PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The worst 5 qb in NE Patriots history ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst 5 QBs in Pats history? That's like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

And if Joe Kapp is not in your top 5, you had the good fortune of not seeing one of the worst perfoming QBs in NFL history as was the Kapp era for the Pats.

Joe Kapp was one tough hombre. He was as physical a QB as you could get, and he could probably hit like a linebacker. Unfortunately, he also threw the football like one too. Even though I respected him when he played for the Vikings, he truly was putrid the short time he spent with the Patriots.

Joe Kapp was one tough hombre. He was as physical a QB as you could get, and he could probably hit like a linebacker. Unfortunately, he also threw the football like one too. Even though I respected him when he played for the Vikings, he truly was putrid the short time he spent with the Patriots.
Chiefs kind of knocked him into retirement in Super Bowl IV

Chiefs kind of knocked him into retirement in Super Bowl IV
You are absolutely correct!! KC had a big, hard hitting defense back then, and they did knock the crap out of him that game. I totally forgot about that...

You are absolutely correct!! KC had a big, hard hitting defense back then, and they did knock the crap out of him that game. I totally forgot about that...
Soon after arriving in New Orleans, the Vikings' wives saw the Chiefs getting off the bus on the way to their hotel. "We couldn't believe how big those guys were. We were all worried after that."

OK. I checked that and verified it.
So, yeah, I have to respect whatever Hannah said, but it still doesn't make Tony Eason "the worst" Pats QB "by far."
Also, Hannah was probably the most competitive guy to play for the Pats until Brady came along. I'm sure he meant it, but I'm also sure he said it in the heat of the moment.

Don't take everything Hannah says as gospel.

Several years ago I was at a dinner and talk at Gillette where Hannah was the speaker (one of those Visa points things). While the evening overall was really interesting, Hannah was surprisingly (to me anyways) dismissive of Belichick and Brady. Didn't think Belichick was all that and felt that Brady wouldn't have been all that special back in his (Hannah's) day.

I'm guessing 7 pages in someone mentioned Michael Bishop.

He didn't take them to the SB. He started that year, went 2-3, got benched, Grogan came in, won 5 straight, broke his leg, Eason came back in and went 3-3 down the stretch. The stupidest thing Ray Berry ever did was refuse to put Grogan back in during the playoffs when he was healthy again.

But no, Eason did not /lead/ them to anything. Christ, his starting left tackle openly said he wore a dress.
You can disagree all you want. Everyone who was actually a fan of that team knew which one of them had heart and which one of them was a poser.

Several years ago I was at a dinner and talk at Gillette where Hannah was the speaker (one of those Visa points things). While the evening overall was really interesting, Hannah was surprisingly (to me anyways) dismissive of Belichick and Brady. Didn't think Belichick was all that and felt that Brady wouldn't have been all that special back in his (Hannah's) day.

That's very interesting, even if I am sad to hear it. Sometimes it's better not to know too much about the people we idolize for their performance on the field or in the media.

John Hannah would probably be on anybody's list of The 25 Greatest NFL Players Never to Win a Super Bowl. If I'm not mistaken, 1985, the year the Pats finally made it to their first Super Bowl, was his last season. Maybe he was frustrated that they didn't have more talent at QB and on the sidelines when he was playing. Maybe that frustration carried over to his views of Brady and Belichick.

Sounds to me like overcompensation for the anointing of them as deities...but more, I think about ignorant dismissal of past generations of Patriots.

Kraft simply has it backwards. Rather than compartmentalizing our heritage and history into an obscure museum at Patriot Place, he should hold the team's traditions out there, front and center, to show that the Patriots are, in fact, on top, and not just some teched-up remake. This would require that he undergo an ego reduction.

That's very interesting, even if I am sad to hear it. Sometimes it's better not to know too much about the people we idolize for their performance on the field or in the media.

John Hannah would probably be on anybody's list of The 25 Greatest NFL Players Never to Win a Super Bowl. If I'm not mistaken, 1985, the year the Pats finally made it to their first Super Bowl, was his last season. Maybe he was frustrated that they didn't have more talent at QB and on the sidelines when he was playing. Maybe that frustration carried over to his views of Brady and Belichick.
John belongs in the top 25 period. You can always take anything he says with a grain of salt, but if you're really interested, you need to look at what he says within its context. Tony Eason was tough to a degree; Ron Meyer did bring at least a little to the table, etc.

Tom-Hodson.jpg
Tom-Hodson.jpg
Mike_Taliaferro.jpg
Tom-Hodson.jpg
Tom-Hodson.jpg

John belongs in the top 25 period. You can always take anything he says with a grain of salt, but if you're really interested, you need to look at what he says within its context. Tony Eason was tough to a degree; Ron Meyer did bring at least a little to the table, etc.
Got me thinking, at the risk of highjacking the thread (but this can just be between the two of us ;)), who are the 25 best players never to win a Super Bowl? Here's one guy's list of 29 (Hannah is on it at #11). It doesn't include guys who played before the SB era, so don't look for Jim Brown and guys like that. Randy Moss and Junior Seau are both on it. I don't know who put it together and I don't agree with all the choices (not sure about Ladanian Tomlinson, for example).

29 greatest NFL players to never win a Super Bowl

Got me thinking, at the risk of highjacking the thread (but this can just be between the two of us ;)), who are the 25 best players never to win a Super Bowl? Here's one guy's list of 29 (Hannah is on it at #11). It doesn't include guys who played before the SB era, so don't look for Jim Brown and guys like that. Randy Moss and Junior Seau are both on it. I don't know who put it together and I don't agree with all the choices (not sure about Ladanian Tomlinson, for example).

29 greatest NFL players to never win a Super Bowl
I think it's a pretty good list. You could easily add 15 equally/more worthy players to it. Predictably, lots of Bills & Vikes on it. Would have been nice if refs had called holding on the Tyree catch, then Randy & Junior (& Wes) would not be on it.

I never thought that Matt Cavanaugh was all that great either. He was a second rounder if I remember right and was going to replace Grogan. The 1981 season he was pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back