PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The year of the Double Dip

I agree! For every one Mitchell there are a hundred or so bethel Johnson’s!

This year, it would be nice to see bb break his pattern of drafting when it comes to wide receivers and go for a guy with super production in college over a guy with super physical characteristics.

So while a guy like Paris Campbell has super speed, he disappears for quarters at a time in games and runs I limited route tree.

A guy like Harry is not a burner, but he has a ton of yards and catches against double teams almost every game. He runs the whole route tree, plus carries the rock on occasions. He knows how to get open and should be able to learn option routes!

Interesting to note that Branch had back to back 1000 yard seasons in college. He's the only receiver we've drafted to hit that mark each year, although most of the receivers had solid career numbers in aggregate. But you may be on to something that players who can produce at a high level in college are more likely to continue to produce in the pros.

Deion Branch College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

upload_2019-3-24_19-35-51.png

Harry hits that mark. He might not be the fastest, but 4.53 is still better than Deandre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, JuJu Smith-Schuster, etc. His jumps were great and he tied Metcalf on the bench. He's got body control and YAC ability. I could probably be convinced at 32, but definitely at 56.

upload_2019-3-24_19-36-27.png

I may dig into the rest of the prospects to see if they hit those thresholds. AJ Brown also looks pretty good. He's another guy I'd strongly consider if he made it to 32.

upload_2019-3-24_19-40-32.png

Isabella looking good.

upload_2019-3-24_19-42-12.png

Jennings just falls short, but he missed a couple games this year and shared targets with Sills, who had something like 35 TDs in the past two years. 13 TDs in 11 games for Jennings while sharing in that offense is really solid.

upload_2019-3-24_19-43-8.png

My sleeper pick for a slot receiver extraordinaire, KeeSean Johnson, also hits that benchmark.

upload_2019-3-24_19-44-50.png

Brown is tiny but talented. Great numbers, great tape, but injury concerns.

upload_2019-3-24_19-46-12.png

Stanley Morgan Jr missed out by 14 yards, but his QBs were HORRENDOUS.

upload_2019-3-24_19-47-54.png

Kelvin Harmon isn't very fast, but GREAT body control and solid production.

upload_2019-3-24_19-48-23.png

I think Anthony Johnson is the last guy who fulfills that arbitrary requirement. Short list.

upload_2019-3-24_19-51-13.png

EDIT: @sircole What can you tell me about Hart? You've been championing him all year if I recall. He had a couple great seasons, then really fell off, but he could conditionally belong on this list since he has two 1000+ yard receiving years, but his senior year looks a bit grim.

Cody Thompson is the only other guy who is in the ballpark. After 825 and 1,269 yards his SO and JR year, his next two years (redshirt) were only 537 and 647. Mitigating factors? I know Caserio personally led his work out, so presumably he's getting a close look.

Last edited:
first 7 picks have to involve TE, TE, WR, DT, DE, OL, S

I would still like defense to dominate:
DT, TE, BPA, WR, WR, BPA, BPA

Penny is a great player that was dealt a bad hand this year with our team.

The majority of his lower production stems from the inaccuracy of our first year QB Dan Ellington, who is a dual-threat passer with a run-first mentality. Also our ex-off. coordinator wanted to put an emphasis on the running game to compliment Dan and called more running plays instead of passing.

The team was in dysfunction behind the scene with many of the recruits from the old coaching staff leaving, including Penny declaring early, and a heavy turnover on current coach Shawn Elliot's staff.

first 7 picks have to involve TE, TE, WR, DT, DE, OL, S
McDaniels was mostly a 1 TE coach. The double receiving TE thing started with O'Brian and was only because Hernandez was unique. Gronk and Bennett even were on the field together less than we expected. McDaniels is a versatile OC and generally plays 1 TE. We need a talented TE but no need to go nuts and draft two unless it's a BPA thing. Given how many WR we usually have on the field compared to TE we need WR more. We can draft a blocking TE later, or sign one cheap.

Last edited:
McDaniels was mostly a 1 TE coach. The double receiving TE thing started with O'Brian and was only because Hernandez was unique. Gronk and Bennett even were on the field together less than we expected. McDaniels is a versatile OC and generally plays 1 TE. We need a talented TE but no need to go nuts and draft two unless it's a BPA thing. Given how many WR we usually have on the field compared to TE we need WR more. We can draft a blocking TE later, or sign one cheap.

either way we need to add 3 receivers until the season starts. FA, trade or draft. FA I would consider unlikely at this point to find a significant contributor, so I would expect a trade for a WR plus draft 2 receivers. Be it 1 WR and 1 TE or 2 TEs, not sure.

What is Hockenson's likely range in the first round, and what will it now take - especially based on previous trade-ups during previous first rounds - to assure his selection?

I like the flexibility the Patriots have and the way the boards are stacking up. With pick 32 they can take a quality DT who has fallen, maybe make a move for Rosen or trade back a few picks for additional capital.

In rounds 2-3 they have a lot of options at WR and some hope for an adequate TE. After that it is competition and depth.

Overview of positional group strength:
2019 NFL Draft: Ranking position groups, strongest to weakest

What is Hockenson's likely range in the first round, and what will it now take - especially based on previous trade-ups during previous first rounds - to assure his selection?

He’s mocked as high as 7th on some sites. I don’t often see him outside the top 20.

double dip DL and either WR or TE.

However I don't think the double dip is going to happen with 2 high draft picks inside the top 101.

Unless someone falls down boards.

I hope for something like this,
32: DT
56: WR
64: TE
73: S
97: OT
101: DE
134: WR

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back