PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This rule change might be VERY problematic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules that are ill-defined, imprecise and involve instantaneous subjective judgement are a recipe for disaster. Especially with a 15 yard penalty price tag.
Yup. I'm already bracing myself for some terribly bad calls. We're going to see otherwise textbook-perfect tackles flagged because of this. With the speed of the game there is NO FREAKING WAY a defender can "think his way through" complying with this rule in every instance.

Last edited:
This can impact the offense too, no leading with the helmet down as RBs often do. The object is keep the head up, which can also be dangerous.

Imagine Brady getting a 15 yarder at the goal line on a plunge?

This can impact the offense too, no leading with the helmet down as RBs often do. The object is keep the head up, which can also be dangerous.

Imagine Brady getting a 15 yarder at the goal line on a plunge?
If you're at the goal line you're looking down to see where you are, you can't do that with your head "up."

I can accept having to take drastic steps to combat brain injuries, but unfortunately my first thought when I heard of this was that the arbitrary/ambiguous nature of the rule will somehow be manipulated to screw the Pats...

Last edited:
The new rule will be discussed in every team training camp (with officials present). The rule will be tested in the pre-season (with possible changes coming).

This is the way with all significant new rules.

I can accept having to take drastic steps to combat brain injuries, but unfortunately my first thought when I heard of this rule change was that the arbitrary/ambiguous nature of the rule will somehow be manipulated to screw the Pats...

I don't think the refs screw the Pats. In fact many thought they caught breaks last year. The refs and the reviews may be incompetent, but I don't think they are crooked.

Now Goodell would screw them in a heat beat if the owners told him.

The new rule will be discussed in every team training camp (with officials present). The rule will be tested in the pre-season (with possible changes coming).

I want to believe that will all work out well...however when it comes to the NFL experience has taught me to keep my guard up, my expectations low and my cynicism handy.

It’s the automatic first down component of the personal foul rule against the defense that really gives the rule it’s teeth and along with pass interference/holding calls(or non calls) is where officiating can really effect the outcome of a game. I’m really concerned with how accurately and consistently the new leading with the helmet rules will be called and how many games will be decided by those calls.

I’ve always been a proponent (probably going back to Sugar Bear Hamilton) that aside from face masks, horse collar, and leg whipping calls personal foul penalties should not effect down and distance only field position. That would neutralize the impact personal foul penalties have on the outcome of games. The league upon review can then go after perpetrators and team ‘s wallets with fines to police the game.

I understand and support new rules to make the game safer for the players. But, more and more games decided by subjective calls without the benefit of review is not what the NFL needs right now.

I don't recall anything of the sort when Polian had the rules changed four straight years back in the early 2000's.

Does this mean the rest of the league will be getting the awful calls we've been getting too?

Just Kidding, Seems the league just wants total ambiguity so any call could be "justified" by the NYFL mouthpieces.

That's because the rule will force the NFL to face a level of uncertainty it hasn't seen in decades.

No one can say what NFL football will look like next season. Not the players. Not the coaches. Not the league. Not the media. No one.

In speaking to players and assistant coaches this week, there's extreme confusion about the rule. Several coaches said they still don't know exactly how it will be officiated. Two players said the same.

The problem is the league itself doesn't seem certain about the rul
e.

Indecision and tentative play causes injury.
If players have to stop and think I’d what comes natural is wrong there will be more injuries.
I certainly hope they will recognize that lowering your shoulder to protect yourself against contact is different than leading with your head.
If this is implemented wrong we are one step closer to the national
Flag football league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back