PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TheRinger: Ranking the 16 Most Important People in the Patriots’ Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mo Lewis LOL

Its a good list. I think Troy Brown should be higher than Adam V. Troy was the Patriots for 14 years. He was Jules on Offense and Revis on D. They mention him being a nickel corner like he was covering some 4th wideout . ********! The guy went out and shut down Donald Driver who was the leading NFC receiver that year. Driver had 1 catch/3 yards.

Punt returns, fumble recoveries, you can go on an on.

The guarantees in the extension financially tied Bledsoe to the Pats for at least the next four seasons. With that sort of commitment in place, the team had no intention of giving key reps to its sixth-round pick from the 2000 draft. With 5:03 remaining in the fourth quarter at Foxboro Stadium, Lewis changed all that. Bledsoe walked away from his thunderous collision with Lewis with a concussion and internal bleeding that sent the quarterback to the bench ahead of New England’s Week 3 clash with Peyton Manning’s Colts. The Patriots thrashed Indianapolis 44-13 and, well … we know the rest.

Why do we assume that's true? If Bledsoe kept at it, he was going to get benched eventually.

Where's Ernie Adams on the list?
Ernie Adams isn't real

giphy.gif

Why do we assume that's true? If Bledsoe kept at it, he was going to get benched eventually.
We have all heard many times how the Patriots, Belichick and Brady were all just 'lucky', with the dynasty and their careers owed entirely to Bledsoe's injury. That's just a lazy narrative that has been repeated so often that is accepted as truth. The reality is that Belichick was going to make the change at some point during the 2001 season, or certainly to start 2002.

If the Pats were indeed so committed to Bledsoe, then how does one explain why Brady kept his job as starter after Bledsoe was healthy enough to play again? If the finances meant they had to keep him for years, then how does one explain trading him following the '01 season? If Brady had shown nothing (which anybody at training camp in '01 would refute), then why did BB keep four quarterbacks on the roster in 2000?

Playing along with the hypothetical, does it really make any sense that the 2003 and 2004 Patriots would not have been as good as they were if Drew Bledsoe does not get injured? That makes no sense to me.

The Mo Lewis stuff is cute "Bill Simmonsy" kinda crap. I say boot him off the list in favor of one of the many future Patriots HOF players who aren't on this list.

Doesn't even have Superbowl MVP Deion Branch, Wes Welker or many other defensive stalwarts on the list (Vince????).

The Mo Lewis stuff is cute "Bill Simmonsy" kinda crap. I say boot him off the list in favor of one of the many future Patriots HOF players who aren't on this list.

Doesn't even have Superbowl MVP Deion Branch, Wes Welker or many other defensive stalwarts on the list (Vince????).
Lol I love Simmons but he does some whacky stuff, anyone else listen to his top 25 Patriots BB-Brady games yesterday? Ranked the 09 opener OVER the 24-0 Denver game (how isn't this the best regular season game? I don't think it's debatable this is #1 without question) and ranked 04 AFFCG #15 and 03 AFFCG like #5 or so...absurd. Fully expected it to end with SB 51 like #10 and last year's Brown's game #1.

By "dynasty" I assume they mean this run of success and not really a "dynasty".

Dynasties have to include championships almost every year. To me if the Pats win it all again this year that's 3 in 4 years and a dynasty on its own just like 01-04 was. And probably a more legit one since 02 was a lost season. But 01-17 altogether isn't a dynasty.

A list like that is tough to make since we are talking two different dynasties and more than one era of the BB/Brady run of success. AV is critical to the 01-04 run but then why wouldn't Gostkowski be on this list too?

Last edited:
Anyone else feel Moss isn't worthy? There's too many guys that won titles here and were here a long time and Moss was only here for 3 years. I'd list Rodney, Deion, Givens, Vince, Vrabel and Wes (also didn't win a title but gave us six years) over him.

Last edited:
Lol I love Simmons but he does some whacky stuff, anyone else listen to his top 25 Patriots BB-Brady games yesterday? Ranked the 09 opener OVER the 24-0 Denver game (how isn't this the best regular season game? I don't think it's debatable this is #1 without question) and ranked 04 AFFCG #15 and 03 AFFCG like #5 or so...absurd. Fully expected it to end with SB 51 like #10 and last year's Brown's game #1.
I listened to that on the train this AM. Loved the hell out of it. Again, a little heavy on the BS aspect since it was basically Dave Roberts as #25 or whatever - that's a good one to call an honorable mention.

