The Solidest Defense In Many Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

I do NOT think that it is too early to look to the roster on defense. The offense is another story entirely.

DEFENSE (24-25, including STers)

DE (5) - Ninkovich, Sheard, Long, Flowers, Grissom
DT (5) - Brown, Branch, Knighton, Valentine, (Kuhn) (we might keep only four)
LB (4-5) - Collins, Hightower, McClellan, Freeney/Johnson/Humber, KGH
CB (5) - Butler, Jones, Ryan, Coleman, Roberts/Biggers/Jones
S (5) - McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards, King

PUP (or another list) - Ebner
PS - LB Roberts

THE LAST THREE ROSTER SPOTS ON DEFENSE - BATTLES AND ISSUES

1) Kuhn will make the 53 if Valentine isn't ready for prime time. Given the likely PUP's and possible suspension on offense, the 25th defensive roster spot is likely to be available to start the season.

2) I give KGH the edge at LB, because of his special team play. Clearly he could be beaten out by one of the others. Freeney, Humber and Rufus Johnson seem to be competing for the 5th LB spot. Johnson would also make it with an injury at DE.

3) Butler and Ryan played well last year, as did Coleman in the slot. We've added Jones. Roberts may be the 1st to come back from a rookie season on IR, or not. UDFA Jones and Biggers are there competing for his roster spot.

I still have to be sure that Sheard, Long and Flowers are going to produce some pressure, in the way that Jones. Plus, we don't really have a penetretor-type DT anymore.

I'm curious to see if Ryan can keep his level of play. He has some consistency problems, but at his best, he is a damn good CB 2.

All in all, i guess I prefer last year's defense, post Hicks acquisition ( and without seeing this one in action), but it is close

I see no reason why this D won't be very solid but the past two years that had been the case too so I take exception to the use of in many years.

I still have to be sure that Sheard, Long and Flowers are going to produce some pressure, in the way that Jones. Plus, we don't really have a penetretor-type DT anymore.

I'm curious to see if Ryan can keep his level of play. He has some consistency problems, but at his best, he is a damn good CB 2.

All in all, i guess I prefer last year's defense, post Hicks acquisition ( and without seeing this one in action), but it is close

You mention the loss of Hicks, but not the addition of Knighton. Personally, I think that we are solid at DT. Brown is capable of an inside pass rush. Grissom also provided a bit last year in that role.

With regard to pass-rush, we are looking to Sheard, Long, Collins and Hightower. We have also added McClellan who some believe will also contribute. That's a lot to work with, even if all of them don't have great years. It certainly is noteworthy that the four first mentioned are ALL in their contract years.

Solid seems like the right term. Probably not going to be dominant with the lack of elite pass rushing talent, but very good depth at all three levels.

Solid seems like the right term. Probably not going to be dominant with the lack of elite pass rushing talent, but very good depth at all three levels.
They got plenty of pass rush don't sleep on Long he is going to awesome here. And Sheard already showed he is ready for a bigger role. Hightower and Collins will destroy the A gaps again.

Sheesh ... I just hope this thread is not a jonah like an ESPN cover ...

Good thread though ... I CANNOT WAIT.

They got plenty of pass rush don't sleep on Long he is going to awesome here. And Sheard already showed he is ready for a bigger role. Hightower and Collins will destroy the A gaps again.

Yes, but most would not classify Sheard or Long as "elite pass rushing talent." As for Hightower and Collins, they do a good job on the A gaps, but rushing them means they can't be in coverage.

I do NOT think that it is too early to look to the roster on defense. The offense is another story entirely.

DEFENSE (24-25, including STers)

DE (5) - Ninkovich, Sheard, Long, Flowers, Grissom
DT (5) - Brown, Branch, Knighton, Valentine, (Kuhn) (we might keep only four)
LB (4-5) - Collins, Hightower, McClellan, Freeney/Johnson/Humber, KGH
CB (5) - Butler, Jones, Ryan, Coleman, Roberts/Biggers/Jones
S (5) - McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards, King

PUP (or another list) - Ebner
PS - LB Roberts

THE LAST THREE ROSTER SPOTS ON DEFENSE - BATTLES AND ISSUES

1) Kuhn will make the 53 if Valentine isn't ready for prime time. Given the likely PUP's and possible suspension on offense, the 25th defensive roster spot is likely to be available to start the season.

2) I give KGH the edge at LB, because of his special team play. Clearly he could be beaten out by one of the others. Freeney, Humber and Rufus Johnson seem to be competing for the 5th LB spot. Johnson would also make it with an injury at DE.

3) Butler and Ryan played well last year, as did Coleman in the slot. We've added Jones. Roberts may be the 1st to come back from a rookie season on IR, or not. UDFA Jones and Biggers are there competing for his roster spot.
Rufus Johnson is not a lb. kgh may make the team but not if he has to be the 4th lb.
Ben Watson was the first to come back after a rookie year on ir

I think the Patriots need a lot of guys to step up and be more consistent for the defense to be solid.

Rufus Johnson is not a lb. kgh may make the team but not if he has to be the 4th lb.
Ben Watson was the first to come back after a rookie year on ir

Ben Watson was injured week 1.......he did have a complete preseason, which is important to note....he still put in a ton of time that year

I think the Patriots need a lot of guys to step up and be more consistent for the defense to be solid.
You act like it hasn't already been solid.

Each year is a new year. Guys improve, they get worse, and they get hurt. I take nothing for granted anymore.
but a solid defense is returning virtually every key player. It's not like starting from scratch. I think the players in this defense have proven a lot.

Sheared will be playing more snaps. Ryan needs to be able to play the double move better, the whole DL needs to be more consistent vs the run. The number 3 corner is??? Who is the 3rd lb?

Lots to prove

I think you are being a little too glass-1/2 empty here.

Sheard was very consistent last year. We do not know for a fact if he will be playing more or not.

Saying Ryan (and Malcolm too) need to be more consistent in covering double-moves is reasonable.

Having more consistent play from the 3rd DB and 3rd LB is also reasonable.

The run D did not play well when High went out. Other than that the run D was fine.

but a solid defense is returning virtually every key player. It's not like starting from scratch. I think the players in this defense have proven a lot.

Hicks and Jones are no longer there, they were key players in the defense that need to be replaced. We will have to wait and see if there are guys on the roster who can fill those roles. Knighton could be one of the guys, but he wasn't resigned in Washington for a reason and Hicks really got good penetration.

Sheared was dynamic, but he also got pushed around in the running game.

I think you are being a little too glass-1/2 empty here.

Sheard was very consistent last year. We do not know for a fact if he will be playing more or not.

Saying Ryan (and Malcolm too) need to be more consistent in covering double-moves is reasonable.

Having more consistent play from the 3rd DB and 3rd LB is also reasonable.

The run D did not play well when High went out. Other than that the run D was fine.

Right, the DL was getting pushed around. Sheared played well in spots, but he also got pushed around in the running game (though he could shoot gaps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down