PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thirty Years

My daughter and I play Madden, she messes around with the uniform combos. The current helmet, old school reds, and navy paints combo is awesome, as is pat patriot helmet with the late 90s offset digit light blue jersey and pant combo. Would love late 90s as a throw back some time!

It was a welcome sight and a new beginning.

A rebirth.

The Pats were pitiful losers. Cursed. Every time they got good, something bad would happen. Like when the HC quit in the playoffs. When the Pats finally made it to the Super Bowl, they only had to face the best defense of all time. Buddy Ryan and the Bears GOAT defense. The Pats jumped out to a FG lead and the game was over. The Curse took over like always. It was the most lopsided Super Bowl score forever 46 - 10.

Parcells was a SOB but he knew how to win. He could draft and create enthusiasm. Without Parcells there is no Pats dynasty. The 2001 team had a foundation of players that he drafted. His Guys. Bruschi, Troy Brown and Adam V. Home town hall of famers. Those guys are on the Boston HOF wall.

You cant go back. Let the Red curse sleep.

They're posing for a photo in new uniforms and smiling. What else would you expect?

It’s ok to say the uniforms sucked, they made changes to the damn logo sleeve within two years and scrapped it all in 2000.

I got this t-shirt in 1993. As you can see I wore it a lot. Couldn't throw it away so it was "retired" with other items.

I lost my "Squish the Fish" and "Berry the Bears" t-shirts.

IMG_20230401_112552304.jpg

It’s ok to say the uniforms sucked, they made changes to the damn logo sleeve within two years and scrapped it all in 2000.

That's a non sequitur to what we were discussing. But as long you're going there: the main problem with the initial change was red numbers on blue jerseys being hard to read from the nosebleeds. Subsequent changes were because ownership changed and Kraft wanted to have his own identity while boosting pro shop profits.

That's a non sequitur to what we were discussing. But as long you're going there: the main problem with the initial change was red numbers on blue jerseys being hard to read from the nosebleeds. Subsequent changes were because ownership changed and Kraft wanted to have his own identity while boosting pro shop profits.
Hard to read period.

Gil Santos' play-by-play went like this:

"...and the tackle is made in there by, Chris Slade...no, um, that's Vincent Brown making the tackle...and, uh..."

non sequitur
e4d0f171861b5fea5abf23480566604d.gif

Unfortunately I remember this, damn I'm getting old..
Changing great looking, very long standing, fan loved, established uniforms in which a team had a lot of success and great players if not a world title, is such a loser, bush league move - which is made by most pro team owners. So: How did John Y. Brown, Jerruh et al. not destroy theirs?

When Pat Harlow is one of your featured players ... you've got some issues there
Guy walks up right there to Pat and asks, "So, what do you think of the new look?"

Harlow: "It sucks."

The guy walks away, upset.

Parcells comes over and asks, "What did you say to that guy?" Pat tells him, then asks, "Why?"

"He's the guy who designed them."

It was a welcome sight and a new beginning.
OK I'm not mentioning the Nazis.

...oooops. Sorry.
A rebirth.
A murder.
The Pats were pitiful losers.
I'm sorry, no.

Since Pat Patriot was put on the helmets, the Patriots won more games than they lost from 1961-1989. With the flying elvis from 1993-2000, the Patriots lost more games than they won (They've only lost maybe three games ever in throwbacks).

For five seasons - half the AFL's existence - the Boston Patriots finished within 1/2 game-1 1/2 games out of first place and an automatic place in the title game, which the East division winner won several times.

The longest losing streak in Patriots history is seven (7) seasons, one third as long as most other teams' stretches of utter futility.

In 1974, the Patriots started 6-1, atop the AFC. Excuses like the strike were (and still are) used to dismiss it. In 1976, the Patriots had the best team in football, won 11 games after losing 11 the previous year led by a young second year quarterback (sound familiar?) and nobody knew about it.

The Broncos started 6-1 in 1977 after doing nothing in their entire 17-year history and the national media totally lost their minds.

In any given decade, there were maybe three AFC teams better than the Patriots.

Despite being winless for 19 years at the Orange Bowl and 30 years at Mile High, the Patriots regularly beat the Dolphins and Broncos at home.

Tom Brady didn't struggle in Miami and Denver. The Patriots struggled.

From 1967-1991, the Red Sox had two (2) losing seasons. They as well cannot be accurately described as pitiful losers.
Cursed. Every time they got good, something bad would happen.
Local media portrayed every Patriots occurrence like a shameful criminal atrocity, instead of the colorful, entertaining and sometimes endearing anecdote it actually usually was.

National media understandably followed suit: "Well, if their own local papers say they suck, they must really suck!"

Every win was treated as a weird surprise, and every loss confirmation of the Patriots' eternal haplessness.

Even @Tunescribe must acknowledge that the Jets in fact have a history worthy of being labeled 'laughingstock', yet they've always been treated as kings by the media because they're in New York.

To be clear: It's true. Bad things would happen. As they did to the Red Sox. And Cubs. But Gino Cappelletti, John Hannah, Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Ernie Banks and Ron Santo are not buffoons, on or off the field. The fans wanted to see their team win - not made to look like a ridiculous expansion team.
Like when the HC quit in the playoffs.
Twice. Fairbanks & Parcells had problems with their respective owners. The timing was the worst: The playoffs get the most attention paid in the sport, and all people hear is bad, 'humiliating' things about the Patriots. And all the other teams who were not in the postseason? They're better?
When the Pats finally made it to the Super Bowl, they only had to face the best defense of all time. Buddy Ryan and the Bears GOAT defense. The Pats jumped out to a FG lead and the game was over. The Curse took over like always. It was the most lopsided Super Bowl score at that point 46 - 10.
The Patriots deserved to lose Super Bowl XX. The culture of them labeled 'Patsies' had been so ingrained that the team itself, along with everyone else, reacted with much surprise and zero determination to win. It's literally too painful to watch, but I'm confident Grogan, Hannah and Adams did not appear in that utterly embarrassing video they made after coming back from Miami.
You cant go back. Let the Red curse sleep.
Perception is reality: People have a mental impression of something, and it defines how they see that something, regardless of the truth.

Local media has slammed the Patriots, at least since the merger. The false narrative that the Patriots were doormats for decades prior to this century serves to falsely corroborate their false laughingstock narrative and fuel denigration of the team's success this century. False cheating allegations should be laughed at and mocked, instead of being taken seriously and leading to THREE stolen top draft picks and suspending one of the sport's greatest players on and off the field for the same number of games as a man who nearly murdered a woman.

There are at least two dozen NFL teams with an inferior history to the Patriots' from 1960-1992.

The late 70's Celtics went through a tumultuous time on court and within ownership very similar to the Patriots' in the early 90's. But they still had Red, their logo and uniforms.

By 1993 the Patriots had their identity destroyed by a carpetbagger who sought to move the team, and Flutie was in Canada.

Parcells was hired and drafted Bledsoe, and thanks to Orthwein there was zero connection with the team's history and connection to the community. "Yup, we sucked." "Yup, we wasted all those years watching and rooting for the Patriots."

We have to look up to Chicago of all places. "OK, we haven't won in forever but we love our Cubs!" That's attractive, happy, admirable - and commands respect.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back