I cracked up when they had Superbowl 39 as like the 18th best win or whatever. Enjoyed hearing the retelling of Troy Brown and Willie Mac winning games. Felt that familiar tinge of angst in recalling the 06/07 AFFCC against Indy. Still can't believe the Snow Game happened or that Vinatieri did half the **** he did.

What a great franchise.

Mo Lewis LOL

Its a good list. I think Troy Brown should be higher than Adam V. Troy was the Patriots for 14 years. He was Jules on Offense and Revis on D. They mention him being a nickel corner like he was covering some 4th wideout . ********! The guy went out and shut down Donald Driver who was the leading NFC receiver that year. Driver had 1 catch/3 yards.

Punt returns, fumble recoveries, you can go on an on.

There's a possibility that I just have a bad memory but I only recall Troy playing on defense in 2004 and I don't think the Pats even played the Packers then.

I listened to that on the train this AM. Loved the hell out of it. Again, a little heavy on the BS aspect since it was basically Dave Roberts as #25 or whatever - that's a good one to call an honorable mention.

I cracked up when they had Superbowl 39 as like the 18th best win or whatever. Enjoyed hearing the retelling of Troy Brown and Willie Mac winning games. Felt that familiar tinge of angst in recalling the 06/07 AFFCC against Indy. Still can't believe the Snow Game happened or that Vinatieri did half the **** he did.

What a great franchise.
I had forgotten the Colts were the favorite in 2004 playoffs, how did that happen? We had beaten them 3 times over the past year, were at home and the defending champs.

There's a possibility that I just have a bad memory but I only recall Troy playing on defense in 2004 and I don't think the Pats even played the Packers then.

Patriots' Troy Brown announces retirement

Then in 2006, Brown was needed again when the Pats had to face Brett Favre and Packers with defensive backs Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson and Rodney Harrison all hurt. Belichick’s solution? Put Brown one-on-one on Donald Driver, the leading receiver in the NFC at the time. The result? Driver managed one catch for 3 yards.

Anyone else feel Moss isn't worthy? There's too many guys that won titles here and were here a long time and Moss was only here for 3 years. I'd list Rodney, Deion, Givens, Vrabel and Wes (also didn't win a title but gave us six years) over him.
I agree that it's debatable, but Moss was so incredibly dominant in 07 - hard to want to discount one of the most outstanding athletic performances of the decade (in any sport). Plus he went on to catch 152 more balls for 2,272 yards and 24 TD's in 08/09

For example, this player over the last two seasons:

197 catches for 2,817 and 23 TD. Better than 08/09 Moss, but in that ballpark.

These stats are Odell Beckham.

Agree. The list was meant to be controversial and was very superficial, as most lists are. Basically, the list included:

- non-defensive coaches (assuming Belichick knows nothing about offense and special teams, and that his defensive coordinators are just taking orders from Belichick)
- owner
- mo lewis
- passing game skill position players including kickers
- linebackers

Frankly I'm shocked they included the linebackers, given the overall superficial treatment. But a list of 15 most influential Patriots during this dynasty that doesn't include Richard Seymour? Come on.

Let's do this better. Let's change the rules slightly: still a list of 15, but it excludes all non-player personnel, all non-Patriot players, and excludes Brady so we can get 15 other players recognized. Here's a stab, with an emphasis on long-term players versus short-term bursts:

1: Gronk. Despite all his injuries, he still ranks up with Mark Bavaro as among the most complete TEs in the NFL ever. It says something about the talent on the 2016 team that they won without him.

2: Seymour. Inexcusable to not have him on the initial list. Took years to fully rebuild the defensive line once he was traded.

3: Bruschi. If Belichick calls him the perfect player, how can he be much lower on the list?

4. Troy Brown. For the reasons Bruins29 articulates.

5. Vinitieri. I hate having a kicker so high, but this guy earned it with his clutch postseason performances.

6. Ty Law. Article captured him well although he should have been ranked much higher.

7. Wilfork. He was Ted Washington but for 8 seasons (2005-2012), excluding 2004 when he was still learning and his competitive but not star quality years after the tendon tear. He's the reason the line didn't completely fall apart after the Seymour trade, and was the key cog that dragged the 2011 defense to the Super Bowl.

8. Matt Light. Article praised Scar, which is fine, but Light was the consistent star at the left tackle position on 5 Super Bowl teams, playing through Crohn's disease on top of that. Completely and consistently shut down Dwight Freeney of the team's main rivals. I think it's insulting to give all the credit to Scar while ignoring the actual production of the players.

9. Rodney Harrison. Somehow the article ignored him, and I do understand all of his injuries, but he was another clutch machine from 2003-2008. It's too bad he was the victim of the Tyree catch because he did everything right on that play except actually knock it out of his hands, and as mentioned he was completely clutch in every other moment.

