonathan Jones in the first group, given his presence on ST. I'd also argue that Darryl Roberts, who started a few games for the Jets, has shown at least as much as Leblanc or Derby. Otherwise, pretty good list.

Get ready for flags, flags and more flags

Missing anyone of note last 4-5 years?

Slightly beyond the 4-5 year line, but all time preseason fan favorite (behind only Adam Seward, of course) Markell Carter says hi.

Pats doubled his practice squad salary and he had some 'practice player of the week' awards, and then... he was cut prior to the following training camp.

According to the interwebz he was last seen with something called the Colorado Ice of the alleged Indoor Football League three years ago.

Slightly beyond the 4-5 year line, but all time preseason fan favorite (behind only Adam Seward, of course) Markell Carter says hi.

Pats doubled his practice squad salary and he had some 'practice player of the week' awards, and then... he was cut prior to the following training camp.

According to the interwebz he was last seen with something called the Colorado Ice of the alleged Indoor Football League three years ago.

Ah, yes, I remember Markell.

Back in the days when I still had binkies (no, D.J. Foster is just someone I root for, as I do all the Pats players ...) he was one of mine. I can't remember him, though, as having any great games in pre-season. I think it was more the idea of him.

That was the time when the Pats were getting tormented by Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Aaron Schobel and the like, but BB was in the we-don't-need-no-stinking-pass-rusher-let's-just-take-a-tight-end mode. And Markel had about a million sacks in college -- though most of them came against the Arizona School of Needlework and similar opponents.

So we got our hopes up. What can I tell you? It was pre-season and we're fans ...

1) No injuries.
2) I'm hoping that the broadcast team, including the video director, has an epiphany and realizes that the players on the field are the actual stars of the show, not themselves or the people on the sideline. Of course, the odds of this happening are somewhat less than the odds that the Jests win the Superbowl, so I expect that the PAUSE, REWIND and FAST-FORWARD buttons on our remote will be getting a significant workout this evening.
3) I want to see who plays on ST coverage and blocking units and how well they perform. The players who show up consistently well on those units greatly improve their chances of making the cut or the PS, I think.
4) I want to see how, Lengel, O'Shaughnessy, J. Hollister, and Cotton are deployed.
5) Burkhead, Bolden, Lewis and Foster running, receiving and pass-pro.
6) Does Adam Butler move around on the DL or stay put on the interior (and who anchors the interior in Branch's role)?
7) How much does Rivers play out of a 2-point stance, and how quick/hesitant does he look doing it?
8) Where Langi plays and is he under control?
9) How much gas does Harris appear to have left in the tank?
10) Edge-contain, tackling technique as well as coverage consistency for all DBs, especially for Jordan Richards, Jon Jones, Cy Jones, Coleman.
11) Which (if any) safety candidates lines up as the "2nd LB" in 2-LB sets?
12) Gap-discipline, play-action discipline, blocking shedding, tackling technique for all LBs + edge-discipline for all front seven guys when they line up on the outside, especially at DE.
13) OL weak spots in pass-pro (both 1v1 and combo assignments), and aggressiveness/success run-blocking.
14) Returner and spotter tryouts.

I'll be interested to see how the back up quarterbacks play.

I predict... as with almost every preseason game I watch...

I will be very excited for kickoff...

...and it's 50-50 whether I make it beyond halftime. o_O

After six months without football it's fun just to see guys wearing the uniform running around the field.

But the fun wears off quick when you realize you are watching strangers who won't be on the team play vanilla scheme without any care for winning.

I'm going to watch the game day thread to see if any Garoppolites have an aneurysm after JG throws his first pick. :D
You're a brave soul. Though I may wander in there to offer some positivity when the chicken littles decide to squawk.

Because the chances of me not hearing about anything before I watch the game is pretty much zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back