PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (PatsFans need Prozac Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ye Gods! In the wake of two consecutive defeats, the mood here at PatsFans.com is grim indeed. Some of the hyperbolic and inflamed rhetoric leads me to suspect that we have been invaded by escapees from an insane asylum, kind of like the village in the movie King of Hearts (1966). So it is with some trepidation that I continue my (admittedly inconsistent) efforts to share thoughts in matters of importance (large and small) around the NFL in this week's This and That.

1. Okay, okay. I get it. Jeez. Sergio IS the Anti-Christ, more reprehensible than Whitey Bulger, Father Porter and John Lackey combined. And the Sporting Press and denizens of PatsFans.com have been unrelenting in heaping criticism (remarkable in both volume and intensity) on The Worst Pass Defense in the History of the Universe. But I couldn't help but notice four turnovers, inconsistent OL play, penalties and the generally feeble attempts at kick returns (5 punts for - gulp - 17 yards and five kick-offs for 95 yards) on Sunday. So NE played poorly in all three phases of the game and lost a close game to a very good team. No need to jump off the Tobin Bridge. There's lots of room for improvement everywhere. And that's the good news.

2. In the Buffalo game (four turnovers), the Patriots easily score 50 and win going away if they take better care of the ball. Despite the other problems, the Giants game is in all likelihood a solid win without the four turnovers (again). Yes, the difference between 5-3 and 7-1 comes down in large part to turnovers. (Yikes - 7-1? Could this even be possible? Without Brandon Merriweather?) Have we forgotten that this team went 14-2 last year because they took care of the ball better than anyone in NFL history?

3. Where is the real Tom Brady? Decision-making and accuracy are not up to his (ridiculously high) standards. Tom can play better, and he knows it.

4. A lot of you probably don't realize it, but Mark Sanchez is right - the jets do clinch the AFC East with a win against NE Sunday night. This week, Commissioner Blockhead sent a secret letter to all 32 teams reminding them that the jets do in fact win the division title with a victory this week. Not only would the team get championship hats, tee shirts, a parade and trips to Disneyland and the White House, they are also awarded a bye for each of the next eight weeks and the right to select their Super Bowl opponent from any of the other 31 teams (Ed. Note - this was done to allow the Colts to officially remain in Super Bowl contention.) The commissioner, sporting a new paisley dunce cap, noted that the additional bye weeks will provide sufficient time for 14 year old jet QB (Marky) Mark Sanchez to do his homework, go to vampire movies with teenage girls and pal around with Justin Bieber.

5. Speaking of the Colts, what's happening in Indianapolis is nothing short of disgraceful. It's true that in recent years, the team has disrespected the fans and the game by only competing when they felt like it. So I guess it should come as no surprise that they have decided to take the entire 2011 season off. Up in the owners box, Irsay Jr. pounds out incomprehensible gin-soaked tweets, while Vice Chairman (yes, that's his title) NaPolian I plots his revenge against vile members of The Sporting Press who dropped the dime on his dim-witted progeny, general manager NaPolian II and his wildly successful efforts to take a wrecking ball to the entire franchise. Sounds more like something from HBO Entertainment than a football team.

6. Credit where credit is due department - On the other hand, the sorry Dolphins fight like hell and compete every week. They should be respected for that.

7. It's fun to watch Bronco head coach John Fox squirm on the Tim Tebow Hot Seat. Here's a quick summary for those of you who may not have been paying attention:

Plan A - Pretend Tebow is not on the team by ignoring him in the hopes that he will give up and just go away.

Plan B - Begrudgingly play Tebow, but saddle him with a game plan designed to put a large and very bright spotlight on his shortcomings as an NFL QB.

Plan C - Tailor game plan to Tebow strengths and watch him have fun running all over the place and scoring touchdowns.​

The problem for Fox, who clearly has no use whatsoever for Tebow, is that Plan C worked better than anticipated. Oops. This presents the future ex-Bronco coach with an interesting dilemma - use Tebow as directed, maybe win a game or three, thereby hanging the Gator Albatross around his own neck for the foreseeable future. Or bury Tebow with the conventional NFL game plan and tank the season the way Fox did in Carolina last year. Good luck with that one, John.

