PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we could use help at any position, perhaps even a starting RT. Personally, I think that we are fine with the 5 interior OL's, including backups Froholdt and Eluemunor,.

I expect us to add an OT. Wynn, Cajuste and Cunningham doesn't enough., even though Eluemunor can backup at OT, and even be an eligible OL.

STARTERS
Wynn
Thuney
Andrews
Mason
Cajuste

RETURNING BACKUPS
Froholdt (G/C)
Eluemunor (G/T)
Cunningham (T)

ADDITIONAL DEPTH
Onwenu
Herron
Gauthier

I don't expect Eluemunor or Cunningham to be on the final Roster, honestly. Especially since neither of them could beat out Newhouse or Ferentz last year for playing time.

I would rather the Pats bring back Newhouse on a 1 year deal and have him and Onwenu as well as Gauthier and another vet to complete the depth chart..

He sucked on both ends of the line. He just sucked less on the right than on the left. If he's your starter, your QB is a dead man walking.

Newhouse was servicable at LT. Your claims are complete BS as usual.

I think the best options are either Cajuste at RT, or sliding Thuney over with Froholdt at LG. I like their starting line options but depth is thin.

He sucked on both ends of the line. He just sucked less on the right than on the left. If he's your starter, your QB is a dead man walking.
Perhaps...But if not Newhouse/Waddle, then who? Cachoo? You'll need a solid Plan B if that's the case, preferably a veteran Plan B...

I can see that my methods are needed! Can you say comeback cat er eh coach of the year!

Perhaps...But if not Newhouse/Waddle, then who? Cachoo? You'll need a solid Plan B if that's the case, preferably a veteran Plan B...

Theoretically, they need to look outside the organization, and at names of players who haven't played in N.E. before. Practically, Scar's gone, the coronavirus (mod note: don't use that term again, please) is screwing up training, and they waited too long. So waiting on cuts, or looking at trades, is probably the best way to go, unless you/they think Donald Penn has something left in the tank.

I think that a lot of teams are looking at the 2021 projected cap floor of $175 million and will ditch their middle class. Lots of veterans who make 2-6 million a year are getting cut to clean up the cap this year so that they can carry over money to next year.

I think that the Patriots enviable cap position will allow us to grab some veterans depending on where we think we are thin.

Newhouse and Waddle have their limitations... however we know that they know the base offense, they know how things are done within the system... they can provide good depth this year... not asking for them to be full time starters, but they'd be good backups...

at this point im not sure why Marshall Newhouse hasnt been brought back... he wasnt vlad ducasse bad...

Yes, we could use help at any position, perhaps even a starting RT. Personally, I think that we are fine with the 5 interior OL's, including backups Froholdt and Eluemunor,.

I expect us to add an OT. Wynn, Cajuste and Cunningham doesn't enough., even though Eluemunor can backup at OT, and even be an eligible OL.

STARTERS
Wynn
Thuney
Andrews
Mason
Cajuste

RETURNING BACKUPS
Froholdt (G/C)
Eluemunor (G/T)
Cunningham (T)

ADDITIONAL DEPTH
Onwenu
Herron
Gauthier
It was interesting that when Gauthier was resigned they referenced him as a center. I remember him as a tackle in the preseason and thought he had some potential. Wish we had preseason games to watch the rookies and backups. I always enjoyed them but of course I wasn't paying a big ticket price to see them. I still don't know what Cunningham is. If he couldn't be equal or better than Newhouse, what could his potential possibly be.

There is talk of Thuney to RT.

Thuney has collegiate experience at RT and LT. Perhaps, this explains why the frugal Pats are willing to pay the franchise tag cost. Thuney is the 2nd highest paid Patriot in 2020. New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Cannon was on thin ice before he opted out. Cannon had an outstanding 2018 season but regressed in 2019. I watched Cannon get beat like a rug numerous times by a single rusher.
Cannon better than average right tackle, had to play with injuries to often. I saw him as a cap casualty this year. Will always think of him as one of the better Patriot right tackles.

Cannon better than average right tackle, had to play with injuries to often. I saw him as a cap casualty this year. Will always think of him as one of the better Patriot right tackles.

Run blocking yes. His size there will be missed, but TEs, FBs and Gs are also asked to block at the edges.

Cannon is 6 - 6 / 335

Wynn is 6 - 2 / 310

Thuney is 6 - 5 / 308

Run blocking yes. His size there will be missed, but TEs, FBs and Gs are also asked to block at the edges.

Cannon is 6 - 6 / 335

Wynn is 6 - 2 / 310

Thuney is 6 - 5 / 308

Perhaps it's simply a person preference at this point, but for me, I prefer a RT to be at least 325 pounds.

Wynn is injury prone, Cajuste is a complete unknown and can't be penciled in as a starter, Korey Cunningham couldn't beat out Newhouse who was terrible, Eluemunor is massive but not overly athletic, Herron I simply don't see much to get excited about...

They should bring in a value vet who gets cut for salary reasons after camp ends unless Cajuste, Cunningham or Eluemunor simply ball out.

Otherwise the interior of the line is really strong.

What does that mean about his current abilities?

It has only been a year, I would not suspect any change in his abilities. Tthe quad injury was noted at the time to be 4 months before a return (so the whole nfl year) but has already been over a year since he got hurt at camp. What is it a 50,000 bonus to get him in camp. Not my money. Within 2 weeks you can tell if he is back, if not that is when cutdowns happen. I have little issue with bringing in a guy late to be a backup.

They could have drafted Cesar Ruiz too with pick #23, but they traded it to the Chargers to get another 2nd rounder and Cesar was selected the very next pick at #24

Yes, Ruiz was my choice, didn't happen.
I had/have no problem with the trade-down; we needed at least one more pick before #87 besides the one at 23...Where Bill really missed the boat was his trade-UP from 71 to 60 merely to draft Josh Uche, when he instead could've stood pat at 71 and taken U of Houston OT Joshua Jones (or at the very least used #60 on him)...Jones would've Automatically been our top Swing Tackle, if not our Starting RT if Cachoo had another ouchie boo-boo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back