PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thomas fined for tackle on Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 seconds eh?

The tuck rule was put in for Brady?

What planet are you living on?

Seriously....5 seconds before he tackeled him, Thomas was still on the other side of the line.

And I am still not clear as whether a player is allowed to body slam a quarterback, even if the whistle hasn't blown.

From what I understand listening to all the pundits on the radio the answer is no, I guess if he got him down without the slam he would have been okay.

And I am still not clear as whether a player is allowed to body slam a quarterback, even if the whistle hasn't blown.

the tackle was completely legal...arms wrapped around the body, the QB struggling to stay upright, a twist to take him to the ground...the league backed up the call by saying the whistle had blown...well, it DID...and I have the game on my DVR...the whistle blows precisely in the MIDDLE of A.T.'s twist to take him down. I can hear a faint whistle with my Mitsu surround sound ramped up to 100%.There's NO POSSIBLE WAY that AT could've #1..heard this whistle and #2...stop the tackle in mid twist. Stupid call.

Last edited:
Good for those humps.

We'll all chip in and pay it off and let our homeboy keep beating asss.

Wow, thats it????

$5000.000 measly dollars??

Roger should be fired....

lol

Last edited:
Goodell also announced today a new layer of a quarterback's uniform. The NFL will unveil it during the next Pats-Bills game in Week 15...

AAAAAq9MmTAAAAAAABBcyg.jpg

As soon as I saw Adalius winding up to slam him down, I thought, DON'T DO IT!! AT had him wrapped up with his arms pinning Trents arms so there was no way Trent could have thrown the ball. You have to know, in that situation, that if you slam him, there could be a penalty. Also, it was a huge gift as I believe they would have been in a long yardage situation if there hadn't been a penalty. I would have rather had him start swiping at the ball with one arm as he contained Edwards with the other arm until the whistle blew, or if he felt that was too risky, just hold him up until the whistle blew. I'd like to see the defensive players going for the ball more, like Bruschi was a master at. I forget the game it was, but I'm sure most of you remember that game, I believe it was a playoff game and Bruschi had a free shot at the quarterback right up the middle and instead of pancaking him, he started swiping at the ball as the qb kept backpedaling and eventually fumbled the ball.

As soon as I saw Adalius winding up to slam him down, I thought, DON'T DO IT!! AT had him wrapped up with his arms pinning Trents arms so there was no way Trent could have thrown the ball. You have to know, in that situation, that if you slam him, there could be a penalty. Also, it was a huge gift as I believe they would have been in a long yardage situation if there hadn't been a penalty. I would have rather had him start swiping at the ball with one arm as he contained Edwards with the other arm until the whistle blew, or if he felt that was too risky, just hold him up until the whistle blew. I'd like to see the defensive players going for the ball more, like Bruschi was a master at. I forget the game it was, but I'm sure most of you remember that game, I believe it was a playoff game and Bruschi had a free shot at the quarterback right up the middle and instead of pancaking him, he started swiping at the ball as the qb kept backpedaling and eventually fumbled the ball.

Bruschi vs. Rhodes in the Colts-Pats Divisional game in '04. He just wanted the ball more...

Just consider the posts on this board if someone had bodyslammed Brady after the whistle had clearly been blown.

which is why i said that the AT call was a good one...the Wilfork call, on the other hand, was a wad of crapola

the tackle was completely legal...arms wrapped around the body, the QB struggling to stay upright, a twist to take him to the ground...the league backed up the call by saying the whistle had blown...well, it DID...and I have the game on my DVR...the whistle blows precisely in the MIDDLE of A.T.'s twist to take him down. I can hear a faint whistle with my Mitsu surround sound ramped up to 100%.There's NO POSSIBLE WAY that AT could've #1..heard this whistle and #2...stop the tackle in mid twist. Stupid call.

the issue wasn't when the whistle blew but the body slam to the ground...you can't slam the QB to the ground even if the ref swallows the whistle and chokes on it....

I want to see an NFL game where the defender doesn't throw the QB down, the whistle isn't blown, and the QB gets away and makes a game-winning throw.

I badly want to see that happen.

Just not in a Patriots game.

giants titans 2006, vince young was rapped up, they let him go and the titans ended up winning. it was a 4th down play or something like that

giants titans 2006, vince young was rapped up, they let him go and the titans ended up winning. it was a 4th down play or something like that

That vaguely reminds me of something. Can't really say I remember what though. Hmmmmmm....

That vaguely reminds me of something. Can't really say I remember what though. Hmmmmmm....

why do the pats always get the short end of the stick :(

i hate eli.........i hate that game

They should send a $5000 check to Wilfork and call it even.

lol. I'll agree with that.

Can't see the fine, but there is no doubt the league does not want QBs thrown to the ground like that. You simply have to drag them down or hold on, but throwing them down with that extra motion is a no no, and the coaches and players know it.

Years ago, sure, but now they are protecting the QB, whether you like it or not.

the issue wasn't when the whistle blew but the body slam to the ground...you can't slam the QB to the ground even if the ref swallows the whistle and chokes on it....

It wasn't remotely close to a body slam. It was a perfectly legit take down. Should he have just hugged the QB until an OL came and knocked him off? Should he have tripped him or done some jujitsu on him? He didn't "body slam" him, he didn't drive himself into him, he made sure he went down. In fact, what he did has a very tiny chance of injury. Much less than most tackles.

I wonder how much money in fines the Jets will earn Sunday?

I dont know why everyone is mad. He attempted to german suplex Edwards after the whistle. Its not just that he slammed him its the way he did it. It was unecessary because he had both arms already. I've seen Big Ben get slammed a few times but it was necessary because he was resisting so hard and no flag. Adalius should have just used better judgement and no that if he was going to sling him to the ground that it had to be the instant that he touched him. Wilfork's penalty was garbage though. It was a textbook wrapup.

Nevertheless, if the refs blow the whistle to end the play, the body slam never happens. If the league really wants to protect the QB, then they should fine the refs for not having blown the whistle sooner when Edwards was clearly "in the grasp". It was because the refs didn't blow the whistle and Edwards kept on struggling that AD pulled him to the ground. As "body slams" go, it was pretty lame, though perhaps not the brightest move on AD's part.

league policy is simple: defenders must hug the quarterback, and then cuddle him gently to the ground.

That's actually true. People may not like it, but "it is what it is."

In response to those who mention instances where the QB escapes and makes a TD pass, I guess you have to decide between that or a possible 15 yard penalty if those are the only alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes