PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats need to make cap space

None of those guys played for the Pats, who's playbook is written in Hieroglyphics.
I wonder if Pats have to change the playbook this year significantly since Mcdaniels is coaching for an AFC rival and knows the Pats playbook inside and out.

Last edited:
I wonder of Pats have to change the playbook this year significantly since McDanoiels is coaching for an AFC rival and knows the Pats playbook inside and out.
I tweeted Bill Callahan this question, and he responded that it's no big deal and not to change any of the calls/plays.

A player is free not to take his salary as a bonus, and to thus risk not getting the money if he is injured. I don't recall a play refusing, but he certainly is allowed to do so.
Not saying this is the case here because I don't know the contract particulars, but most NFL contracts have clauses that allow teams to unilaterally convert salary to bonuses... Player still gets paid, though. Team just gets to spread the cap hit out...

Not saying this is the case here because I don't know the contract particulars, but most NFL contracts have clauses that allow teams to unilaterally convert salary to bonuses... Player still gets paid, though. Team just gets to spread the cap hit out...
The Patriots are one of, if not the only team that doesn't have that automatic language in their contracts.

The Patriots are one of, if not the only team that doesn't have that automatic language in their contracts.
Interesting. I had never heard that before. Is there a way to confirm this? Seems incredibly short sighted on the part of the front office

The Patriots are scheduled to have the 5th most cap space in the league in 2023 with more players under contract than any of the four teams ahead of them... and oh yeah, their most expensive position at QB is locked into a rookie contract for the next four years. Salary cap isn't a problem if they want to open some up.

They're "developing" this team, which is an interesting term not every sports fan understands or accepts. Some teams just lump a bunch of free agents together and assume it's a "team." Very often that's not the case. If buying up all the most expensive free agents worked consistently Dan Snyder in Washington and Jerry Jones in Dallas would be rolling around in a room full of championship rings like Scrooge McDuck... it doesn't work like that.

Win or lose this year the Patriots young players should improve mightily, get a lot of experience. Next offseason this team will know who their building block players are going forward. Their QB will be much further along in his development as well. They'll know who among the 2021 free agents they went wild spending on, which ones are meant to be kept and which are meant to be moved on from.

At which point in 2023 with the salary cap expected to rise a ridiculous amount with a new TV and gambling deal the Patriots will be sitting at the top of the salary cap hill looking down at the field of free agents and will be able to take their pick. They'll be wealthy with a solid base to build upon. They should be a competitive this year, they could surprise in the playoffs if the young player's develop quickly and contribute... but next season they will be the envy of all 31 teams.

So youre sayin that youre fine keeping Agahlor here even though it might cut into Thortons play time.

Agahlor is the 2nd highest paid Patriot and Smith 3rd. Seems like an obvious place to trim dead weight.
Agholor is good every other year for some reason so I think he’ll earn his pay this season. I know you were asking someone else but allow me to butt in with a dubious opinion based on shaky anecdotal evidence.

That is not a standard clause, FWIW, and may not be in the Patriots' contracts. At least it wasn't in 2007; Brady had to sign a renegotiation to make the Moss trade work.

Its throwing a ball and catching it. How many ways can you run from point A to point B?

Kraft called out the drafting and the 2022 post season expectations. The only other NE WR plans to improve are Harry breaking out, Agahlor earning his keep and Parker staying on the field. I fathom that Thorton is the NE deep threat and that he was not drafted that high to play special teams. McDaniels is gone and the people replacing him arent Offensive Masterminds.
Good Morning Cousins,
Had to do it again this morning. Vanilla frosted Cinammon roll by "Davids"...........alas my last one!, but I have also had a medium slice of pumpkin bread spiced just right with nutmeg and a bit of clove. It was moist and didn't crumble to the touch as some that are too dry. Too much goodies? What the hell....I'll skip lunch.......Plus a cup of hot Hazelnut coffee ....and yet another cup right now as I peck away at this...and orange juice.

Interesting stat I have found Cousin:
WROPS combines a receivers catch percentage, and yards per reception, into a single statistic scaled to baseball’s OPS (On base Plus Slugging) statistic. 1.000 or above is excellent, .900 is very good, .800 average, and anything below that is terrible. WROPS is made up of two component parts, just like OPS; WROBP, and WRSLG. The benefit of WROPS is that it gives just as much credit to a high catch rate, high volume receiver as it does to someone who catches fewer balls but for more yards. Your slot guys and your bombers all get credit.

What this was used for is to determine if a player was over valued or not at their projected pick.. Thornton had a higher WROP than London, Olave, Metchie or Dotson. Williams and Watson had the best WROP. Thornton was above average. Basically it said London was over rated for where he was picked as example .
Earliest projected Latest projected WROP
Tyquan Thornton181192-110.8498.5417.03

This Thornton pick can go either way. It was too high at 50 (192 here might have been way too low) but is he a player...... or a guy who does "9" routes 4 or 6 times a game?

