PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The reason sports media has declined (mainly BSPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Things changed about 10-15 years ago when the media shifted away from showing sports to the hardcores and catered to the social sports fan. The popular shows would breakdown the game on a technical level, the commentators would focus on the game (hell John Madden was lambasted for over simplifying the game). Then what happened is that more pop-culture sport writers like Bill Simmons and Rick O'Reilly became popular and these stupid execs just tried to copy that. The hot takes like PTI, First take took over. ALl of the shows now are outlandish takes and arguments. Now the hardcores can't stand BSPN, the social fan jumps around and they wonder why they are declining. They lost their way

Old School "fun" Sports media died with the Sports Huddle...show was a cavalcade of cheerleading for the local teams, ragging on the Yankees and Lakers, fart jokes, and chinese food talk....:D

now it's all about being a hotsportztaker....

This could have went in the ESPN thread. But I agree. It's one of several reasons for the decline.

With the advent of social media, the need to get sports information from a show has declined.

Old School "fun" Sports media died with the Sports Huddle...show was a cavalcade of cheerleading for the local teams, ragging on the Yankees and Lakers, fart jokes, and chinese food talk....:D

now it's all about being a hotsportztaker....

"266-6868 you're next on HDH", is forever engrained in my memory.

How many remember The Fabulous Sports babe?

With the advent of social media, the need to get sports information from a show has declined.
That's a big piece of it. Most people get instant updates. There are several more sports outlets with competitive programs such as Fox NBC and CBS Sports along with NFL Network and local outlets. It's personality driven and ESPN has some strange programming that is very repetitive .
There are also Tennis, Golf, Racing, Soccer and other sports.
Over exposure

There's a lot of things. How bout the fact all of these leagues have their own network. Then you have the main networks which have their own sports networks. There's so much now plus the other things you guys mentioned

There is no excuse for a piece of rat scum like Felcher to ever be talking about NE or us fans.I PRAY for a Louisville Slugger to find its' mark on his sub-moronic,jackazz grinning ****face. He is the worst POS in Boston sports radio history....a smug,arrogant Midwestern turd filled with nothing but jealous hatred of us and our passion for our team.

Felcher and his scummy ilk are the prime reason our once vibrant local sports media has STB. Remove these cancerous self-absorbed jerkoffs from local media and we COULD actually experience a local sports media renaissance around here.
Don't hold your breath,though...

Speaking for myself and my sports news consumption...it's all about the internet.
I don't need to turn on Sports Center and wait an hour hoping at some point they'll give me 30 seconds of Pats/Saux/etc. These days, I can find what I need in one click with more content / better content. ESPN is a dinosaur in that respect and their internet content is too general to totally satisfy viewers with a specific interest. The alternatives are simply better....without the fluff. Go PatsFans.com....Pats fans best choice .
And the filler programs ESPN offers are mind-numbing in content and delivered by either arrogant blowhards or dimwitted showpieces. Maybe if these two combinations had sex on screen together instead of at the Bristol Ramada Inn, the ratings would come back.

Speaking for myself and my sports news consumption...it's all about the internet.
I don't need to turn on Sports Center and wait an hour hoping at some point they'll give me 30 seconds of Pats/Saux/etc. These days, I can find what I need in one click with more content / better content. ESPN is a dinosaur in that respect and their internet content is too general to totally satisfy viewers with a specific interest. The alternatives are simply better....without the fluff. Go PatsFans.com....Pats fans best choice .
And the filler programs ESPN offers are mind-numbing in content and delivered by either arrogant blowhards or dimwitted showpieces. Maybe if these two combinations had sex on screen together instead of at the Bristol Ramada Inn, the ratings would come back.

That exactly what I do. I haven't watched a sports news broadcast in years.

30 years ago i flipped between Bob Lobel, Mike Lynch and John Dennis. "Sports Spotlight" was the best segment.

Honestly it's twitter.

I like to think defamegate helped.

If BSPN were smart, they would have taken all of their money and started to rebrand what they do; make original programming that goes in depth, explores interesting sides of sports, or maybe make a point to do some of the harder hitting journalism. But they turned into "one of many", failed to understand that they had turned themselves into a commodity, and hoped the brand recognition would carry the day.

Pretty expensive miscalculation...

I didn't listen to WHDH's or WBZ's call in shows cuz I grew up in CT and listened to WTIC's 50,000 Watt Clear Channel Signal and "SportsTalk'' With Arnold Dean. Cue the "Whalers" theme music, please!

Things changed about 10-15 years ago when the media shifted away from showing sports to the hardcores and catered to the social sports fan. The popular shows would breakdown the game on a technical level, the commentators would focus on the game (hell John Madden was lambasted for over simplifying the game). Then what happened is that more pop-culture sport writers like Bill Simmons and Rick O'Reilly became popular and these stupid execs just tried to copy that. The hot takes like PTI, First take took over. ALl of the shows now are outlandish takes and arguments. Now the hardcores can't stand BSPN, the social fan jumps around and they wonder why they are declining. They lost their way
I've said it several time here: You can find a lot of great content for free and without commercials (or with easy to skip commercials) via podcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back