PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts On SIX Very Competitive Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are other spots that aren't locks at all, but these SIX positions seem the most wide open.

#5 WR
Gunner seems to be beating out Meyers and Thomas. There is no reason for a 6th, any of the 3 could be on the PS.
===========================
#8 and #9 OL
I think that seven spots are almost locked, including the injured 2019 rookies and Eluemunor.
I have no strong feelings among Cunningham, Gauthier, Herron, Onwenu and an acquistion. One is likely to be a Game Day 8th OL.
=============
#3 TE
Izzo, Quessenbury, an UDFA or an acquisition.
====================
Front 6 Defensive Players (13 roster spots; 11 likely; choose 2)
VERY LIKELY: Guy, Wise, Butler, Cowert, Rivers, Simon, Winovich, Uche, Jennings, Copeland, Bentley

CHOOSE 2
DT: we need at least on from Allen, an acquisition, Williams, Thurman
LB: Harris, Malulia. acuisition
IMO, LB is the most likely acquisition, probably a trade.

If reports are true and nothing changes going forward, Gunner is nearly a lock. He is not only out-performing every WRs in camp so far (including Edelman, but he's banged up), but also a viable PR/KR option. Jakobi Meyers has to beat out Damiere Byrd or Mohammed Sanu, otherwise, he is not making the team. Jeff Thomas will probably end up on the PS.

Cunningham and Herron should have the edge here for backup OL. Herron is ahead of Onwenu because of his positional versatility (can play both OT and OG).

Quessenbury is competing with Jakob Johnson for FB position according to reporters. Izzo is TE3 (might be TE2 if Dalton Keene continues to have an up-and-down camp).

No real opinion on LB, but Cassh Maluia has been good.

Please cut Sanu. Guy is a loser and will always disappoint, especially if asked to make a key play.

Gunner seems to be beating out Meyers and Thomas. There is no reason for a 6th, any of the 3 could be on the PS.

You have every right to be unimpressed by Gunner, but with all the hype and press he's getting no way he would make it to the PS.

There are other spots that aren't locks at all, but these SIX positions seem the most wide open.

#5 WR

Completely a hunch, but watching the video of Thomas, he plays so damned fast, I think he might make the team, and doubt he'll last to the PS. He comes off the line like the Falcon 9. Gunner makes it, from all we're hearing, but I have a hunch that Thomas does as well.

With practice squads being extended to 16 guys including 4 of those guys being "protected", I consider the roster set at 57 bodies (53 plus 4 protected on the PS). In addition, I believe I read in a Mike Lomardi article, many GM's and coaches don't plan to raid anyone's practice squads this year out of competitive respect. So, it is possible that we will actually have a roster of 69 players (53 + 16 PS).

Currently, we have 80 guys in camp....8 opt outs....1-2 on PUP/IR I think....basically, we are only cutting 11 guys and beyond that we would have 12 guys that could be picked up by other teams....possibly.

In short, we could be rolling with 6 WR's (with Slater the 7th WR) and 9 OL men this year. We have many players we can cut and have them sitting by the phone ready to take a COVID-19 test.

With practice squads being extended to 16 guys including 4 of those guys being "protected", I consider the roster set at 57 bodies (53 plus 4 protected on the PS). In addition, I believe I read in a Mike Lomardi article, many GM's and coaches don't plan to raid anyone's practice squads this year out of competitive respect. So, it is possible that we will actually have a roster of 69 players (53 + 16 PS).

Currently, we have 80 guys in camp....8 opt outs....1-2 on PUP/IR I think....basically, we are only cutting 11 guys and beyond that we would have 12 guys that could be picked up by other teams....possibly.

In short, we could be rolling with 6 WR's (with Slater the 7th WR) and 9 OL men this year. We have many players we can cut and have them sitting by the phone ready to take a COVID-19 test.

can you put the players directly on PS or do they need to go through waivers?
as far as I am aware you have to release them and after they clear waivers you can pick them up for PS, after that you can protect them for each week but also not the same player for more than 4 weeks or something like that I thought I have read somewhere on twitter
or was it you cannot move them to the rooster and back to PS without waivers more than 4 times?

Gunner & Thomas will be the first picked from waivers by FatMatt and Florio, I'd rather kick Sanu and go with both of the younger guys (for future), Sanu isn't adding much value beside dropping balls already in TC...

You have every right to be unimpressed by Gunner, but with all the hype and press he's getting no way he would make it to the PS.

Huh? He just said that Gunner was all but a lock.

Huh? He just said that Gunner was all but a lock.

Huh? OP said "Gunner seems to be beating out Meyers and Thomas. There is no reason for a 6th, any of the 3 could be on the PS" which isn't close to saying Gunner is a lock. He clearly is unimpressed by Gunner so far, which is not unreasonable. But what I was questioning was his claim that Gunner as one of the 3 could be on the PS. It's not reasonable to assume Gunner would make it to the PS given that he is impressing many folks, even if OP is unimpressed.

LB was the most gutted position coming in to camp and I'm cautiously optimistic, given the praise for Jennings and Uche thus far. With Winovich, that's a good core of youngsters, cheap, for the next 3 years, if they maintain the trajectory.

as far as I am aware you have to release them and after they clear waivers you can pick them up for PS, after that you can protect them for each week but also not the same player for more than 4 weeks or something like that I thought I have read somewhere on twitter
or was it you cannot move them to the rooster and back to PS without waivers more than 4 times?.

The bolded part is is correct.

As far as the protection goes, I haven't seen full details, but what I've read is that there is a window each week (basically, Monday/Tuesday) where teams can't block players from leaving (remember, teams can't "claim" a player off another team's PS if the player doesn't want to leave). I'm not sure about limits, etc., except that teams can protect up to four players per week.

I don't think Belichick cares. If Gunner is good enough to make the 53, which it seems he is, then he'll make the 53.

Huh? OP said "Gunner seems to be beating out Meyers and Thomas. There is no reason for a 6th, any of the 3 could be on the PS" which isn't close to saying Gunner is a lock. He clearly is unimpressed by Gunner so far, which is not unreasonable. But what I was questioning was his claim that Gunner as one of the 3 could be on the PS. It's not reasonable to assume Gunner would make it to the PS given that he is impressing many folks, even if OP is unimpressed.
Ah. I thought you were talking to Flash which made no sense. Which should have been my first clue.

or was it you cannot move them to the rooster and back to PS without waivers more than 4 times?

Gunner & Thomas will be the first picked from waivers by FatMatt and Florio, I'd rather kick Sanu and go with both of the younger guys (for future), Sanu isn't adding much value beside dropping balls already in TC...

All good questions! Not sure myself...but imagine the 4 protected guys wouldn't need to pass thru waivers.

Bring in K Stephen Hauschka. He’s better than Folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes