Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Tebow
Jacoby Brisset
Matt Cassel
Jimmy Garropolo
Tom Brady

Only ones from my era as a football fan

I was introduced to the Pats and football in general when Bledsoe was drafted. It goes to show how crazy it is that from that time we've only had 2 quarterbacks start for at least the equivalent of a full season (Bledsoe and Brady).

*I know, I know, Cassel was real close with 15 starts.

The tread should focus on starters otherwise there are a dozen obscure QBs who never started a Pats game
Yeah, because then we go off and mention Kliff Kingsbury, Kevin O'Connell, Mallett, etc.

Oh man, I didn't realize what a dinasaur of a thread this was. :eek:

Jeff Carlson
Tom Owen
Neil Graf
Hugh Millen
Scott Zolak
Don Trull
Tom Sherman
Tom Yewcic
Eddie Wilson
Marc Wilson

No particular order. Don't think Rohan ever started a game.

Yewcic was the team's punter/3rd string QB. Give him a break. He did a decent job for the team during his tenure.

Michael Bishop

Grogan came in and rescued the season while Eason was sitting out with cramps.
And then Raymond Berry, the dumbest man to ever get an NFL coaching gig (and that's saying something) put Eason back in for the playoffs.

Tony Eason by far. I can still see him curling up in the fetal position as the pocket collapsed.
Huh?
Tony Eason's career W-L as a Pats starter was 28--21 (0.571) with a QBR of 81.

Here are the career Pats' W-L records and Pats' QBR's of well-known Pats QB's not named Brady:
Grogan: 75--60 (W/L 0.556, QBR 70)
Bledsoe: 63--60 (0.512, 76)
Flutie: 8--5 (0.615, 61)
Plunkett: 23--28 (0.451, 60)

So, nobody's putting Tony in Canton or even in the HOF at Patriots Place, but the worst? "by far?"
Nope.

Eason took them to their first SB, where the team, with Grogan starting, was run over by a Freight Train called Da Bears. But he won three playoff games before that game with QBR's of 132, 104 and 131.

His lifetime Playoff Record was 3--2 (including the SB loss in which he only threw six passes) with a QBR of 115.6.

In other words, he won as many playoff games as Matt Ryan.

In fact, the only Pats QB's to win more playoff games are Bledsoe with four and Tom Brady with a hundred or so (OK, 25).
Grogan was 0--4 in the Playoffs.

Huh?
Tony Eason's career W-L as a Pats starter was 28--21 (0.571) with a QBR of 81.

Here are the career Pats' W-L records and Pats' QBR's of well-known Pats QB's not named Brady:
Grogan: 75--60 (W/L 0.556, QBR 70)
Bledsoe: 63--60 (0.512, 76)
Flutie: 8--5 (0.615, 61)
Plunkett: 23--28 (0.451, 60)

So, nobody's putting Tony in Canton or even in the HOF at Patriots Place, but the worst? "by far?"
Nope.

Eason took them to their first SB, where the team, with Grogan starting, was run over by a Freight Train called Da Bears. But he won three playoff games before that game with QBR's of 132, 104 and 131.

His lifetime Playoff Record was 3--2 (including the SB loss in which he only threw six passes) with a QBR of 115.6.

In other words, he won as many playoff games as Matt Ryan.

In fact, the only Pats QB's to win more playoff games are Bledsoe with four and Tom Brady with a hundred or so (OK, 25).
Grogan was 0--4 in the Playoffs.
He didn't take them to the SB. He started that year, went 2-3, got benched, Grogan came in, won 5 straight, broke his leg, Eason came back in and went 3-3 down the stretch. The stupidest thing Ray Berry ever did was refuse to put Grogan back in during the playoffs when he was healthy again.

But no, Eason did not /lead/ them to anything. Christ, his starting left tackle openly said he wore a dress.

It wasn't just because of the '85 Bears. He was over-rated from the beginning, and never panned out. There is a reason he only played four years for us, with ony spot appearances after that.

There were a lot of good QBs in that draft. We got the runt of the litter.
Tony did his best.

The major problem is: He was CONTINUALLY started in must win games over healthy and available clearly superior quarterbacks who were not only demonstrably better, but in two cases ('85 w/Grogan and '88 w/Flutie) were the single reason the team was competing for a title in the first place, and those opportunities were thrown away by Berry who obviously adored him.

At least Bledsoe didn't have somebody better than him sitting on the bench.

Oddly enough, the trade for Joe Kapp and the press conference which followed is my earliest Patriots memory. Being 10, I was convinced the Pats were destined to win it all.

Even more oddly, my second earliest Patriots memory is when we drafted Jim Plunkett #1 the very next year. Being 11, I was again convinced the Patriots would win it all :) I wish I could have maintained that etenal optimism to this day.

But my actual nomination for worst Pats QB is Rich Gannon. He was so bad they traded him without even giving him a chance at QB!
Kapp was really special, until the season he came here (his last). The team was pretty bad.

Plunkett played his ass off here and got hurt - bad.

Gannon proved he was very good - just not here.

My Five:

Tom Dimitroff
Tom Flick
Tom Ramsey
Tom Owen
Tom Hodson

honorable mention: Tom Brady [What? Okay, but his first name is right up there!]

Joe Kapp was soooo awful!
How bad was he?
th

th
He was so bad, that
th
th

Scott Secules
Mike Taliaferro
Joe Kapp
Hugh Millen
Marc WIlson
As one who starteda lot Taliaferro HAD to be the worst...he did have horrible lines, but he started a lot and was pitiful..I was at a game at Harvard
as they played the Colts..he was decimated and down on the ground injured...and the crows cheered..THAt was totally embarrassing..and they wanted Kapp, but he wasn't ready..Kapp a flash in the pan and gone..POOR!!!
Eason was a good QB but lacked guts..and I wish he those of SteveG..he might have made it..and he's syill gutless refusing to come here for the 20 year anniversary...STILL gutless..but a bad QB?? The Patriots had so so many more...Tom Sherman---Kim Hammond---Neil Graff---Mike Kerrigan
don't forget King Corcoran
th

Yewcic was the team's punter/3rd string QB. Give him a break. He did a decent job for the team during his tenure.
I only referenced him as a QB. He did serve the team well as a punter, but I believe he actually started games. Didn't mean to disrespect him as a Patriot.

He didn't take them to the SB. He started that year, went 2-3, got benched, Grogan came in, won 5 straight, broke his leg, Eason came back in and went 3-3 down the stretch. The stupidest thing Ray Berry ever did was refuse to put Grogan back in during the playoffs when he was healthy again.

But no, Eason did not /lead/ them to anything. Christ, his starting left tackle openly said he wore a dress.
In 1985-86, Eason started and won three Playoff Games that "took the Pats" to the SB. He threw five TD's and no picks in those games, which the Pats won by a cumulative score of 84--48; his QB rating was well over 115.

Berry put Grogan in to start the SB (in which I fully understand the Pats were over-matched by a team on a mission). He threw for 177 yards and two picks, not winning this or any of the four Playoff Games that he started. As I recall, Eason was sent in to finish the game when it was out of hand.

The only other QB in Pats history to start and win three playoff games in one season is "you know who."

Unless the lineman who made that comment had the last name of Hannah, I really don't give a flying **** what he thought.

As I said, I'm not putting tony Eason into Canton or even Patriot Place.

But "the worst?" "by far?" No way if you look at what he actually did.

Guys earn the right to Respect when they play for our team, put up a winning record and do respectably in the playoffs.

I'm giving Respect to Tony Eason. I suspect the guys in the Pats locker room today, who know how hard it is to win in the post-season, would do so as well.

was that before or after he quarterbacked the team to the Super Bowl?

i dunno, dont think Marc Wilson could have done that

Both. And you forgot "while".

Let's not go overboard on the "Eason quarterbacking the team to the Super Bowl" meme. He played ok. He had a ton of help by his running game, defense and especially turnovers. I think the Pats forced 15 in those 3 games. That's nuts.

Edit: how did this get bumped?!?

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes