PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Perfect Fit - 4 Teams Desperate For A QB and 4 Top Picks In The Draft

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
JAX, NYJ, CAR and NE are desperate for quarterbacks. Of course, there are another 5 or so interested in a first round quarterback.

Perhaps we should consider the Draftek Scenario. Picks 3 and 4 are for Fields and Lance.

I suppose that MIA might refuse to play and keep their pick for the OT, but a 2022 first from CAR will be tempting. But if not, CIN should be willing and the fourth QB will drop to 5th.

And yes, if the patriots don't jump up for Lance or Fields, it seems that someone else is likely to do so.
==========
Of course, if four quarterbacks are chosen in the top 5, it would seem likely that the rest of the teams interested in a quarterback will need to decide their strategies for securing their choice of the next four quarterbacks.

Supply and demand are key to this draft.

outside of Lawrence, every other qb has enough warts to make their selection a bit of a gamble.

Wilson is the safest, if you put him in a wide zone scheme.

fields, Jones and mills are all one read qb’s who are very slow to get through their read progressions

lance has never faced a quality college team. Boom or bust for him.

Teams that force fill their qb need will probably regret it.

outside of Lawrence, every other qb has enough warts to make their selection a bit of a gamble.

fields, Jones and mills are all one read qb’s who are very slow to get through their read progressions

Teams that ignore their QB need will regret it.
Your evaluations leave a lot to be desired btw
JAX, NYJ, CAR and NE are desperate for quarterbacks. Of course, there are another 5 or so interested in a first round quarterback.

Perhaps we should consider the Draftek Scenario. Picks 3 and 4 are for Fields and Lance.

I suppose that MIA might refuse to play and keep their pick for the OT, but a 2022 first from CAR will be tempting. But if not, CIN should be willing and the fourth QB will drop to 5th.

And yes, if the patriots don't jump up for Lance or Fields, it seems that someone else is likely to do so.
==========
Of course, if four quarterbacks are chosen in the top 5, it would seem likely that the rest of the teams interested in a quarterback will need to decide their strategies for securing their choice of the next four quarterbacks.
The jets traded up for Darnold 3 years ago and have been making excuses for him ever since.
Someone on NFLN said yesterday the nets believe if Darnold was in this draft he would go #2
I think the jet qb talk was when they were expected to get the 1st pick and couldn’t pass up Lawrence.
Miami and Atlanta have much bigger needs and very good players to pick in those slots.
qbs in the first 4 picks seems like a very very long shot.

There are 2 blue chip QB’s, 2 others that are more risky, and 1 that’s not risky but with a lower ceiling. There are also a half dozen premier can’t-miss position players, maybe a few more. These teams like Miami, Atlanta etc that aren’t really desperate for a QB are gonna have a hard time overlooking these other blue chippers in order to take a risk on a QB.

Why don't people ever bring up quality of competition for Wilson?

Also I heard someone else bring up the wide zone / Wilson thing on Twitter but would love to hear your thoughts, any original thoughts.

I hear you say wide zone but think you mean PA. Usually QB's are working the MOF or have to be very comfortable working that area. Not saying Wilson can't but he struggled targeting that area.

Give me some real analysis OJ

Imagine Bill goes no fs given and somehow moves up to the 1st pick to draft Lawrence.

Imagine Bill goes no fs given and somehow moves up to the 1st pick to draft Lawrence.
I would not be surprised if Bill and Urban had exploratory discussions.

Even if Urban wanted to do it I gotta think Kahn would nix the deal.

There are several interesting QBs. The only one even close to approaching "sure thing" is Lawrence, and he could easily be a bust - just like so so many before him... QBs in the draft are like children : you have them, you nurture them, you do your best to put them in a position to succeed. But, ultimately, it's a guessing game. Good parents sometimes have bad kids and bad parents sometimes have good kids.

I am guessing BB doesn't go QB in the first round.

Last edited:
At this point I'm less concerned about the Pats' QB fortunes, and much more concerned about some of you guys having a heart attack if they don't trade up for one of these four/five.

53374x.gif

At this point I'm less concerned about the Pats' QB fortunes, and much more concerned about some of you guys having a heart attack if they don't trade up for one of these four/five.
I’m a little worried about my health if he doesn’t.

Wonder if BB would pick more than one QB? :whistle:

The trouble the Jags would have is moving so far down I think. If we’re potentially out of the QB game there then so are they. Of course, three No 1s plus (what it would take) would be a nice compensation for potentially punting on a QB for a year.

Looking at the contracts given out this free agency I don't think BB is going to give away everything to draft a QB this year. He didn't hand out a bunch of 1 year deals, he handed our real contracts. He has next year to do it too. Cam is hot garbage so I'm sure he has many ideas on how to upgrade, but to move up into the top 5 and gamble with one of these young QBs is very risky. Next year Arod may be available, Russ, Jimmy...All of these options would be better. We'll see what happens but I don't even think Lawrence is guaranteed and I personally think he'll bust. As aggressive as BB has been this offseason I don't see him making a ridiculous move unless he loves someone like the Chiefs loved Mahomes. Hopefully not like the Bears loved Mich! He may go CB at #15 unless a QB drops outside the top 10 and people's heads will explode.

I'm ready for anything except a defensive back. If we go safety or CB at 15 or better I may actually shove myself in the dryer and turn it on

The trouble the Jags would have is moving so far down I think. If we’re potentially out of the QB game there then so are they. Of course, three No 1s plus (what it would take) would be a nice compensation for potentially punting on a QB for a year.
Exactly.

Does he go the Jimmy Johnson route and get his franchise QB year 1 and go 1-15 that year or trade the #1 for a cornucopia of picks and build around him year 1.

Both strategies/team building philosophies are reasonable.

Personally I think GM2 is a functional QB and surrounded by the right talent can win a few games.

Clearly Lawrence is an elite talent that does not come around that often.

I'm ready for anything except a defensive back. If we go safety or CB at 15 or better I may actually shove myself in the dryer and turn it on
Gilmore, JC, and McCourty are all up for new contracts/retirement next year. I honestly would be 100% fine with a talented youngster being added with a year of seasoning learning from those guys. The only secondary position that would make me throw things at the TV is SS or big nickel LB as they already have 3 of those.

Would not be shocked at CB. I think we move up to target a QB but if we can't I believe Tackle and CB are in play at 15. I agree with you on Safety though.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back