We never did get that quick slot guy did we? We need a guy that is the "Here-comes-the-blitz-and-I-need-to-get-rid-of-this-strange-shaped-ball-right-now-before-I-get-killed!". If you can, .........name this guy on our roster? How about; it's third and three and "I need someone to pop open over the marker ala Edelman/Welker/Brown?" Would Beasley hurt for a slot guy? He should be cheap and an FA. Oh yeah....82 receptions last year. Would you take half of that if most were first downs? This isn't Baylor Vs. North Texas State where you can have Thornton do a 12 yard down and out.

Is Thornton Chad Jackson or is he Malcom Mitchell with speed?

I see (and many here don't) Andy Isabella being available in trade to do that as well. Not many CBs that can handle his quickness. He was buried by the new regime and now even further down the depth chart with Hollywood Brown on board,....but Cousins,,,,,they need a bigger WR with Hopkins side lined and they have looked at Harry. Too easy.

So trading Neal saves CAP.

The sleeper alert is Laviska Shenault from the Jags that can be had. 63 catches last year in a no-defined roll. A.J. Brown just got traded to the Eagles. How many catches did Brown have last year?.....63, Plus Shenault can run Wildcat and take snaps

Thoughts?
DW Toys

That is not a standard clause, FWIW, and may not be in the Patriots' contracts. At least it wasn't in 2007; Brady had to sign a renegotiation to make the Moss trade work.
It absolutely is a standard clause in most contracts.

Teams can and have been converting salary to bonuses unilaterally / at their discretion for a while now.

2007 was 15 years ago. Lots of changes to the basic NFL contract frame work over that period of time. Ever hear of a Void year in 2007? Now their like a lego piece in a playroom

Last edited:
Good Morning Cousins,
Had to do it again this morning. Vanilla frosted Cinammon roll by "Davids"...........alas my last one!, but I have also had a medium slice of pumpkin bread spiced just right with nutmeg and a bit of clove. It was moist and didn't crumble to the touch as some that are too dry. Too much goodies? What the hell....I'll skip lunch.......Plus a cup of hot Hazelnut coffee ....and yet another cup right now as I peck away at this...and orange juice.

Interesting stat I have found Cousin:
WROPS combines a receivers catch percentage, and yards per reception, into a single statistic scaled to baseball’s OPS (On base Plus Slugging) statistic. 1.000 or above is excellent, .900 is very good, .800 average, and anything below that is terrible. WROPS is made up of two component parts, just like OPS; WROBP, and WRSLG. The benefit of WROPS is that it gives just as much credit to a high catch rate, high volume receiver as it does to someone who catches fewer balls but for more yards. Your slot guys and your bombers all get credit.

What this was used for is to determine if a player was over valued or not at their projected pick.. Thornton had a higher WROP than London, Olave, Metchie or Dotson. Williams and Watson had the best WROP. Thornton was above average. Basically it said London was over rated for where he was picked as example .
Earliest projected Latest projected WROP
Tyquan Thornton181192-110.8498.5417.03

This Thornton pick can go either way. It was too high at 50 (192 here might have been way too low) but is he a player...... or a guy who does "9" routes 4 or 6 times a game?

We never did get that quick slot guy did we? We need a guy that is the "Here-comes-the-blitz-and-I-need-to-get-rid-of-this-strange-shaped-ball-right-now-before-I-get-killed!". If you can, .........name this guy on our roster? How about; it's third and three and "I need someone to pop open over the marker ala Edelman/Welker/Brown?" Would Beasley hurt for a slot guy? He should be cheap and an FA. Oh yeah....82 receptions last year. Would you take half of that if most were first downs? This isn't Baylor Vs. North Texas State where you can have Thornton do a 12 yard down and out.

Is Thornton Chad Jackson or is he Malcom Mitchell with speed?

I see (and many here don't) Andy Isabella being available in trade to do that as well. Not many CBs that can handle his quickness. He was buried by the new regime and now even further down the depth chart with Hollywood Brown on board,....but Cousins,,,,,they need a bigger WR with Hopkins side lined and they have looked at Harry. Too easy.

So trading Neal saves CAP.

The sleeper alert is Laviska Shenault from the Jags that can be had. 63 catches last year in a no-defined roll. A.J. Brown just got traded to the Eagles. How many catches did Brown have last year?.....63, Plus Shenault can run Wildcat and take snaps

Thoughts?
DW Toys
Thorton stated that he has played every WR position. His game is not limited like a 1 trick pony. He said that he had to learn from different OCs at Baylor. I got the impression that he is a student of the game and is fully aware of what the other offensive positions are doing.

His ROPS score was 850 and right in line with WRs who went way before him. Dotson 803 went # 16 and London 832 went # 8.

I believe that the Pats have finally hit on a WR after 20 years.

It absolutely is a standard clause in most contracts.
We're using different definitions of "standard." I mean that it is not a part of the standard NFL contract found in the CBA.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back