PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This loss is mostly on the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of blame to go around. Brady for squandering a scoring opportunity at the end of the first half. Gostkowski for being Gostkowski. And yes, the coaches for having Gronkowski in on that final play. There was no way in hell a gimpy Tannehill was going to throw the ball 70 yards in the air. They needed tacklers, not jumpers.
I will probably take some heat for this but the one time Gronk is tasked with making a tackle, he stumbled and fell. As often as he gets hit in the back or down low, one would think that he would have relished a LEGAL opportunity to get some revenge??? (Remember when he practiced his WWE moves on one of the BILLS db's)

Does McDaniels know the clock runs as long as you stay in bounds? You don’t need to run into the teeth of the defense - up the middle - a failing proposition for the entire game. Tell me three Brady sneaks doesn’t get you a TD from that distance.

Really? I wish I could see the reaction around here if Brady gets hurt with less than a minute left on a sneak at the opponent's 2 yard line being up 2.

Nothing about the goalline sequence was done wrong. You kick the FG to make sure Miami needs to go the entire field, you run the ball to make sure you bleed the clock and their TOs.

What you dont do is give up a 70 yard TD that involves laterals with no time on the clock.

A lot of it goes on Gostkowski. They should have never been in the position to lose on a hail mary play.

But, yes, a helping of blame does go on the coaches.

So we are ignoring the Brady brainfart, an awful run defense in the first half and only 6 more points by the offense in the second half but go directly for Ghost?

Not many times teams win games like Miami did. If our defense has played better against running we wouldn't have worried about the final result. I understand teams have problems for instance wth Bell or Gurley but with Gore, Drake and......c'mon Bolden ?! Allowing them almost 200 yards on the ground and 9.0 ypc it is unacceptable.

Looking back, the pats have actually always been vulnerable to these type of play. They have been burned in the past quite often (even last year against the steelers), it's just that this time someone managed to get in the end zone. I don't believe that they are coached correctly on not to give up big plays in tight situation. Play prevent and guys are free to run wild on a short pass play, and deep passes are still being caught.

Last edited:
This will be a good week to take a vacation from this board, as the nattering nabobs of negativity will be out in full force with all their vitriol... as upset as I am over yesterdays loss, there is plenty of blame to go around from the coaching, playcalling, to execution and the individual players who did not do their job..

Note will not listen to sportstalk radio either..

I've always believed that coaches don't win games, players do. Coaches can only lose them. This game was a great example.

First let's start with the play call on 3rd down from the 4 yard line with a two point lead and under a minute left. If the Pats go for the TD there and succeed the game is over, end of story. However, rather than go for the win they run the ball on a day when they can barely eek out a couple of yards and concede the TD. All to gain what, 20 seconds off the clock for just a 5 point lead?

Then there's the absolute stupidity of using the hail mary defense against a QB who's so gimpy that he can barely get any pass off, let alone one of 75 yards. I bet half the fans here knew that they weren't going to throw a bomb there.

I'm sure there were other boneheaded decisions by the coaches but those two stuck out to me. Feel free to point out any that I missed here.
wasting a possesion before the 1st half (the one before the blocked punt)

Does McDaniels know the clock runs as long as you stay in bounds? You don’t need to run into the teeth of the defense - up the middle - a failing proposition for the entire game. Tell me three Brady sneaks doesn’t get you a TD from that distance.

Ugh. 3 Brady sneaks there could also get you Hoyer for the next game.
I’m sure there are more creative plays they could have run.
Our running game is hilarious. We cannot run when teams expect us to run (the hallmark of a good running team is simply that).

Ugh. 3 Brady sneaks there could also get you Hoyer for the next game.
I’m sure there are more creative plays they could have run.
Our running game is hilarious. We cannot run when teams expect us to run (the hallmark of a good running team is simply that).
We did vs MN

This will be a good week to take a vacation from this board, as the nattering nabobs of negativity will be out in full force with all their vitriol... as upset as I am over yesterdays loss, there is plenty of blame to go around from the coaching, playcalling, to execution and the individual players who did not do their job..

I'm avoiding it until Friday.

Every caller will be like the GDT

McD is a MAJOR part of the problem in regards to coaching issues....no imagination, no adjustments .....same old McD

The 3rd down play would have ended the game if they threw a pass and scored. I'd trade that for 30 seconds of clock every time.

The reason Gronk slipped is because he's a TE, not a tackler. He sure looked like it too.
The reason Gronk slipped is he has very little agility at all right now, gimpy ankle and bad back....it’s like putting Buckner on first with the World Series on the line with two blown out knees....ASININE!!!!....Luckily, this wasn’t a SB or playoff game....but will still have implications and was one of the most embarrassing plays in history of game....

Brady Brainfart

Yeah, he did say that, and I was wondering the same thing. But this is what I think I saw when they did the recap in the pregame show leading up to SNF: Brady pops back up after the sack and looks bewildered that people are starting to walk off the field; he immediately looks up at the scoreboard (presumably), and that's when the realization hits.

Belichick is ultimately responsible. He could have called a timeout in the situation and gotten the right personnel in. However, the fact that Gronk was out there in the first place is on Flores.
Flores has been abysmal this year....horrible coaching and preparation.....one of if not THE worst defenses in the league!

51E04F58-E1B7-422C-970F-F315EB25FA82.jpeg
We did vs MN

I would disagree.
They actually ran all over us for 7.3ypc with 2 running backs.
We averaged 3.4ypc that game if you take away the 2 JE11 big play jet sweeps.
Michel 17-63-3,7
Burky 7-20-2.9
White 6-26-4.3

View attachment 21894

I would disagree.
They actually ran all over us for 7.3ypc with 2 running backs.
We averaged 3.4ypc that game if you take away the 2 JE11 big play jet sweeps.
Michel 17-63-3,7
Burky 7-20-2.9
White 6-26-4.3
Your statement was about the Pats run offense. Not their D. Not sure why you brought that up.

I do include it as it was part of the run offense. You still need to hand the ball off and block vs #2 run D.

That's football

This is a fan message board, not a Belichick knob rubbing site. Expecting fans to be silent after a loss like that one is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back