8. Watch the AFC West fall into a quagmire of Mediocrity/Parity. Should all four teams finish 8-8, Commissioner Blockhead will invoke a little known rule declaring the jets the winners of the AFC West if they haven't otherwise qualified for the play-offs..

9. Amazing but little known fact: the Patriots have not cornered the market on poor DB play. No, it's true! Exhibit A is the Steelers' Keystone Cops attempt to defend Joe Flacco's game winning TD pass Sunday night. Exhibit B is pretty much everything the Dream Team did to resuscitate the season of Jay Cutler Monday night. This included old friend Asante Samuel giving up the game winning TD. Why can't we get players like that? The Eagles had the kind of off-season that Patriots fans dream about. So falling out of playoff contention must be a bitter pill to swallow for Eagle fans. And even worse, the price tag on the ineptitude in Philadelphia is astronomical.

10. Meanwhile, out in Green Bay, Charles Woodson talks of a undefeated season just days after defensive players commiserated over yet another spotty performance. This is a very good but not great team. Can they win without Rodgers putting up 30? (Sound familiar?) Anyway, the networks and sponsors have to be drooling at the prospect of a Packer-Patriots Super Bowl, pitting superb QBs against (shall we say) porous defenses. The final GB-NE score would have a decidedly NBA feel to it.

11. Sorry, but I can't handle any more commercials with Clay Matthews acting like a steriod-crazed drunken gorilla. Put Matthews on the all-time overhyped team along with Jerkemy Shockey and Kordell Stewart. And no, you can't go back in time and draft him so, for God's sake, please don't start.

12. Memo to those those criticizing BB for letting his ego and arrogance cloud his judgment: stop talking unless you actually want to sound like that insufferable pipsqueak Masserweenie. (Or worse yet, that crank Shaugnessy who's been stealing paychecks from the Globe for decades by recycling the same mindless drivel over and over and over again). It's a charicature invented by lazy sportswriters with an ax to grind. And with all due respect, it's dumb. People can and do simply make mistakes - it's not necessarily a character flaw. The idea that the hypercompetitive Belichick would put anything ahead of winnnig just doesn't fit.

13. I know some of you think the season (not to mention the entire Belichick/ Brady era) is over, but my guess is that the team will show up for the game Sunday night anyway. Just a hunch. I think I'll turn on the TV to see if they're playing just to be sure.

Last edited:
AWESOME POST!!!

I have been quiet for a while now but you hit it on the head. I hope true Patriot fans read this post in full because there is a lot of truth in it. I must say again great post!!

Just to put a link between point #5 (the Colts) and #12 (BB).

2011 Colts without Manning = 0-8 and could be 1-15
2008 Pats without Brady = 11-6

Maybe this man does know how to build a team and game plan each week. NFL is a tough league to play and coach in and this is not an exact science. Sometimes things do not workout with players through the draft and FA but you have to admit we did get 11 wins without our HOF QB.

Just to put a link between point #5 (the Colts) and #12 (BB).

2011 Colts without Manning = 0-8 and could be 1-15
2008 Pats without Brady = 11-6

Maybe this man does know how to build a team and game plan each week. NFL is a tough league to play and coach in and this is not an exact science. Sometimes things do not workout with players through the draft and FA but you have to admit we did get 11 wins without our HOF QB.

WTF do you think the pats would without brady this year?

I'll give you one guess........and the hint is 'very similar to the colts'

I literally LOLed to the Irsay gin-soaked tweets remark. Well played sir.

That post sure sounded like a MB poster back on Woirld Crossing and the AFC Beast....

Great writer and Patriot fan...

Is that you JC ? ;)

WTF do you think the pats would without brady this year?

I'll give you one guess........and the hint is 'very similar to the colts'

So you think the Pats would be 0-8 without Brady this year. You should give Hoyer more credit:D:D Are you upset about Albert too because you should really watch some film on the guy who is constantly on the ground and pushes the pocket only when he is motivated sometimes. Other then that he plays selfish out of position and allowing big runs. LB were fitting in gaps where big Al's fat a** was in and should not have been in the LB'rs gap and it was evident at times during the Giants. Defense will improve by the end of the year but BB just had to get rid of some dead weight.

