Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!!
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2022 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Had some time to kill so figured I would throw some thoughts down over the last couple of weeks. Feel free to add yours.
Things I thought and now think
Things I thought and now think
- I thought they needed to find a way to finish drives and score TD’s after week 1. I still think this after week 2.
- I thought Trent Brown’s injury would be short term. I think after him practicing late in the week and his day to day listing this will be the case. It needs to be, because Herron and Durant have not been the answer thus far. I am not a believer in moving a player from another position, to cover/replace an injured player in the short term, especially on the O-Line. That is a lot of disruption and basically weakens you at two positions. But in the long term it would make sense. Fortunately it would appear Brown should be back this week.
- I thought Damian Harris was a beast, but wondered how he would bounce back from such a critical mistake. I think he responded very well. That 26 yard run was pure beast mode.
- I think Mac Jones does not care who he throws it to as long as the guy is open. I think I still think this, but…there were a few plays where I think he missed open receivers down field and checked down a bit to quick. This is based on the TV version, hopefully the all 22 will be back on NFL Gamepass and I can confirm.
- I think the receivers are better than many here give them credit for. I think I still think this, but they can only go as Mac goes. I think as time goes on and he gets more comfortable in the offense and in the league, it will become more evident. And for a guy with a near 74% completion rate that could be scary for some later on this season. (Not that I expect him to maintain that rate).
- I thought JC Jackson is proving he belongs in the CB1 conversation. I think he has done nothing to discredit that, although the Jets receivers aren’t exactly world beaters. He will get his chance to go a long way in proving it over the next two weeks.
- I thought our run defense would be better. I think we can still get better. Giving up 113 yards on the ground per game is not ideal. Its in the top half of the league, but not what we are looking for there.
- I thought our passing defense played well in week 1. I think they played better in Week 2. Only allowing 184.5 yards in the air per game is impressive. However the QB’s they were playing were not. And allowing under 185 yards per game passing allows you to have an average run defense and still be in a position to win and keep your points per game low. 2nd best in the league low as a matter of fact. But that will change a bit in the next two weeks. I don’t know what version of Winston will show up this week, but we know what version of Brady will show up in two weeks. They need to keep playing well on the back end and tighten things up on the front end.
- I thought, where the hell is Uche after week 1, going into the late 3rd quarter early 4th quarter I wasn’t sure if he had even played a snap. I think I was a little pre-mature in my criticism. I just had big expectations for him after the pre-season he had on the field combined with the jubilation of guys like Judon had for him in their pressers.
- I thought Wino is finally in the position he needs to be in, a pass rushing specialist. I think I still think this even if the sacks haven’t been there he has had several pressures. I think he makes a couple key plays late in games this season to help seal a victory or two.
- I thought holy hell there were a lot of flags after week 1 around the league. I think now holy hell even more flags. At first I thought it was my imagination as every year we seem to ***** about how many flags are thrown early in the season. Nope, not my imagination through the first two weeks in 2020: Accepted Penalties league wide: 379, Accepted Penalties Per Game: 11.85, Total Penalties league wide: 431, Total Penalties per play: 0.084
- First two weeks in 2021: Accepted Penalties league wide: 421, Accepted Penalties Per Game: 13.58, Total Penalties league wide: 492, Total Penalties per play: 0.103
- We still have a game to play in week two. So there will almost assuredly be over 500 penalties called through the first two weeks this season. That is insane.
- I thought Kyler Murray is really fun to watch. I think I still think he is really fun to watch, but I am glad he is not our QB. Some of his plays are down right amazing, but he may be a bigger gambler than Favre was. He throws off his back foot, one foot leaning forward, leaping in the air, his arm strength is through the roof.
- I thought the Bengals have a good roster and are a good football team. I think I still think this, but I know they are not good enough to overcome three picks in a row. Burrows cannot cost his team three straight possessions and expect to win. They did push, so had that in my favor.
- I thought if I were a Jets fan seeing Darnold play well in Carolina should have been expected. I still think this, but how gut wrenching must it be to be a lifelong Jets fan. Even Fireman Ed had to take a breather. (I know the story just making a joke.)
- I thought Carr had a good week 1, wondered if he can play that well consistently? I think he might, but still wonder if he can play this well consistently. He leads the league in Yards and is the only one over 800…and 700.
- I thought, man those Hochuli’s sure do like to hear themselves talk. I think I don’t.
- I thought the Cleveland punter just dropping the ball was a brain fart. I think that dumb ass for the Rams having a snap for a punt go off his hip is the third dumbest punt play I have seen behind the Colts fake and sadly Chung’s audible to a fake in the 2010 Divisional round against the Jets. But taking one off the hip is impressive.
- I thought the Chiefs are very lucky to not be 0-1. I think the Chiefs are very lucky not to be 0-2.
- I thought Miami is not a good football team, and we gave one away with costly penalties, fumbles and the inability to finish drives because of said costly penalties and fumbles. I think the Bills confirmed this.
- I thought the Eagles would suck this year. I think maybe I under estimated Hurts.