10. Jules. I think they got this ranking about right, but they also forgot about his Troy Brown-lite performance as a DB in 2011. Clutch.

11. Dont'a. Pleasantly surprised to see that he got the love in this article.

12. Kevin Faulk. Completely unsung and underappreciated, and therefore it makes sense they forgot about him too. Another 5-time Super Bowl player. Who was the key cog in the Snow Bowl? Who caught the last pass to set up the field goal versus the Rams? Who consistently kept Brady upright and allowed them to play shotgun so much even before 2007 (I'm thinking of the Vikings 2006 game)? He deserves some love.

13. Willie McGinest. Article was spot on here.

14. Mike Vrabel. Another "Mr. Clutch". Lots of discussions about him recently in light of Ninko's retirement, but let's just say that for as much as I liked Nink, Vrabel was the clearly superior player - more versatile (Nink at ILB?), more clutch.

15. Wes Welker. Yes, I put him above Moss. He was here twice as long, and frankly defined a position in the NFL (obviously it existed, but his work made it an essential role instead of a niche role). Obviously the drop in 46 is a huge blackmark, but I think the drop against the Ravens in the 2012 AFC title game is blown out of proportion based on what happened afterwards and by people ready to turn on him. He very likely was Super Bowl 42 MVP if the Tyree/Plaxico situations don't happen.

[Edit - forgot list was actually 16!] 16. McCourty. Unsung hero of the secondary who kept that unit together during 3 Super Bowls, and allowed it to thrive once real CB talent showed up. Happy he was included in the original list.

Honorable mentions that I hate leaving out: Moss, Nink, Logan Mankins (his performance in 42 and 46 kicked him out of the list, even though I know he was playing on a torn ACL in 46), Deion Branch.

Other honorable mentions: Pat Chung, Matthew Slater, Larry Izzo (for a coach that preaches complete football, we need Slater and Izzo in there), Asante Samuel, Lawyer Milloy, Ted Washington, Corey Dillon (for the latter 3, their impact was short-lived, but at their best, what an impact), David Givens and Danny Amendola (for their post-season performances).

Last edited:
Vince Wilfork should be in the top 6 on this list.

By "dynasty" I assume they mean this run of success and not really a "dynasty".

Dynasties have to include championships almost every year. To me if the Pats win it all again this year that's 3 in 4 years and a dynasty on its own just like 01-04 was. And probably a more legit one since 02 was a lost season. But 01-17 altogether isn't a dynasty.

A list like that is tough to make since we are talking two different dynasties and more than one era of the BB/Brady run of success. AV is critical to the 01-04 run but then why wouldn't Gostkowski be on this list too?

I get your stance, and partially agree. I just think the everlasting presence of Brady and Belichick will stop anyone from dividing the entire era into 2 dynasties.

I like to think of the Patriots as Jack Nicklaus. He won 18 majors. Incredible. He was also runner up (including ties) 19 times and was top 3 in majors 46 times! That kind of sustained excellence deserves recognition, even if the big trophy wasn't awarded for a particular period. Just like the Patriots, even in their down years, never blow up and rebuild - they just win the AFC East and find their way to the AFC Championship pretty much every year.

I define dynasty as an era of successive/linked championships and therefore I view NE as a team defined by two championship dynasties, 2001-2004 and 2014-?.

No one doubts Gronk's talent and influence on NE's offense...but in terms of importance to dynasty, he has been sidelined for too many meaningful playoff games to elevate him so high. One "earned" ring does not make my dynasty players' list.
I don't doubt, with a healthy Gronk , NE would possess more rings....but...I can't elevate based on hypotheticals.

Seymour not only should be on the list but I would position him on equal terms as Brown. As a rookie, once Seymour was finally installed as an every down starter, the Patriots defense transformed into the beast that carried those early dynasty teams. Seymour's skill set allowed BB defenses to morph down by down, game by game. IMO, Big Sey was the straw that stirred the drink. He was that good. He was that important. And his presence allowed LBs to shine.

Including Moss? Are we measuring dynasty pieces or stats. If finishing in 2nd place earns team the dynasty label, then are we saying Buffalo was a dynasty? Sorry Randy.....you weren't a foundation piece...just a great star that didn't shine long in NE.

McCourty? If McCourty qualifies, then why not Matt Light. On my list, Light would beat out McCourty by multiple positions. Both very solid players...but LT carries more cred in my book and Light was a plug and play 3 time champion foundation piece who gets taken for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back