PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Worst Patriot Draft Picks EVAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eugene Chung was pretty bad. .

I don't know how a player with an 11 year career, and who is still starting, can be the worst pick ever.

Then you must think Jet Sweep Harry sucks too?

If you are going to try thinking for me could you at least consider thinking like me?

To me the comparison you're making just isn't there. From where I sit Harry's 2019 injury is the equivalent of a red shirt year. Let's at least give Harry the benefit of a Dobson/Jackson trial before we proceed with the hanging. Granted, BB's track record drafting WR's doesn't exactly fill any fan with a lot of hope for the outcome but still...

Jordan Richards. Went at least 3 rounds too high. Why Belichick felt he needed to get him there we‘ll never know.

Last edited:
If you are going to try thinking for me could you at least consider thinking like me?

To me the comparison you're making just isn't there. From where I sit Harry's 2019 injury is the equivalent of a red shirt year. Let's at least give Harry the benefit of a Dobson/Jackson trial before we proceed with the hanging. Granted, BB's track record drafting WR's doesn't exactly fill any fan with a lot of hope for the outcome but still...
Harry played enough games (7) to show something more than taking jet sweeps. Not even averaging 10 yards a catch is pretty alarming. He better be prepared for it, because he’s going to get a lot of attention next year.

Harry played enough games (7) to show something more than taking jet sweeps. Not even averaging 10 yards a catch is pretty alarming. He better be prepared for it, because he’s going to get a lot of attention next year.
But we have to ask the question - how much of Harry's low stats are due to Brady freezing him out? The kid made some nice catches in traffic this season. That was supposed to be his strength. Brady's accuracy was questionable for most of the year.

Ger Schwedes
Football "Phil" Olsen
Kenneth Sims
Hart Lee Dykes
chris Canty
Andy Katsenmoyer

My bad on Andy.
Replace with the execrable Chad Jackson
How could I have forgotten Chad as I started a thread here ages ago on how bad this bust was in training camp. Brady visibly hated the guy.

Jordan Richards. Went at least 3 rounds too high. Why Belichick felt he needed to get him there we‘lol never know.
What I heard was that BB thought he was so intelligent, it would be like having a coach on the field. Unforntunately, he had the physical ability of Charlie Weiss. Watching that draft, I remember analysts saying that they had him going as undrafted. Sometimes Bill is smarter than the rest. Sometimes he just believes he is, with this result.

For Belichick? Jordan Richards. Pretty easily too, since most people looked that the pick and were stunned by how stupid it was.

We had a few first round busts but at the time they looked like reasonably good picks.

He just signed a one year extension with the Ravens, which almost everyone here would agree is a far superior squad to the Patriots. So he'll be playing in his sixth season in the NFL. Not terrible for a 3rd round pick. He was probably poorly coached here by the same coaching staff that cost Tom Brady 4 or 5 more superbowl titles.

How could I have forgotten Chad as I started a thread here ages ago on how bad this bust was in training camp. Brady visibly hated the guy.
Yeah, the rumors during that year was that he was extremely immature. But I'm not sure when the rumor came out that Brady was visibly pissed at him during training camp.

I'll throw Laurence Maroney in there. Complete disappointment considering how teams were so focused on their passing game. Maroney should've been running wild against those defenses. I've never seen a RB with such atrocious vision, continually passing up on bouncing it to the outside but running into piles instead. He was dancing pile magnet.

Want to know why D'Angelo Williams hates the Pats so much? It's because he was angry Maroney was chosen first over him. It's funny how Williams won't address Maroney by name. Greg Jennings admitted the same thing minus hating the Pats. He also got Jackosn's name wrong.

Had the Pats chosen one of them, they win in either 2006, 2007 or possibly both.

Easley , Canty , Eugene Chung comes to mind

Last edited:
It'd be inadmissible evidence as it's hearsay, but Michael Lombardi in one of his podcasts said that Belichick called Ron Brace his worst draft miss.

But we have to ask the question - how much of Harry's low stats are due to Brady freezing him out? The kid made some nice catches in traffic this season. That was supposed to be his strength. Brady's accuracy was questionable for most of the year.
We'll find out if/when there's a season. I think many QB's would've had a tough time with accuracy as you have to throw perfect passes to guys who graded out as getting the worst separation on DB's.

Chad Jackson also was derailed, IIRC, by an ACL tear and other knee issues, playing on special teams, that he never recovered from. Granted, he didn't show much even before that, but injuries were a factor in the magnitude of disappointment felt by Pats fans for that pick.

Ger Schwedes
Football "Phil" Olsen
Kenneth Sims
Hart Lee Dykes
chris Canty
Andy Katsenmoyer

I can come up with reasons why some of these don't belong on this list, but you nailed it with Chris Canty. The first tackle i ever saw him make resulted in a fumble and he was so intent on celebrating his "big" hit, the other team was able to recover the ball (and get a first down if I remember right) while he was dancing. That was THE highlight of his Patriots career. I hate to rag on players but he was just bad. He epitomizes the Bobby Grier era (or error)

Harry certainly did not look great but missing half the year in a complicated offense did not do him any favors. He only had 24 targets and scored 3 TD's out his 12 catchs (I am giving him the TD he scored against KC that does not show in the record books) He clearly has good athleticism. Does he translate that into becoming a good WR? This year will show a lot.

My worst pick was Kenneth Sims. I remember at the time how excited everyone was about having a superstar defensive lineman. He was not a complete bust but for being the first pick in the draft he was nothing special.

For Belichick? Jordan Richards. Pretty easily too, since most people looked that the pick and were stunned by how stupid it was.

We had a few first round busts but at the time they looked like reasonably good picks.

Jordan Richards made Michael Jordan want to change his last name...but do you think that guy is worse than Terrence Wheatley, Tavon Wilson, or Glass-I Dowling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down