Last edited:
So you think the Pats would be 0-8 without Brady this year. You should give Hoyer more credit:D:D Are you upset about Albert too because you should really watch some film on the guy who is constantly on the ground and pushes the pocket when he is motivated. Other then that he plays selfish out of position and allowing big runs. LB were fitting in gaps where big Al's fat behind was in and should not have been and it was evident at times during the Giants. Defense will improve by the end of the year but BB just had to get rid of some dead weight.

not upset at all....just trying to figure out which game the pats would have won without brady

dolphins game? doubt it
charger game? nope
raiders game? maybe
jets game? nope
cowboys game? nope

without brady, the pats would be at best 2-6

Last edited:
AWESOME POST!!!

I have been quiet for a while now but you hit it on the head. I hope true Patriot fans read this post in full because there is a lot of truth in it. I must say again great post!!

This! But a TRUE fan shouldn't have to read it. They should already know. Look, I'm the first one to ***** and moan about a loss (forget about the game thread, I'm a mess). I pissed all over Brown after that PI call. He at least tried to make a play, with heart. I feel sorry for the guy now, after all the grief he's getting:( . But when it all comes down to it, I'm behind them 100%, good or bad! If TB or BB were gone tomarrow, thats when the real crying would start. F'n GO PATS:rocker:

not upset at all....just trying to figure out which game the pats would have won without brady

dolphins game? doubt it
charger game? nope
raiders game? maybe
jets game? nope
cowboys game? nope

Any chance you could let me know what the Virginia lottery numbers are going to be tonight?

Thanks in advance...

Any chance you could let me know what the Virginia lottery numbers are going to be tonight?

Thanks in advance...

LOL........nice deflection......

but hey.......maybe hoyer would have thrown for all those yards against the dolphins and chargers, too, but I doubt it.......doesn't take much of an imagination to see this one

I hope for a win always but not expecting it the way we play lately, but still will be fun game to watch. GO Tom!

Fantastic post Zeus, very well done.

You really need to do this more often.

Gold. Absolute gold.

The AFC is wide open. The Patriots lost their three games, each to a quality opponent, by a combined 15 points. For some perspective:

Bengals - 2 losses by 7 points total (3.5/game)
Ravens - 2 losses by 18 points total (9/game)
Patriots - 3 losses by 15 points total (5/game)
Bills - 3 losses by 22 points total (7.3/game)
Texans - 3 losses by 27 points total (9/game)
Jets - 3 losses by 36 points total (12/game)
Steelers - 3 losses by 38 points total (12.7/game)

The Pats need better execution to be sure, but the panic is way premature.

Last edited:

but hey.......maybe hoyer would have thrown for all those yards against the dolphins and chargers, too, but I doubt it.......doesn't take much of an imagination to see this one

Here is a hint for ya:D Maybe we would have run the ball more and not turned it over which would make this offense more effective. Brady has a great play action and we have all seen we can run the ball. Pittsburgh we ran the ball 11 times and threw it 35. Now I know we have a HOF QB but lets even it up some and not have the defense out for 40 min.

As pointed out by ZEUS Brady has to play better as I remember one play where even the announcers noticed that he tries to look off a LB/S and feed it into Gronk backside and he missed a wide open Welker?? Oh yea BB was as fault for that one. Better yet when Big Al was pancaked in the wrong gap on Jacobs run...that was BB fault as well. Well that is half right trying to give a guy a chance does not work out all the time aka Moss, Dillion ect...

Really 0-8 ..... COMMMON MAN!! we aint that bad:D:D:D

dolphins game? doubt it
charger game? nope
raiders game? maybe
jets game? nope
cowboys game? nope

We really need an unlike option.

Without brady the pats would be at best 8-0 and at worst 0-8 but most likely somewhere in between. You can't know, and neither can anybody else.

Or maybe they would have run more? My point is we have no idea what would have happened. Did anyone on here think Cassel was going to throw for over 400 yards mutliple times in 08'?

Did anyone on here think Cassel was going to throw for over 400 yards mutliple times in 08'?

That blows my mind now even more than it did then!

Fantastic post Zeus, very well done.

You really need to do this more often.

Iterate!

5 star job. Hilarious! Loved the quips.

POTY!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back