PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "STFU About Matt Cassel Being Better" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought we were over this, but apparently not.

Matt Cassel was a solid QB, a guy who saved our season last year, and deserves a lot of credit.

But please please please please please stop with the "We should have kept Cassel" threads. Please. Seriously. Stop.

I've watched Brady since he was at Michigan, and this might have been the most disappointing year I've ever seen out of him. Part of that was the knee injury; part of that was mental. And some of it may be attributed to injuries that haven't been disclosed. He lost his security blanket for the first few games of the year, as well as the last few games of the year. He had no #3 receiver, and a new OC. Or maybe he just lost his passion because of his wife and kids as some of you claim. :rolleyes:

Whatever the reason(s), just remember his 2009 season was still better than Cassel's 2008 season.

96.2 passer rating vs. 89.4
65.7% completion vs. 63.4%
4,398 yards vs. 3,693
28 TDs/13 INTs vs. 21 TDs/11 INTs
16 sacks for 86 yards vs. 47 sacks for 219 yards

And he did it against one of the toughest schedules in the league, unlike Cassel.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Matt. He did a great job for us while he was here, and I wish him all the best in KC. And I know people are hurt and upset over yesterday's debacle, which makes them emotional and irrational. But yesterday's game was embarrassing enough; there's no need to add to it by making ridiculous claims.

Edit: And before some take this as a defense of Brady's season, it's not. If you want to be critical of his play, please do so. Just please stop suggesting that Matt Cassel would have been a better alternative. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
You did not just compare the seasons of a seasoned pro veteran and a first time starter.

Re: The Official "(Please be quiet - edited) About Matt Cassel Being Better" Thread

You did not just compare the seasons of a seasoned pro veteran and a first time starter.

It's not a fair comparison, yet I saw several people make it yesterday, and somehow conclude that Cassel was the better option based on his 2008 season. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I'm really tired of seeing it pop up again and again and again and again...

Re: The Official "(Please be quiet - edited) About Matt Cassel Being Better" Thread

FACT: Brady is better than Cassel.

FACT: Most rational people expected Brady to have a subar year in his return and rehab.

FACT: Brady singlehandedly lost a couple of games for the team this season, games that Cassel probably would've won.

FACT: There is no way they were keeping Cassel and starting him and letting Brady ride the pine. They knew it was sink-or-swim with Brady as he came back from the year off.

All of those facts considered, Brady also faced something like the hardest schedule of pass defenses that any quarterback has faced in the past 14 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing