PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Wildcat is coming!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The dreaded Dolphins Wilcat is coming :scared: Should we be afraid? They did surprise the Patriots the first time they used it but the second time the Patriots did not have that much problem with it.

Most of us know that the Wildcat is just a Single Wing formation. With Ronnie and Rickey the Fins have 2 main ingredients for running the Wildcat- excellent RB's.

Here is an article that explains the Single Wing.

Single Wing Playbooks - Single Wing Offense - Single Wing Formation

They show some the various basic plays that can be run from the formation such as "blocking back keeper"

blocking-back-keeper.jpg

The off tackle play.
singlewing-off-tackle.jpg

Certainly Henning has developed more diverse and complicated plays with the Fins.

BB always says "do YOUR job". With the Wildcat its important that players stick to their assignments and not go for all the fakes and misdirection.

I don't think the Wildcat is very scary at all.

Re: The Wildcat is cominng!!!!

I can't wait for this game.. looks for new wrinkles. I think Pat White will become a factor.

The Jets thought it was coming last week and the Dolphins ran it five times. Of the five, about four were stupidily executed.

I think Pat White will become a factor.

Against the size and speed of our front seven, I highly doubt it. It would bewilder me to see Sparano take perfectly good Wildcat plays out of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams' hands just to put Pat White in.

Against the size and speed of our front seven, I highly doubt it. It would bewilder me to see Sparano take perfectly good Wildcat plays out of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams' hands just to put Pat White in.

The element of surprise?:)

I have a feeling the Wildcat is going to have its Kitty Punched this week.

If we still can't deal with Miami's now infamous wildcat then it's going to be a long, long haul.

The Dolphins definitely deserve a good old fashion beatdown.... I feel the Patriots will be set to deliver aforementioned thrashfest Sunday in Foxboro!
Tame the Wildcat! :cool:

Last edited:

The element of surprise?:)

Perhaps have White in the shotgun with Brown to his left and Henne split out wide to the right, hand off to Brown who hands it to Henne coming from right to left, Henne stops and goes for the deep throw to Ginn?

That would be the only way I can see it. Letting Pat White throw the ball is a very bad idea at this point and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire when he HAS gotten chances to run the ball out of the Wildcat.

I can't wait for this game.. looks for new wrinkles. I think Pat White will become a factor.

Pat White was a monumental waste of a draft choice. We should've taken Clint Sintim in that spot. I can't stand it when we trot out White. Why go after an unpolished, run-first quarterback? When has that ever worked for anyone? Especially with Chad Henne sitting on the roster?

And then to tell me we took him to run the Wildcat? Ugh.

Certainly Henning has developed more diverse and complicated plays with the Fins.

BB always says "do YOUR job". With the Wildcat its important that players stick to their assignments and not go for all the fakes and misdirection.

I don't think the Wildcat is very scary at all.

I think I'm with you on this. I mean, I readily admit I have essentially no ability to anticipate plays when they are being set up. During or after (especially after :D), I'm usually fine, but before...not so much. That said, it seems even I know when the wildkitty is coming:

Oh, look, they're setting up for the wildkitty...time for a bathroom break...fix a snack...paint my nails...whatever...maybe they'll be ready to actually run it by the time I get back. :D

Why is this formation much of a problem for any opposition after 1.5 seasons in? Am I missing something? Is it harder to defend than it looks? Or have I suddenly become a defensive football genius? :eek: Should I start sending out my CV for coaching positions? ;) Somebody tell me, please!

Disclaimer: Of course, I make exception for the Pats in that first game last year because they had it sprung on them and nobody likes those kind of surprises, but you know...

Last edited:
If we still can't deal with Miami's now infamous wildcat then it's going to be a long, long haul.

BB will do what the Saints figured out in the 2 half , we shut down the wildcat for 15 plays and 29 yards, the jets copied it and they only got 6 yards against them, I think, either way wildcat is dead. Just copy it and your defense will be playing a rookie QB. Rush the CB's and a LB in the center its dead.

Last edited:
BB will do what the Saints figured out in the 2 half , we shut down the wildcat for 15 plays and 29 yards, the jets copied it and they only got 6 yards against them, I think, either way wildcat is dead. Just copy it and your defense will be playing a rookie QB.

How many times did we hear it was dead last year? Especially after the playoff defeat to Baltimore? After that, everyone was saying how Rex Ryan will shut it down in that Monday Night game. Not so much.

We're still doing the same stuff we did last year, we just have a better offensive line, a completely healthy Ronnie Brown and a fresh and non-rusted Ricky Williams.

How many times did we hear it was dead last year? Especially after the playoff defeat to Baltimore? After that, everyone was saying how Rex Ryan will shut it down in that Monday Night game. Not so much.

We're still doing the same stuff we did last year, we just have a better offensive line, a completely healthy Ronnie Brown and a fresh and non-rusted Ricky Williams.

Some people just think that, because we did it last year and the Saints and Jets have been able to do it this year, that means that we're going to do it with ease. These same people forget our troubles with stopping the run this year. Supposedly, BB said that the team practices against it every single week of the year, even if they aren't playing the Dolphins. One couldn't really tell when the Broncos busted it out to begin the game a few weeks back. Moreno was breaking off some pretty nice gains.

I, for one, am still pretty nervous about the Wildcat/Brown/Williams.

how many yards did the wildcat do against the jets? and they copied us.

Last edited:
Some people just think that, because we did it last year and the Saints and Jets have been able to do it this year, that means that we're going to do it with ease. These same people forget our troubles with stopping the run this year. Supposedly, BB said that the team practices against it every single week of the year, even if they aren't playing the Dolphins. One couldn't really tell when the Broncos busted it out to begin the game a few weeks back. Moreno was breaking off some pretty nice gains.

I, for one, am still pretty nervous about the Wildcat/Brown/Williams.

In the red zone 5-10 yards its a great play, and thats what is should be, not an entire offense, but when defenses are free to play it, I would rather an inexperienced RB was throwing the ball than a good QB any day, blitz the ends.

Last edited:

Pat White was a monumental waste of a draft choice. We should've taken Clint Sintim in that spot. I can't stand it when we trot out White. Why go after an unpolished, run-first quarterback? When has that ever worked for anyone? Especially with Chad Henne sitting on the roster?

And then to tell me we took him to run the Wildcat? Ugh.

So says the Screamo and Samson Satele fan. White is going to be lethal out of this set.

In the red zone 5-10 yards its a great play, and thats what is should be, not an entire offense, but when defenses are free to play it, I would rather an inexperienced RB was throwing the ball than a good QB any day, blitz the ends.

Well, that's the trick. The quarterback can always get the ball back. I've seen them do that many a time. So they already have an extra blocker in there and, on top of that, the defense can't stack the box to stop the run because they also have to respect the possibility that they can pass. The Dolphins now have a quarterback with a big arm to go along with a deep threat which is what makes the Wildcat so tricky to defend against.

how many yards did the wildcat do against the jets? and they copied us.

Actually, the Jets defended the roaring kitty essentially the inverse of how NE defended it. Search Wildcat on these forums, much work has been done on the set.

I respect the Wildcat. It seems like old timey smash mouth football to me. And Brown and Williams are excellent backs.

That being said, I look for the Pats to vigorously stroke the cat this weekend until it's sweaty and swollen and then expect the Fins to submisively roll over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back